Page 1257 of 1263 [ 20198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1254, 1255, 1256, 1257, 1258, 1259, 1260 ... 1263  Next

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2024, 11:50 am

Last night my bride selected a fun movie for us to watch:

Night of the Lepus [1972]
<=+=>"They were born that tragic moment when science made its great mistake...
<=+=>"Theynow from behind the shroud of night they come,
<=+=>"They werea scuttling, shambling horde of creatures destroying all in their path."

She suggested she liked the movie because DeForest Kelley was in it. I think she liked the movie because of the bunnies!

P.S. In case you need this explained to you: avoid stampeding hordes of giant, carnivorous rabbits!

DazyDaisy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Mar 2024, 5:51 am

I just finished watching the "Zone of interest"...

I was wondering all the time how it is possible that seemingly ordinary people, who appreciate nature, flowers, gardening, farming, pets, family life, could be so emotionless while discussing the best extermination techniques of people аs if they are ants or cockroaches. How it is possible they've built their "heaven" next to the living hell, having their children watching and listening the horror of mass murderings happening during day and night, just across their wall.

You ask yourself do they have at least a tiny grain of conscience, do they feel any remorse? And you see that some of them do, when nobody is watching. Like Hedwige's mom who realizes in horror that red flashing lights that are breaking even through thick curtains, comes from crematoriums and burning people alive. Later on you see her completely drunk. Finaly, she leaves her daughter's "heaven" without saying goodbye, she just left her a note.

I only didn't understand the symbolism of a girl, recorded in infrared lights, who was leaving apples all around, in the secrecy of the night?

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2024, 12:10 pm

Last night, because "why not", we watched:

Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead [2006]

<=>YUCK!I'm not comfortable repeating its tagline.OH YUCK!YUCK!
<=>YUCK!If you want to see its tagline check here in IMDb.YUCK!

Disgusting. Revolting. Offensive. Weird. And, if you can get past all of that, FUN!

I've seen it before but I forgot it was also a musical.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2024, 2:22 pm

^^^
:lol: :lol: :lol: ! !!

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2024, 8:42 am

Himalaya (1999)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0210727/

Absolutely awesome photography. I'm still wondering how they could have got all of those people and yaks up the side of a shear cliff.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2024, 4:57 pm

Last night we watched:

WarGames [1983]
<=>"Is it a game, or is it real?"

A hacker hacks into a military computer thinking it belongs to a gaming company...almost causing WWIII.

The movie accurately illustrates an actual technique that can sometimes be used to guess a password.

The hacking technique "wardialing" got its name from this movie.

And a computer simulation of a missile attack was actually mistaken for a real attack on November 9, 1979.

Oh, it also is a reasonably good film.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2024, 5:41 pm

Last night we also watched:

Dr Bell and Mr Doyle: The Dark Beginnings of Sherlock Holmes [2000? 2003?]

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's "Sherlock Holmes" was inspired (at least in part) by a Dr. Bell. That truth is buried in this film, perhaps with a few others, but probably the film is mostly fiction.

But it is still an OK film.

ElmersTrueLove
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Mar 2024, 3:16 pm

All these mature movies yet I'm saying Kung Fu Panda 4

Elmer's wife since 2022

.。*゚+.*.。 ゚+..。*゚+

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2024, 3:20 pm

Lucky☆Star OVA

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2024, 7:43 pm

Double Retired wrote:
Last night, because "why not", we watched:

Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead [2006]
<=>YUCK!I'm not comfortable repeating its tagline.OH YUCK!YUCK!
<=>YUCK!If you want to see its tagline check here in IMDb.YUCK!

LOL!

Just watched Crime of Passion (1956)

With a bunch of stars and character actors including Barbara Stanwyck and Sterling Hayden (not a word about water, but it was 1956). It also included a 28 year old Joe Conley, aka Ike Godsey from The Waltons. he played a delivery person. I was amazed how little he aged between 1956 and 1972. In fact he may have Benjamin Button a bit between those dates.

A film noir drama where Barbara Stanwyck played a hard hitting newspaper woman who marries homicide detective Sterling Hayden named Bill. One thing I found interesting was how it was 1956 and she found she was caught in the 1950s view of "this is what a wife does." She is bored and irritated in one scene where the men are in the kitchen discussing crime drama (they are cops) and she is stuck in the living room listening to the wife discuss fabric and other things wives were suppose to be fixated on. She has a good old fashion melt down. There was also a scene where she uses a phone booth, and I'll be honest. I haven't thought phone booths were so cool since I was ten (1969). There is a maybe couple generations that will never know how cool the idea of a phone booth is. I was fascinated by them when I was a kid.

It was an interesting film, I liked the photography. Lots of odd angled framing, and what I think of as layered framing (one person close in the foreground and other people layered deeper in frame).

But I watched all of this in the context of a Rifftrax film, riffed by Bridget Nelson and Mary Jo Pehl. They were funny.

Scene: Barbara tells her husband Sterling something that angers him. He storms out of the house with her calling out - "Bill! Bill! Bill! Bill!" and Bridget says "Do I have his name wrong?" I don't know if that comes off funny or not, but in real time, I thought is was laugh out loud funny.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2024, 8:40 pm

The Little Mermaid (1975)

Again, this was a Rifftrax commentary with Mike Nelson, Bill Corbett, and Kevin Murphey.

This is a more faithful very of the Hans Christen Anderson story where the prince marries someone other than the Little Mermaid and she dies when she is unable to live in the ocean. She dissolves in a swirl of bubble as the oxygen leaks out of her lungs. It is presented in a less painful way. One of the guys says "So she dissolved in a pool of Alka-Seltzer?"

The ending to the 1975 Little Mermaid. It's Hungarian, so use closed captioning, unless you speak Hungarian, or don't care.
Also, when the prince looks out over the ocean, they say "I could try to save her, but that's too hard."

Ko Moon-young in It's Okay to Not Be Okay had an interesting take on The Little Mermaid, as she did on all fairy tales. Sadly, I could not find it, so I'm posting this.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2024, 1:16 pm

Last night we watched two films...

First film:

Even Dwarfs Started Small [1970]
We watched it in German with English subtitles.

What a waste of time.

definiteNo goodN O TNo goodR E C O M M E N D E D !No good :shameonyou:

After enduring that we both wanted some silly fun. We agreed on a movie but I messed up getting it. By sheer coincidence the movie I accidentally pulled was also not in English.

Second film:

Kung Fu Hustle [2004]
<=>"A film that proves being a good, bad guy is harder than it looks."
We watched it in Cantonese with English subtitles.

Wonderful, silly fun!

definiteNo goodY E SNo goodR E C O M M E N D E D !No good :thumright:

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2024, 12:48 pm

Last night we watched:

Lake Michigan Monster [2018]

Stupid fun. With emphasis on both.

The film goes out of its way to be both stupid and fun!

And we both thought the film was stupid and fun!

Good stupid fun! ^o^ RECOMMENDED ^o^

P.S. This film, as near as I can tell, has nothing in common with with The Creature from Lake Michigan...except both look low budget...and are stupid...and are lots of fun...and, of course, Lake Michigan.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2024, 2:21 pm

The Death Of Stalin.

Rewatched this historic dark comedy, where after Soviet dictator and mass murderer, Joseph Stalin, dies, his underlings scheme to take over, or work to keep others from replacing Stalin, all the while proving themselves to be incompetent buffoons. It especially highlights Stalin's totalitarian cult of personality, and the debate among said underlings if such a thing should continue, considering the deaths of millions it had led to, even though they all had been complicit in those deaths. I especially like this move, as Putin banned it in Russia.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2024, 6:04 pm

American Fiction. Catching up on Oscar winners I missed. I liked it, i thought it was very funny but I felt it fumbled the ending (even if it more or less acknowledges that the ending is fumbled - doesn't excuse it imo).

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2024, 5:49 pm

Last night we watched two movies just added to our collection:

A Polish Vampire in Burbank [1983]

Curse of the Queerwolf [1988]
<=>"Beware the full moon... Sweetie."

<=+=+>Crazy credits: "No dogs were harmed in the making of this film...
<=+=+=+=>Crazy Credits:_... We shot them all at the wrap party."

We agreed they were both good, low-budget, stupid, fun. She added: weird.

It was not until after we finished watching both films that I realized they were both from the same "studio": Pirromount Pictures.