Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

wiztrader
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Dec 2014, 11:52 am

Often I go thru periods where I feel like everyone hates me. Logically I know this is irrational but I still have to deal with it nonetheless. Maybe its set off by the upcoming holidays which I don't deal with well at all or something else? Maybe it helps me justify wanting to avoid people. Does anyone else feel this way or have constructive methods of dealing with it? Thanks!

existentialterror
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Dec 2014, 2:02 pm

I don't feel like everyone necessarily hates me, but I'm convinced that they have negative feelings about me/and or want nothing to do w/ me. Wish I had a constructive suggestion.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 2:05 pm

Have you ever actually been told that everyone hates you?

wiztrader
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Dec 2014, 4:58 pm

babybird wrote:

Well I guess I see your point. I haven't been "told" that but I often perceive it, esp when family comes around for the holidays. Lots of water under the bridge there so to speak.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 5:07 pm

wiztrader wrote:
babybird wrote:

Well I guess I see your point. I haven't been "told" that but I often perceive it, esp when family comes around for the holidays. Lots of water under the bridge there so to speak.

Apart from my daughter I don't have family, so I cannot speak from experience there.

However, the reason I asked that particular question was because for many years someone in my life took great pleasure in drumming it into me that "everyone" hated me.

At that point in my life I actually believed them because I already felt s**t about myself to begin with.

It took me a lot of years to realise and understand that this is not true. Of course there will be people who wont like me just as there are people in the world who I wont like. But at the same time there are people who will like me and I'll like them. These are the only people that matter.

Now, I have also learnt in my life that I am not so unique either. So if this rule fits for me then the chances are that it will also fit for you.

Keep safe, keep warm.

BB

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 5:16 pm

Yes like you I do have the creepy feeling that everyone hates me. Sometimes it gets so bad that I become afraid to leave the house. I feel for you.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 5:37 pm

While I don't believe I ever felt that people hated me, I have, most of my life, had a strong feeling that people were merely tolerating my presence. I've rarely felt like I really mattered to anyone.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 6:03 pm

One thing that has helped me is a little prayer I say numerous times a day; "God, help me to see myself as you see me not as other people in the world see me" :D

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 10:30 pm

Mindfullness based stress reduction is something I've been practicing regularly for the past 4 years and it has transformed my life. As someone with formerly low self-esteem who would also get sucked into destructive thinking patterns, it has the capacity to change how you think about yourself and the world around you.

It is a non-religious practice that, if done regularly, allows you to become less attached to negative thoughts and emotions and allows you to increase focus on the things you enjoy. It is becoming quite popular so I am sure there are classes and groups in your area. I've read several academic studies involving the success of this therapy among people with ASD, so it is definitely worth a try.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 10:54 pm

I don't hate you, so not EVERYONE hates you. :P

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

wiztrader
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Dec 2014, 11:10 pm

You know, everyones responses have been extremely helpful, thanks all. I do feel better. Hopefully I can get through the holidays without any meltdowns.

aneurysm - thanks for the tip, I will definitely check it out.

Happy Holidays all!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 11:30 pm

I don't hate you at all. I think you're a Sweet Pea. :D :P