Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jan 2015, 12:29 am

TheWadeSmellbringer wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
TheWadeSmellbringer wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
I think that YouTube needs to get themselves out of the Holocaust and get with the times.

That's overly negative dude. Youtube can't control whether or not people want to see mothers talk about how hard and inspirational it is to have Autistic children. I blame the general population.

Are you sure that's what he meant?

Pretty sure, either that or he's using hyperbole. Point is comparing Autistic people not being represented well on Youtube to the holocaust is a bit extreme.

Do you use Premiere Pro?

After watching your video, that's probably something I should have made a video on after reading about it in the WP thread. I did make videos on the popes speech and mssng though.

CWA
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 3:45 pm

Do you think anyone would watch a 7 year old with autism vlog? I think it's something my daughter might like to do. She is 7, autistic and... bright to say the least. She faces the challenges, but can talk about them in a way that a lot of kids don't. I have been torn on doing it because she is 7. OTOH, like you say, all we get is the parent perspective. Her experience isn't exactly like the children of those parents because she is verbal etc... but she still requires a full time aide in the classroom at school.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2015, 10:52 pm

CWA wrote:
Do you think anyone would watch a 7 year old with autism vlog? I think it's something my daughter might like to do. She is 7, autistic and... bright to say the least. She faces the challenges, but can talk about them in a way that a lot of kids don't. I have been torn on doing it because she is 7. OTOH, like you say, all we get is the parent perspective. Her experience isn't exactly like the children of those parents because she is verbal etc... but she still requires a full time aide in the classroom at school.

It's impossible to predict how many viewing there'd be but it would be positive in terms of raising awareness. On the other hand, she may have a desire for privacy as she gets older and end up regretting that it's all posted online. Obviously, it's up to you whether you let her do it. Maybe a podcast with a disguised voice would be a better option?

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jan 2015, 11:05 pm

CWA wrote:

She would also be unable to see around corners, and how anything she says, will be immortalised, and can be held against her for her entire lifetime. It also would only give a child's perspective, yet one that currently has problems to go through, and a lot of growing to do, and figuring out to figure out, which doesn't seem all that helpful to be honest.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2015, 6:13 pm

Moromillas wrote:
CWA wrote:

She would also be unable to see around corners, and how anything she says, will be immortalised, and can be held against her for her entire lifetime. It also would only give a child's perspective, yet one that currently has problems to go through, and a lot of growing to do, and figuring out to figure out, which doesn't seem all that helpful to be honest.

You're assuming, of course, that there would be enough views of the material in question to make the difference in people's opinions, not to mention the assumption that everyone, or even anyone, holds a 7 year old at their word only to hold it against them some 10-20 years later, and you're also assuming that youtube (or any other current social media out there on the net, as well as the video itself) will last long enough to make people hold something against her for an entire lifetime.
Frankly, that's an unrealistic and hyperbolic view, which is not only unhelpful, but it also discourages people from speaking out about their struggle by making them fear something that honestly never happens.

@CWA
If your daughter has a genuine desire to do videos and you don't object to the idea, then there's really no reason not to. Despite what some people here apparently believe, a youtube video doesn't have to have meaning for anyone but the creator, it's an expression of self (and a rather therapeutic one, for many, I might add), it doesn't have to be helpful for other people, only for the creator of the video, if someone else takes something good from it, that's just bonus. Just be safe about it, like all things internet related. In terms of privacy, nothing prevents either of you from deleting the entire account (and in extension, the videos attributed thereto) if, in the future, that becomes a concern for her.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jan 2015, 6:33 pm

Jaden wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
CWA wrote:

You're assuming, of course, that there would be enough views of the material in question to make the difference in people's opinions, not to mention the assumption that everyone, or even anyone, holds a 7 year old at their word only to hold it against them some 10-20 years later, and you're also assuming that youtube (or any other current social media out there on the net, as well as the video itself) will last long enough to make people hold something against her for an entire lifetime.
Frankly, that's an unrealistic and hyperbolic view, which is not only unhelpful, but it also discourages people from speaking out about their struggle by making them fear something that honestly never happens.

@CWA
If your daughter has a genuine desire to do videos and you don't object to the idea, then there's really no reason not to. Despite what some people here apparently believe, a youtube video doesn't have to have meaning for anyone but the creator, it's an expression of self (and a rather therapeutic one, for many, I might add), it doesn't have to be helpful for other people, only for the creator of the video, if someone else takes something good from it, that's just bonus. Just be safe about it, like all things internet related. In terms of privacy, nothing prevents either of you from deleting the entire account (and in extension, the videos attributed thereto) if, in the future, that becomes a concern for her.

No, it's not a case of, just delete it if there's a chance it will cause problems, or doesn't like it when she gets older. Once you put something on the internet, it becomes immortalised, meaning it doesn't truly die. Sure, you can delete the video, but that doesn't stop others from downloading it, or even using it in other videos, it doesn't delete their copies of it, and it doesn't make people un-see it. Since you mentioned deleting it if it becomes a concern, I'm going to assume you're aware of the sorts of problems that can arise.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2015, 4:53 am

Moromillas wrote:
Jaden wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
CWA wrote:

@CWA

No, it's not a case of, just delete it if there's a chance it will cause problems, or doesn't like it when she gets older. Once you put something on the internet, it becomes immortalised, meaning it doesn't truly die. Sure, you can delete the video, but that doesn't stop others from downloading it, or even using it in other videos, it doesn't delete their copies of it, and it doesn't make people un-see it. Since you mentioned deleting it if it becomes a concern, I'm going to assume you're aware of the sorts of problems that can arise.

Try to remember precisely what we're talking about here, a 7 year old who wants to do youtube, period. It's highly unlikely that anyone would download any of those videos, and it's just as unlikely that anyone will make a big deal out of any of them in the now, and certainly not years from now when people have likely forgotten about them.
I mentioned deleting the videos and/or channel if it became a concern to the individual who posted it, nothing to do with security, nor how others will have looked on it for (at that point) years, but a personal choice. You're blowing the whole idea completely off the deep end and you're exaggerating my points just as much. You're raising a very unlikely scenario as a point and a very flimsy point at that, you're falling so short of giving practical and useful advice it's not even funny.
I've been doing youtube for a long time, and I've known people who've been doing youtube even longer, and neither I, nor they, have come across the scenario that you've been trying to paint. It's just not realistic, period. You can claim all you like, but it doesn't make any difference because it'll still be just as unrealistic tomorrow as it is today.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jan 2015, 5:02 am

Jaden wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
Jaden wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
CWA wrote:

@CWA

Try to remember precisely what we're talking about here, a 7 year old who wants to do youtube, period. It's highly unlikely that anyone would download any of those videos, and it's just as unlikely that anyone will make a big deal out of any of them in the now, and certainly not years from now when people have likely forgotten about them.
I mentioned deleting the videos and/or channel if it became a concern to the individual who posted it, nothing to do with security, nor how others will have looked on it for (at that point) years, but a personal choice. You're blowing the whole idea completely off the deep end and you're exaggerating my points just as much. You're raising a very unlikely scenario as a point and a very flimsy point at that, you're falling so short of giving practical and useful advice it's not even funny.
I've been doing youtube for a long time, and I've known people who've been doing youtube even longer, and neither I, nor they, have come across the scenario that you've been trying to paint. It's just not realistic, period. You can claim all you like, but it doesn't make any difference because it'll still be just as unrealistic tomorrow as it is today.

No I'm not.

"Be careful what you put online"? No, it's not impractical, it's sensible and reasonable.

Nor are they 7 year old's that can't see around corners yet, and if they say "go for it" they're just as foolish.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2015, 5:07 am

Moromillas wrote:
Jaden wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
Jaden wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
CWA wrote:

@CWA

No I'm not.

"Be careful what you put online"? No, it's not impractical, it's sensible and reasonable.

Nor are they 7 year old's that can't see around corners yet, and if they say "go for it" they're just as foolish.

"Be careful what you put online" is an obvious given that I'm sure the parents have already thought of. But that is not the same as "it can haunt you for years to come" which is what you've been trying to outline here.
You've highlighted the very unlikely, the negative, and ultimately discouraged pursuit of the endeavor as a whole by trying to scare them out of the idea altogether, that's not helpful, that's not sensible, and it serves no purpose.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jan 2015, 5:28 am

Jaden wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
Jaden wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
Jaden wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
CWA wrote:

@CWA

No I'm not.

"Be careful what you put online" is an obvious given that I'm sure the parents have already thought of. But that is not the same as "it can haunt you for years to come" which is what you've been trying to outline here.
You've highlighted the very unlikely, the negative, and ultimately discouraged pursuit of the endeavor as a whole by trying to scare them out of the idea altogether, that's not helpful, that's not sensible, and it serves no purpose.

Yes it is.

No it's not. Well too bad, reality sucks sometimes. How much more is it going to suck when things turn sour, you haven't thought any of this through.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2015, 5:52 am

Moromillas wrote:
Jaden wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
Jaden wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
Jaden wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
CWA wrote:

@CWA

No I'm not.

Yes it is.

No it's not. Well too bad, reality sucks sometimes. How much more is it going to suck when things turn sour, you haven't thought any of this through.

At this point you're just spouting out a bunch of nonsense.

Perhaps then you could tell us what a supervised 7 year old could possibly do or say on youtube that would f**k up their life? I mean, if your argument had any merit whatsoever, the least you could do is enlighten the rest of us as to how it's remotely logical to assume that said 7 year old would be filming, editing, and uploading said video on their own, because you're basically asserting that the parent who's asking the question in the first place wouldn't be sitting there and doing the uploading, the editing, and final cut and even the filming, just to make sure there was nothing inappropriate or damaging, which is an assumption that has no basis.
I personally wasn't going to insult them by making that assumption, but I guess that's something you just didn't seem to think about.
It seems to me that it's you who hasn't thought any of this through.
Regardless, it's for neither of us to say one way or the other whether or not youtube is a good idea, it's the parent's job to parent their kid and to make decisions on their own about what's best for their child, regardless of the basis or who else disagrees. And it's equally their job to supervise such interactions on the net, I'm sure they know that. If they feel they can maintain such interaction and supervise as they should, then that is their choice. I personally will not resort to hyperbole in order to discourage them.

I'm leaving. Say what you will when I'm gone, it's not hard to predict that you will (everyone like you does).
I'll add this topic to the list of topics that I've had to leave because of idiotic arguments like this, a trend which is making me question my stay here on WP, once again.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jan 2015, 6:18 am

Jaden wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
Jaden wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
Jaden wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
Jaden wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
CWA wrote:

@CWA

No I'm not.

Yes it is.

At this point you're just spouting out a bunch of nonsense.

Perhaps then you could tell us what a supervised 7 year old could possibly do or say on youtube that would f**k up their life? I mean, if your argument had any merit whatsoever, the least you could do is enlighten the rest of us as to how it's remotely logical to assume that said 7 year old would be filming, editing, and uploading said video on their own, because you're basically asserting that the parent who's asking the question in the first place wouldn't be sitting there and doing the uploading, the editing, and final cut and even the filming, just to make sure there was nothing inappropriate or damaging, which is an assumption that has no basis.
I personally wasn't going to insult them by making that assumption, but I guess that's something you just didn't seem to think about.
It seems to me that it's you who hasn't thought any of this through.
Regardless, it's for neither of us to say one way or the other whether or not youtube is a good idea, it's the parent's job to parent their kid and to make decisions on their own about what's best for their child, regardless of the basis or who else disagrees. And it's equally their job to supervise such interactions on the net, I'm sure they know that. If they feel they can maintain such interaction and supervise as they should, then that is their choice. I personally will not resort to hyperbole in order to discourage them.

I'm leaving. Say what you will when I'm gone, it's not hard to predict that you will (everyone like you does).
I'll add this topic to the list of topics that I've had to leave because of idiotic arguments like this, a trend which is making me question my stay here on WP, once again.

No it isn't a bunch of nonsense. The word alone is more than enough for people to make a judgement call about you, no you haven't thought any of this through.

When you get offended over nothing, ad hom, then storm off like a child, well maybe you should leave.

What is it with you and reading insults into everything.