Boss said "you're not making any friends here"

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

specialsauce
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jan 2015, 6:39 pm

The coffee machine at work needed emptying as it was full of coffee grounds and as I was doing that it was making an annoying screeching noise. Someone said "aggghh that noise", then my bosses boss (head of department) said "you're not making any friends here".

Seemed like an overreaction to what was an unintentional annoyance, and he never really talks to me so I wonder if me making that noise once is what made him say that or maybe other people have complained to him about me and this is his way of telling me? Am I reading too much into it?

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2015, 8:15 pm

I think you're reading too much into it.
He was probably making a joke about the how unpleasant the noise is to everyone.

Dmarcotte
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Jan 2015, 3:28 pm

You are reading to much into it - if I was there I would have said exactly the same thing as a way to 'relate' to the people there.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2015, 4:18 pm

He's also acknowledging that you are doing a thankless job--though he wishes your could do it more quietly.

bacun
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jan 2015, 9:23 am

specialsauce wrote:
The coffee machine at work needed emptying as it was full of coffee grounds and as I was doing that it was making an annoying screeching noise. Someone said "aggghh that noise", then my bosses boss (head of department) said "you're not making any friends here".

Seemed like an overreaction to what was an unintentional annoyance, and he never really talks to me so I wonder if me making that noise once is what made him say that or maybe other people have complained to him about me and this is his way of telling me? Am I reading too much into it?

Wow ,wut?

He clearly was making a joke about the annoying sound you were causing from cleaning it .

thatsrobrageous
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2015, 8:33 pm

bacun wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

Wow ,wut?

He clearly was making a joke about the annoying sound you were causing from cleaning it .

I was gonna say, he was making a joke about the person being annoyed. Sarcasm is hard to understand sometimes, even for me I still have it a little bit.