Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Shadewraith
Toucan
Toucan

10 Jan 2015, 7:32 pm

My doctor recently put me on Wellbutrin at my own asking and it took away that crippling emptiness I've been feeling. I'm laughing more, I'm less irritable, and sleep is just so restful for me now. However, I can't seem to find anything engaging. I get excited about an idea, but when I actually do it, it bores me to death. I've tried working on my programming, playing video games, and playing music. For my birthday, my parents got me what is, in my opinion, the holy grail of guitar amps that I've been pining over for years (Mesa Boogie Mark V for you gear heads) and my girlfriend bought me an Xbox One. I've barely had the will to touch it either of them.

Should I ask my doctor to put me on additional meds? I feel like I'm on the right track with my current profile (Lithium and Haldol for balancing my mood and OCD/intrusive thoughts, and Wellbutrin for depression), but I'm not quite there yet. I'm afraid to ask my doctor to put me on any other meds because, he had been fighting me about the Wellbutrin for months and was pleasantly disappointed (is that a thing?) that it worked and he was wrong.

Erlyrisa
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 6:03 am

You have a girlfreind? ...and your depressed? 8O
:?

Were you hoping for more girlfriends? Maybe a nest?

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 8:03 pm

you're on 3 drugs already. That's a lot. Maybe it's the drugs that are making you like this.

Have you tried cognitive therapy for OCD?

slave
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 7:48 pm

Shadewraith wrote:
My doctor recently put me on Wellbutrin at my own asking and it took away that crippling emptiness I've been feeling. I'm laughing more, I'm less irritable, and sleep is just so restful for me now. However, I can't seem to find anything engaging. I get excited about an idea, but when I actually do it, it bores me to death. I've tried working on my programming, playing video games, and playing music. For my birthday, my parents got me what is, in my opinion, the holy grail of guitar amps that I've been pining over for years (Mesa Boogie Mark V for you gear heads) and my girlfriend bought me an Xbox One. I've barely had the will to touch it either of them.

Should I ask my doctor to put me on additional meds? I feel like I'm on the right track with my current profile (Lithium and Haldol for balancing my mood and OCD/intrusive thoughts, and Wellbutrin for depression), but I'm not quite there yet. I'm afraid to ask my doctor to put me on any other meds because, he had been fighting me about the Wellbutrin for months and was pleasantly disappointed (is that a thing?) that it worked and he was wrong.

Treating depression is a very complex task.
It is possible for a med to deal with certain signs and not others.
Anhedonia, apathy, boredom, etc... are certainly signs of depression and you may need more than Wellbutrin or a med other than Wellbutrin.
Only a Psychiatrist can address this complexity.

I'm glad you are improving at all. :D :D :D :D :D

PS CBT may be part of the solution. Meds are only partial.

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2015, 8:28 am

Shadewraith wrote:

Work on your projects a little bit at a time and try to name how you are feeling during the project and after the project. Boredom is a blanket term so try and be specific. Take up your guitar and play your favourite song. You have to do it and not stare at the guitar. Then once you are finished ask yourself how you are feeling. Connect your mind to your action. It will take practice because you get used to living in a blank state so you have to reconnect to the world. Do the same thing with your other favourite activities. Also, do not forget your self care (eating well, sleep hygiene and exercise). You have to push back against the anhedonia.

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 7:01 pm

Shadewraith wrote:
I get excited about an idea, but when I actually do it, it bores me to death.

This is quite odd. Like, really weird to me. Wellbutrin, increasing dopamine, making you be excited about an idea, makes a lot of sense to me. The following 'but when I do it it bores me' is odd. Maybe you should be on an SSRI as well?

I find my depression is really the 'nothing excites me' type. If I get involved in something, I generally enjoy it, unless it is something I already think of as boring.

But then when you explain 'I've barely had the will to touch either of them', that seems to not actually be that you got excited about the idea.

What does caffeine do to you?

Poor motivation

Kron
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Apr 2015, 8:47 am

Shadewraith wrote:
My doctor recently put me on Wellbutrin at my own asking and it took away that crippling emptiness I've been feeling. I'm laughing more, I'm less irritable, and sleep is just so restful for me now. However, I can't seem to find anything engaging. I get excited about an idea, but when I actually do it, it bores me to death.

Hi, I'm new here, but I can relate to your problem. I get these inspirations in some activities, but by the time I'm up and about to start, it stops and my interest in doing anything is back to zero. To cope with this issue, I found that if I push myself harder everyday (OCD helps, just need to find the right trigger), I could make progress and get further and further with my projects. Hope this helps.
Kron

slave
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2015, 11:34 am

Shadewraith wrote:

How are you doing now?
You have been very quiet of late.
Could you let us know how you are? :)

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2015, 5:45 am

I'm also depressed and completely bored though I don't have gf last six years.
Meds didn't helped. Well, nothing helps even a bit. I have no reason for life, no real goals (I try to set and achieve them but it's useless), no desire to survive and mostly think of suicide.

sparrowblue
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 May 2015, 6:14 am

Depression has little to do with whether you are in a relationship or not. It's entirely possible to have a "great life" and still end up suffering from depression. Just as it's possible to have very little but not suffer from depression. Anyone who thinks that the simple fact of having a girlfriend should have "cured" OP's depression by default, please go and learn up on what depression actually is...

Anyway, depression is different for different people but I can very much relate. Things lose their meaning and point, there's a lack of motivation to do things, even "fun" things, that you get very little out of. Even especially those things, because it's possible to more logically comprehend the reasons and need to try to get things like work done despite the lack of motivation while enjoyable things all but totally lose their meaning if they are no longer enjoyable. It's like there's no substance to them, no way to properly engage. Like only playing pretend at doing things where the vital connections are missing.

OP, I hope you are doing better and have managed or do manage to figure out some solutions.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2015, 9:41 am

Andreger wrote:
I'm also depressed and completely bored though I don't have gf last six years.
Meds didn't helped. Well, nothing helps even a bit. I have no reason for life, no real goals (I try to set and achieve them but it's useless), no desire to survive and mostly think of suicide.

I'm saddened to hear this.
I can relate.
Only those of us who have been there can understand.
It is a bitter hell realm within the mind.
Some try meditation or mantra repetition to help ease the pain. It's not religion, it is actually Neuroplasticity. It does help some people. Worth a try? Idk. You decide.
Take care.

Judas
Raven
Raven

09 Jun 2015, 7:44 pm

My sympathies to OP, I know how much this sucks. I struggle with the same issue myself.
What I find helpful is a daily meditation practice if you have the patience and calm enough mind for it. Finding somthing worth while doing that is meaningfull to you personally, some project or life long ambition to strive towards. Just be sure to start off slowly and don't over work your self. Ofcourse, finding that what ever can be challanging in a state like this. Having a todo list with no more than three items per day also helps me a lot. Its also important to take time for yourself and enjoy things or go out with friends.