Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

aspieinsane
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Jan 2015, 8:27 pm

Hi everyone. It has been a recent discovery actually that I have selective mutism. I don't know exactly how or why its there and there isn't anyone qualified enough in my country to explain it to me (third world country) and so, I wanted to know if anyone else suffers from it. It would be great to get some answers because I find it ironic that all this time I found Raj from the big bang theory to be hilarious without even realizing that I was laughing at myself.

Couple that up with extreme social anxiety, mild paranoia and the social skills of a potato, I am pretty much at wits end. Not to mention the looks I get when I try to speak and my mouth doesn't open and I look like a demented mime.

I actually feel a bit better because no one has been told of any of this as they wouldn't understand and I would be ridiculed even more so its good to get it off my chest even if it is just on the internet.

becky72
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jan 2015, 10:42 am

One of the requirements for being diagnosed with Selective Mutism is that it can not be accounted for by Aspergers or autism. I was diagnosed as selectively mute at the age of about 3 but think it is possible that I have Aspergers instead. Both Aspergers and SM people will have problems with social skills but people Aspergers. I can only really speak from my own experience. I get overwhelming anxiety in social situations to the point I find myself physically unable to speak. I don't know whether or not this is experienced by people who have been diagnosed with Aspergers or not.
So I'm not entirely sure if I am SM or Aspie. It is possible I was diagnosed wrong or I may have just picked up some aspergers like traits.
Anyway SM is the failure to speak in certain situations. It's like I just shut down.

Jimothy1669
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Jan 2015, 4:10 pm

I was selectively mute as a child (diagnosed as such, though I think AS would have been more appropriate and am in the process of being reassessed), though less so as an adult. I know several people diagnosed with AS who consider themselves to have occasional mutism, though I kind of disagree when they refer to it as 'selective' as their mutism is variable rather than consistent/persistent. That said I also know of a psych who refers to AS patients as having selective mutism despite the mutual exclusivity of the diagnosis. I think mutism can be a convenient descriptive term.