Juvenile Twitter Feeds Costing Me Job Offers?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2015, 5:27 am

Since potential employers can check what I'm doing and what I've done online, do you think that some of my juvenile Twitter feeds are costing me job offers relating to math tutoring?

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2015, 12:53 pm

Possibly...
Did you make them private along with your Facebook and other social media accounts?

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 2:43 pm

^ I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean, xenocity.

bacun
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Feb 2015, 5:26 am

A lot of social media sites allow you to delete or make hidden posts to non-friends ,look into that .

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2015, 3:34 pm

I'm more worried about how there are people following me even though I'm not following them back.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2015, 6:15 pm

I do not use my real name for my Twitter or Facebook. My friends know who I am and other people just follow.

I have had 4 employers who regularly mined Facebook, Instagram, and Instagram accounts of employees and future employees. This is the reason for the alias.

My BIL is a principal and he does a social media search as part of his application reviews.

So yes, people do do searches for new hires.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2015, 7:08 pm

Tawaki wrote:
So yes, people do do searches for new hires.

Two way street: the applicant should also do this to see what kind of boss/coworkers he/she can expect.

I've also done this when checking out products from companies to see if they how management are taking care of the company, i also read comments to see if their talented employees stay within the company or if they leave in hordes.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2015, 8:24 pm

LonelyJar wrote:
^ I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean, xenocity.

The private setting allows anyone on your approved friends list to see what you posted, while making it invisible to everyone else.

Employers regularly Google your name to see what pops up.
Sometimes this means you get passed over thanks to someone else popping up with the same name as you but with a much worse record.

E.G. if a known criminal has a similar or same name as you and pops up in the first page of the search, employers may associate with you.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2015, 8:32 pm

why are they juvenile?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 11:45 am

Never put anything online under your real identity that you don't want everyone to know about you. Lots of people, including employers, data mine for information on people.

Put "safe" information about yourself on public social media sites. For stuff you don't want just anyone to know, post up under an assumed identity.

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 9:58 pm

I use my real name but anything pertaining to my job is never posted.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2015, 9:52 am

You should find out how to change your settings on all your social media to "private."

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 9:47 am

I don't know why more people just use pen names for online posts. You can't be tracked that way.

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. The best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2015, 10:26 am

Silver_Meteor wrote:
I use my real name but anything pertaining to my job is never posted.

Still poses the same problem. What if what you're comfortable sharing (like AS or your special interests) makes you look like an odd duck.

You have to see social media like a giant resume or CV. You only want to show your best features...or at least negligible negative factors...to the world. Use a pen name to post up stuff that's honest but could paint a picutre others won't find approving.

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2015, 11:37 pm

LonelyJar wrote:
Since potential employers can check what I'm doing and what I've done online, do you think that some of my juvenile Twitter feeds are costing me job offers relating to math tutoring?

I think it's possible.

My HR department says they'll look at social profiles during the application process, and my future coworkers said they looked up the candidates, too.

I keep my Facebook "friends only" but, those are mostly professional contacts, so I treat them like all of the others social channels I use on public settings... My guideline is "if I wouldn't say it to my Grandpa, don't post it."

I do have a private forum with some close colleagues where we post more juvenile and unprofessional things, but, it's not open to the public and we do use aliases there. That's good enough for me. I can let my hair down there and have cheap laughs... Prim and proper everywhere else, though.
Reputation counts a lot.