Man with autism dies days after apparent home invasion....

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 11:30 am

vermontsavant wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
I have actually heard you call 911 if you hear someone breaking into your house or hear someone in your home. Stay hidden and call 911. But some people would rather attack the intruder simply because they are afraid of their stuff getting taken and depending on what state you're in, this is actually legal. If they saw you and started running out of the house, then that law may not apply anymore where you are allowed to attack or shoot them. Instead you get in trouble if you kill them when they were running. But I can't believe people would make fun of someone for calling them because they didn't attack their intruder.
YES.the law in most states says just that.if you think you hear an intruder you should first call police if you can safely get to a phone,then hide.if the intruder realizes your home and flees you may not follow him.

but if your backed into a corner you may defend yourself

This happened back when I was in high school or so in the early 2000's. When I lived in Montana, there was a man in Missoula who woke up in the middle of the night and heard something outside. He looked out the window and caught a teen trying to steal the radio from his car so he screamed at him and the kid took off running, the man grabs a gun and shoots him in the back. He went to prison. I am sure this man was innocent but he didn't know his laws well so he thought he had the right to shoot because he was on his property but the man's life was no way threatened and the kid was running. He should have gone outside and lock his car or call the police. But what would they do? He would have already been gone. I remember hearing in school lot of states allow people to shoot you if you are on their property. That sounds insane because what if someone is standing on your lawn or walks up to your front door to sell something or just to ask something. This kid was on his property so he shot him and got in trouble for it, go figure. Maybe that teacher was full of it or was misinforming the information and wasn't clear in what she was telling her students. But man someone could take that literal and shoot someone and go to prison for it because they were on their property.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 5:57 pm

League_Girl wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
I have actually heard you call 911 if you hear someone breaking into your house or hear someone in your home. Stay hidden and call 911. But some people would rather attack the intruder simply because they are afraid of their stuff getting taken and depending on what state you're in, this is actually legal. If they saw you and started running out of the house, then that law may not apply anymore where you are allowed to attack or shoot them. Instead you get in trouble if you kill them when they were running. But I can't believe people would make fun of someone for calling them because they didn't attack their intruder.
YES.the law in most states says just that.if you think you hear an intruder you should first call police if you can safely get to a phone,then hide.if the intruder realizes your home and flees you may not follow him.

but if your backed into a corner you may defend yourself

This happened back when I was in high school or so in the early 2000's. When I lived in Montana, there was a man in Missoula who woke up in the middle of the night and heard something outside. He looked out the window and caught a teen trying to steal the radio from his car so he screamed at him and the kid took off running, the man grabs a gun and shoots him in the back. He went to prison. I am sure this man was innocent but he didn't know his laws well so he thought he had the right to shoot because he was on his property but the man's life was no way threatened and the kid was running. He should have gone outside and lock his car or call the police. But what would they do? He would have already been gone. I remember hearing in school lot of states allow people to shoot you if you are on their property. That sounds insane because what if someone is standing on your lawn or walks up to your front door to sell something or just to ask something. This kid was on his property so he shot him and got in trouble for it, go figure. Maybe that teacher was full of it or was misinforming the information and wasn't clear in what she was telling her students. But man someone could take that literal and shoot someone and go to prison for it because they were on their property.
i believe as far as i know a person on private property may only be asked to leave,if he returns he can be arrested

i believe a burglery must be commited to justify threat response

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2015, 1:08 pm

There was another story about three teens breaking into someone's home in the middle of the night and the owner woke up with them in it so he shot at them and the two only got away while the other was shot dead. Guess who got charged with murder? The runners and they didn't even pull the trigger nor have a gun. But by law the home owner was in the right to shoot and the teens appeared on the Dr. Phil show about it because they don't believe they deserve their sentence and their parents don't agree with it either.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2015, 4:32 pm

League_Girl wrote:
There was another story about three teens breaking into someone's home in the middle of the night and the owner woke up with them in it so he shot at them and the two only got away while the other was shot dead. Guess who got charged with murder? The runners and they didn't even pull the trigger nor have a gun. But by law the home owner was in the right to shoot and the teens appeared on the Dr. Phil show about it because they don't believe they deserve their sentence and their parents don't agree with it either.
thats not a political issue but a legal one.

even if the home owner was held responsible for the shooting, the fleeing suspects would still be charged with murder.its called "felony murder" which means that if someone dies in the commission of a felony all participating members of the felony are held equally guilty.

the issue was not transfering guilt from the home owner shooting to the fleeing burglers but the fact that a person died during a felony they commited