What would u do if spouse told u, "honey I'm on Mars 1!"?

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 11:09 pm

^^^^

Oh good lord. I'm living in a dystopian novel, I swear I am living in a dystopian novel.

"Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favor!!"

Actually off the top of my head, I'm reminded more of The Long Walk (an early short novel of King's).

Or maybe Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Which I did not actually find all that enjoyable-- Dick's style really wasn't up my alley. I only read it twice-- once because it was assigned, and once because it was hanging around the house. But the story and the underlying themes stuck with me. Major English Lit Nerd Moment!! ! :nerdy: :nerdy:

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 12:28 am

guzzle wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

Mars' orbit is just over three light-minutes away from Earth's. Theoretically, you could transmit a message between the two planets in that time. In practice, the planets can be nearly 25 light minutes apart. The message would need to be sent to NASA or whoever, who could then forward it as an email to their family. Very slow conversations.

I believe that typically its actually closer to ten light minutes. At least that was the kind of delay that NASA experienced when controlling the three rovers they sent. Either way conversationalism would be impossible between the planets and there will need to be satellites with significantly superior bandwidth in orbit around Mars before any kind of Earth-Mars 'internet' is feasible. I believe it will happen though.

I am concerned for the individuals that Mars One and Space X are sending though. We aren't talking about hardened astronauts but members of the general public plucked off of the street. Going to Mars carries all kinds of health risks not even faced by professional astronauts, such as greatly increased radiation exposure and hightened risk of muscle atrophy, sterilisation and exposure to cancers. The longer you stay in space the more dangerous it becomes and these people will certainly be breaking the records.

Then there's the concern about mental health. To say that many could be expected to express "buyers remorse," once they are away from home and loved ones for a significant amount of time, would be an understatement. With growing depression, and the accompanying anger, one or more team members will suffer psychotic breaks, cover their faces with their own feces, and crack open everyone else' skulls for the yummy brains inside.

Might have some good reality TV coming your way and get the chance to decide for yourself which 'contestants' are emotionally up to the job 8O :lol:

Quote:
The regional selection may be broadcast on TV and Internet in countries around the world. In each region, plans include 20–40 applicants participating in challenges including rigorous simulations, many in team settings, with focus on testing the physical and emotional capabilities of the remaining candidates, with the aim of demonstrating their suitability to become the first humans on Mars. The audience is to select one winner per region, and the experts can select additional participants, if needed, to continue to the international level. The regional selection may be broadcast on TV and Internet in countries around the world. In each region, plans include 20–40 applicants participating in challenges including rigorous simulations, many in team settings, with focus on testing the physical and emotional capabilities of the remaining candidates, with the aim of demonstrating their suitability to become the first humans on Mars. The audience is to select one winner per region, and the experts can select additional participants, if needed, to continue to the international level.[36][37]

From the previous selection series, six groups of four are to become full-time employees of the Mars One astronaut corps, after which they are to train for the mission. Whole teams and individuals might be deselected during training if they prove not to be suitable for the mission. Six to ten[citation needed] teams, of four people, are to be selected for seven years of full-time training. It is anticipated that this selection round is planned to run until the end of 2015
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_One#R ... ion_period

I read they were going to broadcast the Mars odyssey as a reality show otherwise they won't have enough money to fund the mission. Some Dutch company.

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 3:51 pm

Spouse: "Honey, I'm on Mars 1!"
Me: "Good Apollo... I'm burning Star IV."

A burden discerned in the blood you taste