Are relationships always this complicated?

Page 13 of 18 [ 285 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 9:14 pm

I understand you don't want kids. But she wants kids.

If she gets a hysterectomy, obviously she won't be able to have kids. This absolutely DEVASTATES some women. If some woman knows she can't create life, that would make her believe that she is not a viable person. It depresses them in the extreme.

Of course, she could adopt--but that's not the point, really. Women want to create life.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 11:26 pm

Amity wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
I don't like to see her suffer so I suggested there was a cure for her problem. I said she could get a hysterectomy. She really hated this. She got all emotional and I wasn't sure why.

Ahh, the practical solution for hormonal emotions.
Maybe next time she complains about period pains make her a cup of tea/favourite beverage, give her some chocolate and fill a hot water bottle for her, instead of offering practical solutions.

I've heard sex helps some women. relieves the cramps if I remember right, though with others it makes it worse. though wouldn't offer sex if hes considering leaving her.

I'd probably try cuddling though idk if that would help. I want to comfort and to me thats physical touch like cuddles and hugs. sex might be a option but I'm not equipped for that so I don't think I'll ever offer. wonder if its just intercourse or if toys and ogasm would help.

does cuddling help some women? or should one just throw some chocolate in the room and run.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 12:29 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
I don't like to see her suffer so I suggested there was a cure for her problem. I said she could get a hysterectomy. She really hated this. She got all emotional and I wasn't sure why. She said "You're trying to kill our future baby". Why does she keep talking about having kids? Not with me I hope. That would be too much responsibilty for me to deal with.

Your relationship is just as toxic as it was a week ago.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 2:06 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
a lot of young women have trouble with is understanding that their male partners do look at the world entirely differently than they do and actually, truly, do not know what the problem is
Yeah, she was saying I don't understand how girls feel. Note, she said "how girls feel", not "how girls think" and also note she didn't seem to realize this problem is common to many guys, not just me.
DW_a_mom wrote:
furthermore, that a guy not knowing why his girlfriend is upset is not a sign the relationship is bad (which is how their romantic notions tend to spin it).
Yes she does have a lot of romantic notions. She used to send me these cutesy romantic Facebook stickers which I found terribly kitsch. I never knew quite how to respond. She's stopped doing that now, much to my relief. She's stopped acting cutesy kitsch like she used to. E.g. she will no longer use "love" four times in one sentance.

Dw_a_mom wrote:
Not to mention, they often don't have the experience or patience to articulate sensitive issues and, thus, fall back
Yeah, she can be impatient and she can be inarticulate. I think she's more comfortable spesking Cantonese than English. Since I only see her on (some) weekends, most of our commication (and arguments) is through text messages. Her use of txt speak is compounded by her slightly broken English. I often don't understand what she's saying and further inquiry into what she considers to be a sensative subject can anger her further.

When I'm with he, her use of short sentances and the fact that she's an art major indicate that she's a visual thinker. I alwsys have trouble communicating with visual thinkers. They tend to think that brevity is mire important than precision in their speach.

Beau
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 2:14 am

sly279 wrote:
I've heard sex helps some women. relieves the cramps if I remember right, though with others it makes it worse.

Sounds a bit unappealing with the menstrual cycle and all lol. Anyways, it reminded me of how sex helps induce labor if a pregnant woman misses her due date.

sly279 wrote:
does cuddling help some women? or should one just throw some chocolate in the room and run.

mmm chocolates. Just throw and run. :lol:

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 4:54 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Amity wrote:
Ahh, the practical solution for hormonal emotions.
Maybe next time she complains about period pains make her a cup of tea/favourite beverage, give her some chocolate and fill a hot water bottle for her, instead of offering practical solutions.
Excellent suggestions for when she's at my place. Yesterday she was at her place, and I was at work.

So this all transpired during written communication, in two separate locations, wow. I assumed you were face to face!! She contacted you to tell you about her discomfort?
I know from the earlier pages of this thread, that you are eager to learn about relationships, but honestly this all seems unhealthy and I do not want to imagine what types of warped understandings both of you are going to take from this experience.
Think before you write something to her again, would you like it to see it quoted with your photo on social media (eg dating sites)? How long does the request take to remove information from a google search? Does that remove cached information too?

@Sly I usually dont feel emotionally amorous when Im in pain, it might work for other women though.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 5:02 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Why does she have to be so overemotional? e.g. yesterday. She complains that her period pains are killing her. I tell her to take it easy and not do any housework. She says her sister says she has to and she can still do it. She says women can still have difficult careers and don't need to take sick days every time they menstruate (I'm still trying to figure out how they can tolerate that) but I think a career woman wouldn't complain about it all the time like she does,

I don't like to see her suffer so I suggested there was a cure for her problem. I said she could get a hysterectomy. She really hated this. She got all emotional and I wasn't sure why. She said "You're trying to kill our future baby". Why does she keep talking about having kids? Not with me I hope. That would be too much responsibilty for me to deal with.

I said if she wanted a more temporary cure that wouldn't render her permanently unable to have kids she could go on the pill. She got offended by this too because she said there was a risk it could damage her ovaries and make her infertile. I've noticed that she generally dislikes western medicine.

She said the things I was saying were hurting her more than her period pains. The problem with her is that I can't argue with her. I don't mean she's brilliant at arguing, I mean she doesn't attempt to argue at all She just acts offended. I feel like I'm not trail in a kangaroo court, not permitted to say a word in my own offence. She gets offended that I would even attempt to defend myself. The trick is finding the right way to apologize. Just saying "I'm sorry isn't enough".

The problem is, she doesn't communicate very well. When I ask what her problem is she says "You should know" or "I shouldn't have to tell you". She knows I've got aspergers yet she insists on being vague about everything. Her texts (and sometimes speech) are often not in complete sentences (and never punctuated) making it hard for me to understand what she's saying, If I ask for more detail I offend her more, I feel like I'm walking on egg shells gods damn it. I try so hard not to offend her and then I end up offending her anyway. I came so close to dumping her last night.

Why don't you do a castration surgery? Maybe you'll stop needing to date anyone.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 8:00 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
Although fixing her up with some tea, chocolate and a hot water bottle as an earlier poster suggested is a LOVELY idea, a simple caring and loving gesture.
Yes, Amity came up with some nice ideas. I'll try them over the weekend. Good thing the weather has cooled down. It was a heatwave last week and a hot water bottle wouldn't have helped.
DW_a_mom wrote:
If you feel the need to make suggestions, the best one in this circumstance would have been, "have you talked to your doctor about your pain?" There are medical options of differing effectiveness but they aren't really something to be heard from a boyfriend: you aren't a doctor, you don't know her medical history and, well, it is far too easy to stick your feet in it.
Very true. She mentioned something vague about "I need to see a doctor" but said nothing more about it.
Beau wrote:
Next time, offer to help her with the housework.
I would if we were in the same house. She was at her house. Her (extended) family makes her do most of the housework and cooking since she's the only one there who's unemployed. They make her do it even when she's not feeling well. They made her do it last week when we went through a heatwave without turning on the air conditioner because they're total skinflints and the air conditioner costs money to run. I've noticed she suffers from the heat worse than I do. She'll break out into a sweat and say it's very hot when to me it's only mildly hot. Last week it was very hot and I think she was in danger of getting heatstroke. I feel sorry for her living with a family like that, who care more about saving a few dollars than her health.

Sometimes I think I should let her move in with me to spare her from her cruel family. At the moment she's stopped talking about moving in because she thinks my mother hates her. My mother doesn't hate her, she merely said she thought it was too soon for her to move in. I think gf misinterpreted her words. I also don't like how the overfeed her with food past it's expiry date. They give her way too much, more than she can comfortably eat, and if she doesn't finish it they berate her for being ungrateful.
Beau wrote:
Oral contraceptives do have their own set of side effects, but as far as I know, ovarian damage is unlikely. The purpose is to suppress ovulation by altering the levels of hormones in the body. Has she tried Advil/Aleve/Aspirin to reduce the pain? That may be a better solution for her since she is unwilling to take contraceptives.
She's not really pro-science. She also believes I'm going to die from taking sleeping pills. I have insomnia so sometimes I take a sleeping pill or I'm a zombie the next day.
Beau wrote:
Just tell her that you can't read her mind and if there's something that she needs/wants from you, then she needs to say it bluntly.
Yeah, a few weeks ago she was saying she wants me to tell her everything. Why can't she do the same? She said the key to a good relationship is communication yet she doesn't seem to practice what she preaches.
Beau wrote:
BTW, why did you decide to keep the relationship going?
Yes, I've calmed down now. Maybe I got overemotional as well.
kraftiekortie wrote:
Of course, she could adopt--but that's not the point, really.
At one point she suggested we adopt and I said it would annoy me more to raise someone else's kids than my own. She said we could adopt so the kid wouldn't have aspergers and that really annoyed me. I said if she was that concerned about it I'd rather use gene therapy than adopt (bonus points if we get to choose the sex).
kraftiekortie wrote:
Women want to create life.
What an odd thing to want.
sly279 wrote:
I've heard sex helps some women.
She says she's not ready for sex yet... Also sex during her period sounds really gross.
sly279 wrote:
I'd probably try cuddling though idk if that would help.
Yeah, I think think that might help. It usually seems to calm her down.
Amity wrote:
Think before you write something to her again, would you like it to see it quoted with your photo on social media (eg dating sites)? How long does the request take to remove information from a google search? Does that remove cached information too?
I don't think texts between mobile phones will show up on Google.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 8:05 am

Amity wrote:
Lol, I thought of that after the 20 minute edit time.
Annoying yeah, it used to be two days!
Amity wrote:
A belly rub would also be good.
Wait, would that really help?

I thought that would cause more pain, like when I have a sprained ankle I don't want anyone to touch it. I'll do it if it will help.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 8:07 am

This sounds like you're over-thinking this.

She wants to have kids. You don't. You don't have to have kids if you don't want them. She could go on to someone else who does want kids.

The hysterectomy thing wasn't good. I would advise against ever again advising anybody to have an hysterectomy.

Most people like to create new life, no matter what "philosophy" some people have (i.e., the world's too cruel a place to create life, etc).

Babies are beautiful. Life is beautiful. Despite the fact that the world "sucks."

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 8:38 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
I don't think texts between mobile phones will show up on Google.
Fair enough, my point is to be careful with what you put in writing, you have an ability to say some hurtful things. The spoken word fades with time, words you have written attached to your digital record can be re read, resurface at a later date and can be shown to other people.
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Wait, would that really help?
I thought that would cause more pain, like when I have a sprained ankle I don't want anyone to touch it. I'll do it if it will help.
A gentle circular belly rub can be nice, it's a distraction, but check with her first, everyone is different.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 9:39 am

OK, a belly rub might actually be a good idea. Now I just have to figure out which massage oil to use. I can't order it online since I'll need it tomorrow. I'll have to find a shop that sells that kind of thing in the city since by the time I get home the shops are closed.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 9:44 am

I wish I knew the name of it--but there's some Chinese stuff which really helps my wife when she has aches and pains. I think it has camphor in it.

I would say...any oil might actually do the trick, especially those which are scented. Also: be gentle at first. You have to find out her threshold. People have different thresholds. If she gets impatient, just tell her to be patient, and to allow you to reach the threshold.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 9:44 am

Make sure you won't say "That 's too much fat" while you're belly-rubbing her.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 9:51 am

Yeah, if there's one thing that being with her has taught me that never occurred to me before, it's being gentle. She's already told me to be gentle a few times before.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 10:06 am

My suggestion wasn't about making grand gestures Retrogamer, its about demonstrating compassion for a fellow human being when they need it. The fuss of ordering a special oil will not balance out the previous horrid things you have said, but doing the difficult social-emotional things like treating her as an equal might.