Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 3:30 pm

Janissy wrote:
The slave trade of Africans had a lasting negative effect on the social structure of the U.S. That is why it still carries current grievance. The slave trade of Irish had nowhere near that effect and modern U.S. people of Irish heritage are not living with its' aftermath. That is the difference.

I learned about it in history class as a kid in the U.S. under the guise of 'indentured servant'. The writer in the link you posted says that 'slave' was the accurate term and the term 'indentured servant' has innacurately minimized what was done to those people. However, there weren't centuries of social fallout which still linger today, unlike with the trade in Africans.

There had been in fact indentured servants from other places than just Ireland or the rest of the British Isles. Many Germans, Dutch, French, and others had entered into indentured servitude during the days of colonization, including to America. The difference between indentured servants and later out and out slaves is, an indentured servant very often entered into that situation with a contract in order to repay a debt, or to get passage to somewhere else to start anew, rather than seen as subhuman property. Unless the master was a bastard who pulled sh*tty little tricks to keep his servant in bondage for in perpetuity (such as one who had gotten a female servant pregnant, then won a court case against her to continue to work to recover the lost time), most would be freed at the end of his or her term. In fact, many black slaves were originally treated more like indentured servants, till chattel slavery replaced indentured servitude.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 3:32 am

Janissy wrote:
The slave trade of Africans had a lasting negative effect on the social structure of the U.S. That is why it still carries current grievance. The slave trade of Irish had nowhere near that effect and modern U.S. people of Irish heritage are not living with its' aftermath. That is the difference.

I learned about it in history class as a kid in the U.S. under the guise of 'indentured servant'. The writer in the link you posted says that 'slave' was the accurate term and the term 'indentured servant' has innacurately minimized what was done to those people. However, there weren't centuries of social fallout which still linger today, unlike with the trade in Africans.
So in a way slavery of Irish people was funny while the African slave trade was horrible and wrong? I honestly dont think slavery of any kind is funny but neither do I think that the descendants blaming the descendants of the slavers is ok either.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 7:31 am

AspieOtaku wrote:
Janissy wrote:

So in a way slavery of Irish people was funny while the African slave trade was horrible and wrong? I honestly dont think slavery of any kind is funny but neither do I think that the descendants blaming the descendants of the slavers is ok either.

Nothing in my post said or even implied that I thought it was funny.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 4:34 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
So in a way slavery of Irish people was funny while the African slave trade was horrible and wrong?

No, the point is being argued that persecution (ie the modern legacy of slavery) of Irish people in America manifests nowhere near as acutely as it still does to this day against black people. For example, If you're Irish in modern America you aren't more likely to be challenged by police or less likely to go to university purely by merit of your ethnic origin.

Anti Irish persecution only really existed within living memory in Britain and Northern Ireland.

My deviant art profile

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 4:28 am

thomas81 wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
So in a way slavery of Irish people was funny while the African slave trade was horrible and wrong?

No, the point is being argued that persecution (ie the modern legacy of slavery) of Irish people in America manifests nowhere near as acutely as it still does to this day against black people. For example, If you're Irish in modern America you aren't more likely to be challenged by police or less likely to go to university purely by merit of your ethnic origin.

Anti Irish persecution only really existed within living memory in Britain and Northern Ireland.
Ahh ok most my Ancestors were mostly Southern Irish with the exception for my mothers side which were Northern Irish and Black Irish.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

NobodyKnows
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 9:20 pm

Janissy wrote:

What I was taught about indentured servitude was close to Kraichgauer's description. That's not what the author was talking about, though:

John martin wrote:
The Irish slave trade began when James II sold 30,000 Irish prisoners as slaves to the New World.

John martin wrote:
Slave owners would hang their human property by their hands and set their hands or feet on fire as one form of punishment. They were burned alive and had their heads placed on pikes in the marketplace as a warning to other captives.

I haven't checked his facts.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 9:24 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
http://www.africaresource.com/rasta/sesostris-the-great-the-egyptian-hercules/the-irish-slave-trade-forgotten-white-slaves/ This is true and not too many people know about this but you don't see all descendants whining about it!My Ancestors were slaves to the British but do you see me blaming Brits or hating Brits for everything? Nope I was never alive during that time and my ancestors owners are long dead.

There's also indentured servitude which is just about like slavery and just as bad, and transporting which basically meant if you were found guilty of a crime, your penalty, rather than be hanged in Britain, was to be transported to "the new world." There were many people in the colonies who were indentured servants.

Life was full of many horrors back then. In Britain, you had places where people were sent because of debts known as debtor's prisons and you had your poor houses where people were sent only for being poor. An almshouse was not an uncommon sight. County houses, too, where they warehouses the poor. In America, quite a few were immigrants.

I've read some Charles Dickens :D

Doesn't sound like a very pleasant time when so many were poor, deprived of rights or enslaved and look at how people complain about every little thing nowadays. Think of how miserable it must have been at the time if you were unfortunate by birth. In Britain, they believed crime ran in the genes, too, and if you were born poor, it was due to your genes and you simply were incapable of being a good person and were only worthy of contempt.

Last edited by ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo on 28 Feb 2015, 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

invaderhorizongreen
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 9:27 pm

The way I have always seen it is that any wrong belongs only to the perpetrators of said wrongs. Blame does not lie either with those that came before them, nor the ones born after them. They had nothing to do with it, furthermore it does not entitle me to hate an entire people for the actions of a few.