Are Autistic Men More Likely to be Misogynistic?

Page 14 of 18 [ 285 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Autistic Men are More Misogynistic than Average?
I'm a male and I agree. 17%  17%  [ 27 ]
I'm a male and I disagree. 55%  55%  [ 86 ]
I'm a female and I agree. 12%  12%  [ 19 ]
I'm a female and I disagree. 15%  15%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 155

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 5:45 pm

Geekonychus wrote:
I don't think emotional immaturity or lack of social skills is the cause of misogyny in Aspies so much as a cognitive empathy gap.

The best example I can think of is the numerous threads I've seen here discussing the issue of consent and rape. Many guys will show high affective empathy for the accused (perhaps being teased or called creepy before in their past) and assume most women are lying. This is where the cognitive empathy gap comes in. It's easier to relate to other sad lonely guys on the internet (like the blatantly predatory pick-up artist community, for instance) then to try to relate to the experiences of someone not like you. Next thing you know, they have internalized the misogyny and as a result, become all but undateable (the clinical term is douchebag.) This "game" nonsense creates far more forever-alones than it does players.

Social skills aren't everything. My luck at dating turned around when I stopped trying so hard and was open about my weirdness. There are girls that like awkward guys, believe it or not, and they aren't worried about how much of an alpha you are or whether you said the exact right thing at the right moment. The thing is, you aren't going to get anywhere at all with a girl if you start the date resenting her.

jono wrote:
Why would you want to date someone who you resent anyway?

Someone further up the thread pointed out that they've seen the "alpha male" types treat women like a neccesary evil so that they can have a sexual relationship with someone. All they want is sex, but it comes attached to a woman they don't particularly like, but their hormones want the sex so they spend time with the person they don't like because they are attracted to her. Not very mature, but it happens.

Geekonychus' post is one I would upvote/like if we had that function. Yes, I totally agree that it would be easier to empathise with the dude who is being called a creep if you are a decent bloke who has also been called a creep even though you meant well, but in doing that, missing the point that the guy they are defending isn't like them and is actually a complete total and and utter creep.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 6:59 pm

I'm female and I disagree. I don't think aspie men are more hostile to females than males in general. If anything, I would think that in percentage there are more aspie males who respect females as equals than there are NT males who do. Unfortunately, there is a lot of misogyny in the world, though.

I also think the aspie males who are misogynists might be more likely to be open about it anywhere than NT males would, at least in this part of the world. I doubt most aspie males look down on females, I think it's more down to romantic and sexual rejections causing resentment. Some might add 'coupled with emotional immaturity' here, but I think that's a general reaction in people, so I think it's a human reaction a lot of people would have. Aspies are just more likely to express it freely.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Mar 2015, 7:05 pm

No, no... not a thread like this.

Elliot Rodger happened. Let's not feed the neurotypical masses, guys.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 7:23 pm

The average frustrated Aspie (and frustrated long-term single man no matter what his neurology is) bears NO relationship/correlation to Elliot Rodger.

Elliot Rodger is in his own homicidal/suicidal category.

We should not lend any credence to the man, who I hope is not having a pleasant time in his purgatory.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 11:43 pm

What is misogyny, eggsacly?
Do misogynistic men hate women?
If I hated men, what would be my thought process about them?

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 4:38 am

btbnnyr wrote:
What is misogyny, eggsacly?
Do misogynistic men hate women?
If I hated men, what would be my thought process about them?

Misogyny = hatred of women
Misandry = hatred of men
Misanthropy = hatred of people in general

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 5:14 am

People tend to be biased and it's really hard to objectively judge if a comment is misogynous/misandrous.

I can only talk about it from my own perspective. I'm a gay autistic man. I can only see women as totally equal human beings as men. I have no respect for those women that expect to be treated differently (preferentially) just because they are females (and those men that support that idea). I might be seen as a misogynist when I show that attitude, although I'm simply opposing sexism. I have been called a woman-hater because I treated them equally.

jacobadom8
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Mar 2015, 6:31 am

There is no evidence to support your statement that autistic men tend to be misogynist any more than men without autism.

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 6:41 am

No, but I can understand how on the surface it might seem that way at times. Given that most men with Autism are socially awkward - no doubt many have run into feelings of rejection. The sad feeling of once again being rejected by someone they are attracted to might give the impression of misogyny.

- Albert Einstein

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 7:34 am

A few people who express their views strongly can skew the impression one gets of the typical view.

There are a small, vocal group of people here who routinely express the fringe view that there is no such thing as global warming and if there is any climate change, it is not caused by human activity.

I am pretty sure that this is not representative of WP membership in general, but I have sometimes wondered if there is something about autism that makes people more susceptible to belief in these ideas. Then I consider that those threads are a sort of echo chamber, with like-minded people reinforcing each other.

I have seen some exchanges with misogynist perspectives bouncing back and forth between a few angry males and I think this dynamic could create the impression that the problem is worse than it is.

There are times when I think aspects of the social communication problem that is a core feature of autism creates misunderstandings about how people develop and maintain relationships that can feed a misogynist perspective. But I think these ideas circulate in the neurotypical population, too, so autism is not a necessary or sufficient explanation for developing those views.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 10:59 pm

Anyone else find the poll resutls hilarious?

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Individuals of the same species are almost genetically clones except tiny % of variation in DNA ("DNA fingerprint"), yes every individual is unique but not THAT unique, especially among same culture, each one of us is not an isolated temple genetically and culturally speaking.
Most studies on humans show curve bells, correlations ...etc- if each one of us was 100% unique and totally different from the next then such graphs would show mosaic clouds of spread dots. It's for the same reason why there's popular food and unpopular food for example

For example I bet 99.99% of women would prefer a non-serial killer over a serial killer man - and there are logical reasons why, one of them is because most of us humans have a natural fear from death.

So? That fact is there is still a huge amount of variation among people on the factors we actually consider to matter.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

ICollectWatches
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Mar 2015, 6:59 am

Behind the scenes of *any* geeky convention there is always a discussion of poor impulse control and sexual harassment.

Geek culture is such an enigma. There is certainly a problem of frustration and poor impulse control, but there is also a desire to be seen as progressive. On the internet, the latter has better control in smaller, tight-knit groups, where people are concerned for their in-group reputation.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2015, 7:05 am

Ganondox wrote:

Three times more males than females even responded to it.

Orangez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Mar 2015, 4:21 pm

Ganondox wrote:

Why is this hilarious? I see no problem with this logic as no one is that unique as we are just system of biological functions. Thus, we have similar thought processes as we grow up with certain memes and genes. The " 0.05% difference still translates to 3 million differences"* as resulting how we can be so similar yet have differences. I am sorry that your childish belief that everyone is unique and special is wrong. I know it is hard to expect free will does not exist and people enjoy thinking as a tribe and not individually. But, once you accept this fact people will become easier to understand as people usually follow the invisible puppet master of our genes and instincts.

* http://genetics.thetech.org/ask/ask166

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2015, 12:40 am

I'm Transgendered and I disagree.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

07 Mar 2015, 2:14 am

smudge wrote:
^ And they are black and white thinkers, as are the ASD women.

True.