Page 1 of 8 [ 125 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2015, 10:52 am

AspieUtah wrote:
Do we actually, really need dynasties in America? Whether it is the Adamses, the Roosevelts, the Kennedys, the Bushes or the Clintons, none of them have ever done better than their familial predecessors (who weren't fantastic in hindsight, anyway).

Nepotism
Quote:
Nepotism is favoritism granted in politics or business to relatives. The term originated with the assignment of nephews to cardinal positions by Catholic popes and bishops. Nepotism is found in various fields including: politics, entertainment, business, and religion. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nepotism#By_country

Good old USofA politicians are just playing catchup with the rest of the world. Better get used to it I suppose.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2015, 1:45 pm

I can see her being elected because she is not liked. I can see voters thinking she is not a wimp, tough and yes a b***h. Probably we will be attacked by ISIS or Al Queda or both competing with each other in a big way before the election. A lot of voters will think a women like that will really freak those Jahidists out and if they get out of line she'll nuke em. So what if the inner reason is revenge on men and Bill?. The Republicans will throw everything at her but historically that has backfired. They could produce a college lesbian tape, if adultery helped Bill's popularity in 1998 a tape like that will only hurt her opponents in 2016.

Yes a charismatic candidate could beat her but where is that person?. Something egregious like taking bribes from the Saudi's might do her in, Oh wait doing business with the Bin Ladin family and sending hundreds of family away before questioning after 9/11 did not hurt Bush.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2015, 11:51 pm

I've read posts from a handfull of gals and a couple guys here who I bet love Hilary.

I however, do not.

The woman has no class and doesn't know how to dress.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 1:42 am

So, no one will cop to actually liking Hilary or wanting to see her in the White House?

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 11:26 am

We need a white dude for president next time. That way maybe all the crazies will get bored with politics and go back to watching professional wrestling.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 11:32 am

Dox47 wrote:
So, no one will cop to actually liking Hilary or wanting to see her in the White House?
I dunno ... can she cook?

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 12:34 pm

The way you continue a political dynasty, is to be one that is relatively unknown. The whole family is too exposed for that.

I don't see her being elected. However I don't think she will get a small percentage. It will be close. She may of course drop out before that.

These "does anyone like x?" can be misleading, becuase in every election there are silent majorities/minorities.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 12:46 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
She's a smart lady. I don't find her personality particularly attractive--I'm sure she's a slave-driver

There were reports when Bill was President that she did not want staffers to address her at all. Not even a good morning. From what I read, if she was coming down the hall, you found a way to get out of the hall so as not to draw her wrath.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 12:58 pm

Americans are too concerned with personal, and character sniping in politics.

Although I hate french politics, they have pretty much got it right were personal matters are concerned. What matters is performance, not private life.

The rumours about Hillary, why are they coming out now an not before? Criticise her political performance. Margaret Thatcher wasn't a looker.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 1:03 pm

Regarding Hillary's 2008 campaign, this may be worth reading to see what to expect from a 2016 campaign. From http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2008/09/the-front-runner-s-fall/306944/:

Quote:
Above all, this irony emerges: Clinton ran on the basis of managerial competence—on her capacity, as she liked to put it, to “do the job from Day One.” In fact, she never behaved like a chief executive, and her own staff proved to be her Achilles’ heel. What is clear from the internal documents is that Clinton’s loss derived not from any specific decision she made but rather from the preponderance of the many she did not make. Her hesitancy and habit of avoiding hard choices exacted a price that eventually sank her chances at the presidency.

... The poll produced a curious revelation: Iowans rated Clinton at the top of the field on questions of leadership, strength, and experience—but most did not plan to vote for her, because they didn’t like her.

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 5:55 am

I'd venture to guess that most of her fanbase is shared with that of 50 Shades Of Crap.

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 6:13 am

Far be it for me as a mere European to express an opinion, although the US President always has a decisive influence on world affairs, not just domestic policy. Personally I think you'll regret electing Hilary: she'll be as divisive, reactionary and unprincipled as Margaret Thatcher was, and for not-dissimilar reasons - in order to be 'tougher' than any man.

But as others here have said, what other credible candidates are there? Perhaps one day you'll elect a Native American (hope I've got the term right, I know it can be contentious) - say a member of the Sioux Tribe ...

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 7:14 am

This is not really about Hilary. It is about the Democratic Party. Considering that politics in the US (and other Western countries) is dominated by white males, and the reality that a politician would most likely have reached the point in their careers at which they would be in a position to run for President some time in their early fifties, the Democratic Party basically has no viable candidates unless some complete unknown shows up and blows everyone away.

64 per cent of white males voted Republican in the last election, however personal observation tells me that the number is much higher for males in the aforementioned age group. TBH I can't entirely explain it. This is a cohort who went to high school in the late 70s under Carter then to university in the early 80s under Reagan. How that led the majority to embrace Republicanism in their youth and remain loyal thereafter I can't really say (I am not judging, I seriously do not know). My generation went to high school in the 60s under Johnson and to university in the 70s under Nixon, and was overwhelmingly liberal (or seemed so at the time). The only distinction that occurs is the Vietnam War plus the events leading to Nixon's resignation which the cohort 10 years later is too young to remember first hand.

For one thing, I think Hilary is too old to be running for President. At the age when she would be inaugurated, I would like to be looking forward to retirement especially if I had all her money.

I think the next resident of the White House will be decided at the 2016 Republican Convention, with or without help from Clint Eastwood.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 5:45 pm

If the polls are accurate within reason, then over half the country likes Hillary.

It doesn't help that their isn't a GOP candidate who is moderate enough to survive primary season.

Though in the end can Hillary legally assume the office of president, due to her being a woman??

Article II, Clause 1: Executive Power

Quote:
The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America. He shall hold his Office during the Term of four Years, and, together with the Vice President, chosen for the same Term, be elected, as follows

Clause 6: Vacancy and disability

Quote:
In Case of the Removal of the President from Office, or of his Death, Resignation, or Inability to discharge the Powers and Duties of the said Office, the Same shall devolve on the Vice President, and the Congress may by Law provide for the Case of Removal, Death, Resignation or Inability, both of the President and Vice President, declaring what Officer shall then act as President, and such Officer shall act accordingly, until the Disability be removed, or a President shall be elected.

Clause 7: Salary

Quote:
The President shall, at stated Times, receive for his Services, a Compensation, which shall neither be increased nor diminished during the Period for which he shall have been elected, and he shall not receive within that Period any other Emolument from the United States, or any of them.

Clause 8: Oath or affirmation

Quote:
Before he enters the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:—"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

Clause 1: Command of military; Opinions of cabinet secretaries; Pardons

Quote:
The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States; he may require the Opinion, in writing, of the principal Officer in each of the executive Departments, upon any Subject relating to the Duties of their respective Offices, and he shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_Tw ... nstitution

There are many more clauses to Article 2, which list the president as a HE.
12th, 20th, and 25th amendments also list the president as a HE.

I want to see someone challenge Hillary (or any other woman), who wins the election for president based on the literal wording of the constitution.

The constitution makes it very clear that only a man is allowed to be president.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 6:08 pm

xenocity wrote:
If the polls are accurate within reason, then over half the country likes Hillary.

It doesn't help that their isn't a GOP candidate who is moderate enough to survive primary season.

Though in the end can Hillary legally assume the office of president, due to her being a woman??

The pronoun he may refer to a man or woman when talking about someone who's gender is not specified.

Similarly, a chairman[i], [i]fireman, or a policeman is not necessarily male.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 6:54 pm

xenocity wrote:

Article II, Clause 1: Executive Power

Quote:
The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America. He shall hold his Office during the Term of four Years, and, together with the Vice President, chosen for the same Term, be elected, as follows

Clause 6: Vacancy and disability

Quote:
In Case of the Removal of the President from Office, or of his Death, Resignation, or Inability to discharge the Powers and Duties of the said Office, the Same shall devolve on the Vice President, and the Congress may by Law provide for the Case of Removal, Death, Resignation or Inability, both of the President and Vice President, declaring what Officer shall then act as President, and such Officer shall act accordingly, until the Disability be removed, or a President shall be elected.

Clause 7: Salary

Quote:
The President shall, at stated Times, receive for his Services, a Compensation, which shall neither be increased nor diminished during the Period for which he shall have been elected, and he shall not receive within that Period any other Emolument from the United States, or any of them.

Clause 8: Oath or affirmation

Quote:
Before he enters the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:—"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

Clause 1: Command of military; Opinions of cabinet secretaries; Pardons

Quote:
The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States; he may require the Opinion, in writing, of the principal Officer in each of the executive Departments, upon any Subject relating to the Duties of their respective Offices, and he shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_Tw ... nstitution

There are many more clauses to Article 2, which list the president as a HE.
12th, 20th, and 25th amendments also list the president as a HE.

I want to see someone challenge Hillary (or any other woman), who wins the election for president based on the literal wording of the constitution.

The constitution makes it very clear that only a man is allowed to be president.

No matter what the legal odds no matter how big a landslide she wins by the Republicans will try this and if they lose legally will try and impeach her on those grounds and the emails and whatever else.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman