Page 8 of 8 [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 9:01 pm

sly279 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
And another thing, about stds they test for before issuing a license...it's like, if the state doesn't test, two people with stds will marry and spread it when, in reality, if they are going to spread it, it's likely already been spread. It's not even in line with society's norms so what's the excuse for requiring a marriage license from the state? If people have symptoms of std they go to their doctors, get it treated, they don't wait around for a test from the state to tell them they are ill.

what state does this? not mine o.O

reason for marriage in law is so you get family rights, like being able to visit in hospital or make decisions for your spouse if they are unable to. lot of things one can only do via being married. so I can see why gays would want that too.

anyways if I'm mistaken isn't gay marriage legal in all states now due to obama and supreme court? so why is this still an issue. unless its the left wanting to mandate churches preform the wedding in which case that would be pretty clear violation of the religious freedom.

It's legal in 38 states currently and a few additional localities within the remaining state.

I can see why they want the family rights, but they should already have those rights. Those rights should be already existent without marriage at all if wanted... like they were less than a hundred years ago.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2015, 8:25 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Protogenoi wrote:
em_tsuj wrote:
If she wins the primary, I will probably vote for her Republican opponent. She couldn't run the State Department, so how can she run the whole Federal Government?

What if Bush wins the Republican Primary? Which evil will you choose?

Americans have the right to vote a third party candidate or write in a candidate not on the ballet. While I have not decided on 2016 I have done both in the past and will probably do it again. You will piss off the election workers volunteers if you ask to write in a candidate. Every election is in some way a vote for the lesser of two evils. In some elections I have voted for the lesser of two evils. When I have felt both candidates would be an utter disaster I used the alternative options. What can I say, my brain is wired to think and do what most people would not or abhor. They do abhor you if you don't vote for one of the two major parties. I have gotten way way more anger and contempt for not voting for candidates from the two major parties then when I vote for a major party candidate.

The cliche of the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over failing and expecting things to get better. America has overwhelmingly voted for one of the two parties and the political system has gotten more and more broken. There is nothing in the constitution about a to party system. We have it because that is what most chose.

I can't wait for the current generation to get out and a new one to take over. Barack Obama is part of a newer generation. So is Rand Paul. It seems current people are fighting battles of the 60's and 70's over and over again and not focusing on the real problems now. What are we going to do about climate change, infrastructure, education, the working poor, addiction, obesity, the government ignoring the 4th amendment, crazy finances on the federal level?

Sorry...a tangent...but that is one of the reasons I don't want Hillary. She is too old.

I used to vote third party but now I am more strategic. It really doesn't matter who I vote for though because of the electoral college. I live in a conservative state. I never vote for the winning candidate because I think too much outside the box.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 4:28 pm

Clinton Slips in New Poll, But Stays Ahead of GOP Rivals

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2015, 10:32 pm

xenocity wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
xenocity wrote:
If the polls are accurate within reason, then over half the country likes Hillary.

It doesn't help that their isn't a GOP candidate who is moderate enough to survive primary season.

Though in the end can Hillary legally assume the office of president, due to her being a woman??

Article II, Clause 1: Executive Power

Quote:
The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America. He shall hold his Office during the Term of four Years, and, together with the Vice President, chosen for the same Term, be elected, as follows

Clause 6: Vacancy and disability

Quote:
In Case of the Removal of the President from Office, or of his Death, Resignation, or Inability to discharge the Powers and Duties of the said Office, the Same shall devolve on the Vice President, and the Congress may by Law provide for the Case of Removal, Death, Resignation or Inability, both of the President and Vice President, declaring what Officer shall then act as President, and such Officer shall act accordingly, until the Disability be removed, or a President shall be elected.

Clause 7: Salary

Quote:
The President shall, at stated Times, receive for his Services, a Compensation, which shall neither be increased nor diminished during the Period for which he shall have been elected, and he shall not receive within that Period any other Emolument from the United States, or any of them.

Clause 8: Oath or affirmation

Quote:
Before he enters the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:—"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

Clause 1: Command of military; Opinions of cabinet secretaries; Pardons

Quote:
The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States; he may require the Opinion, in writing, of the principal Officer in each of the executive Departments, upon any Subject relating to the Duties of their respective Offices, and he shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_Tw ... nstitution

There are many more clauses to Article 2, which list the president as a HE.
12th, 20th, and 25th amendments also list the president as a HE.

I want to see someone challenge Hillary (or any other woman), who wins the election for president based on the literal wording of the constitution.

The constitution makes it very clear that only a man is allowed to be president.

No matter what the legal odds no matter how big a landslide she wins by the Republicans will try this and if they lose legally will try and impeach her on those grounds and the emails and whatever else.

I'd love to see them try.

Though you do need a majority vote of both houses to start the impeachment process.
The GOP couldn't even line up behind a bill of impeachment of Obama, submitted to the House by their own member.

Does anyone really want an female U.S. president?

If any woman that would have appealed to me as presidential material, it would have been either Bella Abzug or Barbara Bush. Both of them are/were ass kickers extrordinaire.

Artificius
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 May 2015, 8:38 pm

Clinton II seems likely to govern in her own right, not sure why some assume she's a proxy for her husband.

She'll probably be elected because she's long been publicly groomed for the role (has an undivided but possibly naive base with few if any real challengers within her party) and the recent GOP primaries resemble cockfights (by the time they're done determining a "winner," he's bleeding, covered in mud, and has a divided base). Additionally, while none of the candidates seem especially charismatic this cycle, she's not as prone to the sort of gaffes that have driven the Republican party further and further, stupidly and uncompromisingly right in the public mind on social issues. They're sailing against the wind and not even bothering to tack for fear of looking weak and unprincipled or because tacking requires a lot of coordination, pick whichever you like. I think they're just ruining their sails and are going to have to scuttle the ship eventually, probably take up with the right-leaning one of the two crews that the Democrats will split into if the Republicans ever go the way of the Whigs.

Whoever wins the big chair, I don't especially like Clinton II, as I strongly suspect she'll expand the use of drone warfare and is just as much of if slightly more selective a hawk compared to her GOP challengers. She just seems more likely to get there because of the GOP's lingering image as the party of obstruction, fear, and invasion under false pretenses, which will probably last at least another election cycle.

And after her, the Republicans might have to worry about Cory Booker. I seriously doubt they'll be able to bring anyone up to bat who can match or safely ignore his charisma if he ever chooses to run. They'll have to find some way to subvert his Rooseveltian neo-progressive "man of and for the people" image, and if they choose to subvert but fail, he'll just look better. He's like the Gipper, but not nearly as senile.

...This is a side question, but do you think the GOP could survive decades of losses in the presidential races?