Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 5:01 am

starkid wrote:
Definitely. Most people leave out the part about him risking his life to cross the U.S.-Mexican border smuggled in the back of a filthy pickup truck under a load of cabbages, slaving away for fourteen hours a day as a migrant farmworker, and sharing a tiny apartment with seven other guys and no electricity so that he could afford to send most of his under-the-table wages back home to his family.

Jesus Elodio Gonzalez is an inspiration to us all.

That's not the Jesus I meant :oops:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 9:23 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
wittgenstein wrote:
My speculation,
First the facts
1. Jesus was primarily Jewish.
2. The area and time around Jesus knew about Greek philosophy, Buddhism etc.
3. slightly speculative but most likely true, Jesus was interested in religion and philosophy.
4. There are many parallels between what Jesus taught and Greek philosphy and Buddhism.
Speculation,
Jesus was primarily Jewish but co-opted parts of greek philosophy and Buddhism. In other words gnostic.
Luke 17:21 is very gnostic as much of the new testiment is.
Later, Jesu's gnostic teachings were surpressed ( nag hammadi etc) because conventional christianity facilitaed the elite's agenda.
A bruacracy was created. King-pope-lord-serf that cemented power. Of course Christ's original teaching that God is wiyhin has to be eradicated. Why serve the king when God is within you?
I think that conventional Christianity is the opposite of what Christ taught.
Ps: I am using a tablet. Blame my big fat fingers gor spelling and grammatical errors! :D

Thanks for replying. I have been thinking about this all day and what I wonder now, which I haven't previously because I thought along the same lines as you, a philosopher/rabbi who started out as one of John the Baptist's disciples but now I am beginning to wonder if Jesus is actually a combined experience of many men who were crucified during the time Rome occupied the area and the New Testament reflects the experiences of the survivors. It's like a record of these people who met and were part of this healing culture, who had experienced their loved ones crucified. They didn't have therapy back then but they did meet together in order to deal with their pain and this is how Christian gnosticism started and that eventually led to the church. If you know the history of the church, it is so focused on grizzly events it seems logical it has it's roots in these post crucifixion cults and it might reflect on the experience of the crucified. Anytime non citizens of Rome acted up, the Romans used crucifixion as a punishment and example to others, so they might behave in the future. It was a way to scare them into submission.

This is what leads me to believe Christianity does, indeed, have some of it's origins in the Third Servile War:

The crucifixion of Spartacus' army[edit]

Emperor Trajan built a deviation of Via Appia. This is a tract of Via Appia Traiana near Egnatia.

The column in Brindisi, marking the end of the Via Appia.
Main article: Spartacus
In 73 BC, a slave revolt (known as the Third Servile War) under the ex-gladiator of Capua, Spartacus, began against the Romans. Slavery accounted for roughly every third person in Italy.

Spartacus defeated many Roman armies in a conflict that lasted for over two years. While trying to escape from Italy at Brundisium he unwittingly moved his forces into the historic trap in Apulia/Calabria. The Romans were well acquainted with the region. Legions were brought home from abroad and Spartacus was pinned between armies.

On his defeat the Romans judged that the slaves had forfeited their right to live. In 71 BC, 6,000 slaves were crucified along the 200-kilometer (120 mi) Via Appia from Rome to Capua.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appian_Way ... us.27_army

This event could have very well been the beginning.

Imagine traveling the Via Appia, which was the busiest road to Rome, pretty much because it was the only one, only to see 6000 crucified gladiators and other slaves along the way. The Romans left them for all the world to see so others would be discouraged to rise against the Roman world. Would have made quite an impression.

What does this have to do with Christianity?

Christ lived in an outer province of the Roman Empire (in Judea), and not in the mother country of Italy (like Spartacus).

Agree with the above poster: that Jesus was likely a composite. Many guys were wandering around Judea calling themselves "Joshua" (after the Joshua of the Old Testament) at that time. One is even mentioned in the Babylonian Talmud: "a miscreant named Yeshua has been wandering the countryside preaching heresy and practicing black magic.So the authorities hanged him from a tree." This Yeshua even had 9 disciples listed by name. But none of them had names resembling any of the 12 disciples of Christ. Probably there were many rabblerousers doing their thing at the time. Some ended up executed by the locals the local way (by being hanged from trees), and some ended up being executed by the Roman occupiers the Roman way (by being nailed to a cross). The one we remember may be a composite of more than one.

Also have thought along the lines of the other poster: that Christ was a Jew influenced by ideas from beyond the horizon of Judea (he lived in a more cosmopolitan Hellenistic Judea than did any of the figures in the OT). At some point he may have sat at the feet of Persian Zoroastrian priests (known as "magi") which would explain both the folktale about the gift of the magi, and would explain how Zoroastrian notions of "heaven", "hell", and "a day of judgement" got grafted onto the largely Jewish trunk of the tree that became Christianity. Like Wittgenstien said -Nag Hammadi also even shows some evidence of Buddhist influence in what became a heretical form of early Christianity.

NaturalPlastic, Christianity is pretty much a Roman religion that focuses on a crucifixion with other influences thrown in and nothing written down when "Jesus" was actually living which could be due to Jesus not being one man but the men who were crucified by the Romans. You neglect to take into account the thousands who were crucified and the ones left behind after it happened. Are you going to say all of them were null and void? Do you honestly believe for one second their emotions could not possibly effect the culture? Considering we do not have enough information from when Jesus was actually alive and crucifixion wasn't even mentioned until hundreds of years later, according to AspieOtaku's video, it could be that Jesus was not the one who was actually crucified. If he were, why did it take them so long to even be able to talk about it? There are a lot of unanswered questions that a traveling minister doesn't explain. Most traveling ministers do not end up being crucified. You don't get crucified for mixing greek with Buddhism. Why such a focus on crucifixion? Don't you find it more than curious Jesus would be the only one to be crucified if indeed he were. If you know anything about the Romans it's they didn't stop with just one. They would have wiped them all out, kinda like Darth Sidious. It's just how the Romans were. They hated rebellion with a passion.

Instead of being so narrow minded, consider the possibility. Jesus was pretty much just a crucified man for a long time. It wasn't until the reformation the focus was on the actual written word.

The connection between The Third Servile War and Christianity should be explored since the data we have is pretty much non existence. I mean, they have Jesus being born in the winter while scholars say that is highly unlikely and no one can figure out what this mysterious star was the three wise men saw although there's speculation. It is beginning to look like a collection of stories and prophecies gathered by the survivors of the crucified. In their grief, they could have even fabricated fables of how their loved one, son or husband, came back to life after he died to ease their trauma. People were more apt to say stuff like that at the time. I think it is worthy of investigation since the origins are indeed quite mysterious indeed.

People think of Christianity as this flowery religion with plain surrounds and Bibles but it did not start out as such, not by a long shot. It was a bit like the Roman Arena in its gore and gristle there for a while and stories of suffering martyrs were a plenty. These permeated the Christian cults for who knows how long before The First Council of Nicaea.

Another thing you should wonder, why so many in Rome were Christians and not so many in the middle east where it started? Why is the Vatican in Rome and not in Antioch or somewhere like that? It could easily be in Antioch, couldn't it? Yet, it's in Rome. Rome has been the seat of Christianity for quite some time, hasn't it?

Too many flaws in both your facts, and in your logic, to innumerate.

Long story short- Christianity spread east-to-west from the Levant to Rome. Not the other way around. Antioch WAS the center of Christianity for a brief spell before it took hold in Egypt, and in Corinth, and in Rome. By the time Rome had a christian population there were several christian communities in the middle east, and a sizeable Christian population east of the Adriatic. The Coptic Christians being persecuted by the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt today as we speak are a remnant of that population.

But since Rome was the center of power of the Roman Empire -once the creed got hold there- then it did spread outward in every direction from Rome. But even then the East was the center of gravity. The empire gradually split in two, and Rome and Constantinople became rival centers of both imperial rule, and of Christianity. And that legacy survives today as the split between Roman Catholicism, and Eastern Orthodoxy. The later was very much prevalent in the middle east until the region was overrun by the Muslims coming from beyond the pale of the Byzantine/Roman Empire out of Arabia.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 9:53 am

Wouldn't be nice if YouTube was around during Jesus' time?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 10:05 am

He could have put his miracles on twitter.

And recruited converts like ISIS does now.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 12:23 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Wouldn't be nice if YouTube was around during Jesus' time?

'If mass communication per YouTube was around during the time
of Jesus', per Youtube, reminds me of this Youtube video, again,

which is 'PROPHETIC' PERHAPS, AS A 'self-fulfilling prophecy'.

The COMPLETE REVISED STORY OF THE SO-CALLED GOD MAN named as Jesus

IS quite a TALE in DEED, with billions of associated people in blood, sweat, and tears,
BY an innumerable number of writers, directors, actors and audience of FEELING spectators
making up what Christianity ends up today as is, and is still evolving as IS, as we speak,
from 'GOOD CATHOLIC YOUNG WOMEN' removing covers from head and showing
ample T & A, In tight fitting skirts and short shorts, in CATHOLIC CHURCH, TO
OTHER RELIGIONS EMPLOYING FEMALE MINISTERS WHO ARE GAY TOO.

OH MY FRIGGING GOD, GOD EVOLVES with HUMAN NOW.
HUMANS CREATE THE MYTHS THAT HOUSE TRUTH
THROUGH THE VEHICLES AND VESSELS OF
METAPHORS AND IT IS UP TO US
HUMANS TO FILL THE SIGNATURES

OF THAT TRUTH IN FLESH AND BLOOD.

IT'S NOT A QUESTION OF IF JESUS EXISTS.

IT'S A STATEMENT OF WHEN WILL

JESUS EXIST
IN GENERAL, IN THE HUMAN POPULATION
AS IS.

THE CHALLENGE IS ThERE.

FEW PICK UP 'THE CROSS'

AND JUST MAKE IT HAPPEN,

WHERE METAPHORS OF VEHICLES AND VESSELS OF TRUTH
IN HOUSINGS OF MYTHS BECOME FLESH AND
BLOOD HUMAN.

THE SIGNATURE OFTEN

PRECEDES THE

SON

OR

DAUGHTER

AS
IS
AKA
PART
OF GOD MORE FULLY MANIFEST
IN HUMAN POTENTIAL.

AND I am doing that

'WrITE' NOW,

AS THERE IS
almost no limit of what A
PERSON or GROUP OF PEOPLE
CAN DO WITH THE TRUE EMOTING POWERS
OF THE EMOTIONS OF HUMAN RELATIVE FREE WILL
THROUGH THE TOOL OF IMAGINATION and CREATIVITY
AND THE (ISA's) INSTINCT, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
THAT CAN AND DO COME

ALIVE AS HUMAN BEING

Much FULLER HUMAN POTENTIAL WHEN one seeks
finds, employs, utilizes and continually practices

with human RELATIVE

FREE WILL the REAL EMPOWERING EMOTIONS of Faith, HOPE,
and BELIEF IN MAKING real life human miracles

COME TRUTH.

Smiles, and any questions, friend...;)

OH, and by the way, I am currently playing
the role of JUDAS, per se, in the YouTUBE
video above,
As Hell yes, I wanna know
and Aim AND practice
JUST THAT
IN ISA'S
MANIFEST IN MY OWN
FORM OF

MASS COMMUNICATION, BABY!..;)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 5:40 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
He is presented as rabbinical in the Gospels, spending time in temples and the first born son.

If you want ot get a better idea of the "historical Jesus" read Bart Erhman's "Did Jesus Exist?: The Historical Argument for Jesus of Nazareth" which I have read and highly recommend he has also written "Did Jesus Exist?: The Historical Argument for Jesus of Nazareth, then there is the rebuttal (which I have not yet read) "Bart Ehrman and the Quest of the Historical Jesus of Nazareth: An Evaluation of Ehrman's Did Jesus Exist?" The second book from what I understand is a rebuttal of the Erhmans concept of "Jesus who was a man made god by humanity"

But whatever you decide I agree it is a fascinating subject, one that the vast majority of Christians simply refuse to enter into discussion about.

Haven't read that particular book, but I also definitely recommend Bart Ehrman's work.

I have Bart Erhman's lectures on New Testament scholarship on DVD from "The Great Courses". Also an excellent primer on the subject of the search for the historic Jesus.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 6:14 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
...Now what I wonder is, why is it, only Jesus was crucified? It doesn't make sense at all which is why I suspect there is much more to the story than we are allowed to read and I think that's a real shame and disservice to all people who follow the Christian faith today. They are deprived of even the most basic accuracy about what truly happened to the Jesus movement. I suspect there could have been more than one person who was crucified....

Others have written about how there were many rival "messiahs" roaming around in First Century Judea, and that they were as political as they were religious. The leaders of the time most certainly didn't want to execute Jesus and tried several times to find a way to avoid doing so. They knew that His execution would put an exclamation point after all He said and did, and inspire others to mimic Him. Politically, Rome didn't want charismatic leaders who had some success in opposing the Empire. Executing Jesus and His leading apostles would have made their movement a hundred times stronger and more successful. Rome could have easily put down such a movement, but cared more about maintaining civility in its regions for the sake of protecting its financial assets and avoiding yet another costly uprising.

This is why some religio-historians have contemplated the idea that Rome didn't really execute Jesus, but drugged Him to mimic death and secreted his body from the cross, to the tomb, to who knows where by the following morning. If He survived, He probably would have been warned to leave the Roman territories. This theory has been conjecture for almost 2,000 years among early Christian gnostics such as the Cathars, and messianic Jews in southern France. Many in France still believe the idea. Thus, The Da Vinci Code resonates still.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 7:52 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

Long story short- Christianity spread east-to-west from the Levant to Rome. Not the other way around. Antioch WAS the center of Christianity for a brief spell before it took hold in Egypt, and in Corinth, and in Rome. By the time Rome had a christian population there were several christian communities in the middle east, and a sizeable Christian population east of the Adriatic. The Coptic Christians being persecuted by the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt today as we speak are a remnant of that population.

But since Rome was the center of power of the Roman Empire -once the creed got hold there- then it did spread outward in every direction from Rome. But even then the East was the center of gravity. The empire gradually split in two, and Rome and Constantinople became rival centers of both imperial rule, and of Christianity. And that legacy survives today as the split between Roman Catholicism, and Eastern Orthodoxy. The later was very much prevalent in the middle east until the region was overrun by the Muslims coming from beyond the pale of the Byzantine/Roman Empire out of Arabia.

Okay, if it's so flawed tell me:

1. When exactly Jesus was born.
2. Where exactly Jesus was born.
3. Who exactly his parents were.
4. Proof of his lineage.

After you provide the appropriate evidence for Jesus, show me proof of who his followers were, how many, where they lived, their activities.

Then you can procure for me the actual record for Jesus's death.

After you do all this, I will believe what you say.

I am ready to consider there could have been Jesus-like Rabbis who thought they were Messiahs but their connection to crucifixion is dubious at best since it is presented as how low class criminals die, not men of the cloth. There is no other record of such men being crucified except revised Gospels involving ONE man and one man only (incredibly unlikely but not impossible) and yes they are a form or revisionist history since none were written by Jesus when he was alive or people surrounding him while he was living.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 2:00 am

Another interesting coincidence is the Siege of Jerusalem which happened 70 AD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Jerusalem_(AD_70)

Titus ordered the angry Roman soldiers to crucify the captured rebels as noted by the historian Josephus:

Josephus, where he states that at the Siege of Jerusalem (70), "the soldiers out of rage and hatred, nailed those they caught, one after one way, and another after another, to the crosses, by way of jest."[15] Objects used in the crucifixion of criminals, such as nails, were sought as amulets with perceived medicinal qualities.[16]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crucifixion

Thousands left Jerusalem after the event. Could this be one event that caused Christians fleeing to Rome?

Any kind of mass crucifixion event was bound to stir up a lot of emotion in the people, which is something that generally isn't discussed. Perhaps Christ crucified is really a symbol for all those gladiators and rebels who suffered the same fate? Maybe Christ never really existed, just became the name they put on that particular punishment? All you see in representations is a man being crucified but it's not any man in particular. It's supposed to be Christ yet no one knows who Jesus really was, when and where he lived, when he was born. It's all very vague.

So how exactly did Christianity originally start?

No one will ever know unless an archaeologist stumbles upon the find of a lifetime that can somehow prove Jesus existed.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 2:37 am

People like to doubt Jesus existence, but we do have records of his existence.

The Romans, Persians and what not have records of Jesus Christ and the events that unfolded during his life.
The Romans public records exist on Jesus himself and most are now in the Vatican archives and other places around the world.
We know exactly who the 12 apostles were, where they came from, and what their occupations were before joining Jesus.
We also know how they all died and where their remains are located.

It is also confirmed by archeologists that the Church of the Holy Sepulchre is built over the place of Jesus' crucifixion, his tomb, and one other holy spot.
This backs up the records left by St. Helena the mother of Emperor of Constantine, when she was tasked with securing holy sites and relics.
She was also tasked with confirming the truth of christianity.
She also found the true cross and the crown of thorns when in Jerusalem.
She claims a local person took her to the cave where the three crosses from that day were hidden 300 years earlier.
A holy light shined down on the true cross, revealing it to her.
The true cross was broken up during the first crusades and scattered crossed Europe and the Middle East.
Only a few fragments remain, with one of the biggest being in Spain.

The crown of thorns is enshrined in Notre Dame in Paris, France along with other holy relics that the French Royal Family once held.

We also know what happened the day Jesus was crucified thanks to Greek and Roman records.
It lines up with 4 Gospels.

As for the 12 Apostles and the origin of the Catholic Church, we know that Jesus put Apostle Peter in charge of running the church and setting it up. Apostle Peter by records is the first Pope and his chosen successor Linus was second Pope.
Apostle Peter is confirmed by records and archeologists and being buried in the crypt that sits under St. Peter's Basilica.
Thus the alter is supposed to be directly above his resting place.

St. Peter was crucified on Vatican Hill for betraying Jesus after Jesus told him to do it in order to earn his forgiveness.
He was killed in the year 64 AD. or 67 AD (~30 years after Jesus ascended into heaven).
This is why the Vatican is built where it is and that is why it is named Vatican

Apostle Paul did right all those letters that bear his name. His resting place is another Catholic church in Rome with some of the bones of Peter.

Apostle Mark was martyred in Egypt in the first century and was interned their until Venice sent mercaneries to 15th century to recover the body from the muslims. His body is interned in the St. Marks basilica in Venice.

Both of the James are in Spain.

We don't know who wrote the 4 main gospels.
We do know how the Catholic bible became canonized it it's current form and how the books were selected.
We do know all the Protestant bibles are shorter than the Catholic bible and what books they removed.
We do know at the time of canonization the other books and gospels were ordered by church to be destroyed.
We know that monks and priests saved many of the books from destruction.
We also have tons of records of what actually happened in the through 500 AD. in the Western Roman Empire including the collapse of the Western Roman Empire in 476 AD.

The apostles and the Catholic Church had it as their mission to christianize the world including the Roman Empire.

The only three things we don't know are the following:

Is Jesus truly the son of god or just a blessed individual who had supernatural abilities?
Why did Emperor Constantine convert to christianity and make it the state religion?
What happens when we die?

Most the of the records will be digitalized and online within 20 years.
The Vatican wants it done ASAP.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 2:49 am

What Tacitus wrote about Christus and Chrestianos has been disputed as hearsay from Christians living at the time which he plagiarized into his record. He never actually saw Jesus and what he wrote about Christian multitudes existing in Rome during the reign of Nero has been doubted.

We actually have zero evidence Jesus existed as one individual and not any credible historical references. When Suetonius mentions Chrestus in the 12 Caesars it's footnoted Chrestus is a slave, not Christ although the names sound the same.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 3:31 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
What Tacitus wrote about Christus and Chrestianos has been disputed as hearsay from Christians living at the time which he plagiarized into his record. He never actually saw Jesus and what he wrote about Christian multitudes existing in Rome during the reign of Nero has been doubted.

We actually have zero evidence Jesus existed as one individual and not any credible historical references. When Suetonius mentions Chrestus in the 12 Caesars it's footnoted Chrestus is a slave, not Christ although the names sound the same.

http://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Now-Then-Ri ... 0802809773

Here read a book, it's one of many scholarly based books written on Jesus from academic perspective not religious perspective.
Scholarly consensus in academia have accepted Jesus as real person from history.
Whether or not he is the person that some religious folk claim he is, is up for debate.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 6:23 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Okay, if it's so flawed tell me:

1. When exactly Jesus was born.
2. Where exactly Jesus was born.
3. Who exactly his parents were.
4. Proof of his lineage.

After you provide the appropriate evidence for Jesus, show me proof of who his followers were, how many, where they lived, their activities.

Then you can procure for me the actual record for Jesus's death.

After you do all this, I will believe what you say.

I am ready to consider there could have been Jesus-like Rabbis who thought they were Messiahs but their connection to crucifixion is dubious at best since it is presented as how low class criminals die, not men of the cloth. There is no other record of such men being crucified except revised Gospels involving ONE man and one man only (incredibly unlikely but not impossible) and yes they are a form or revisionist history since none were written by Jesus when he was alive or people surrounding him while he was living.

Anna
The first four points you raise are irrelevent.
The rest are all nonsense.

Its possible that Jesus did in fact NOT exist (though consensus among historians is that he did). But whether he did, or didnt, has no baring on your theory.

Even if you could prove that he never existed, and was just a fictional character (like Harry Potter) it doesnt make your theory that Christianity was invented by Gentile Italians living in Italy any less ludicrous and laughable.

Your whole arguement is: a whole bunch of people got crucified in the slave revolt, Christ was crucified, therefore Christianity must have been invented by survivors of the slave revolt.

The Romans used crucifiction the whole length of their empire. They have found actual remains of crucified individuals in one particular province of the Roman Empire-the province of Judea were Jesus (supposedly) lived.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 21 Mar 2015, 6:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 6:30 am

Also if Jesus existed - he was supposed to have been a carpenter- a common tradesman.
Not an aristocrat.
So if he were to be executed he would not have flown first class- but would indeed be given the low class treatment of crucifiction.

And BTW no one claims the Jesus was ever "a man of the cloth"(not that that would even make any difference to how they would execute him). Modern people today have dubbed Jesus a "rabbi" because in Judaism ANY adult male who appoints himself as a teacher can be a rabbi (its not as formal a status as being catholic priest, or being ancient Jewish priest of the temple either). He was an adult male Jew who went around teaching- so he was a rabbi. He didnt have any official status as a "clergyman".

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 6:44 am

Actually...I think that the evidence shows that Jesus was neither a Jew living in Palestine, nor was he an Italian.
Most likely he was an Irishman.

The evidence:

1) He lived with his parents until he was 30.

2) He still wasn't married by age the age of 30.

3) He was always unemployed.

4) He had twelve drinking buddies.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 12:16 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Also if Jesus existed - he was supposed to have been a carpenter- a common tradesman.
Not an aristocrat.
So if he were to be executed he would not have flown first class- but would indeed be given the low class treatment of crucifiction.

And BTW no one claims the Jesus was ever "a man of the cloth"(not that that would even make any difference to how they would execute him). Modern people today have dubbed Jesus a "rabbi" because in Judaism ANY adult male who appoints himself as a teacher can be a rabbi (its not as formal a status as being catholic priest, or being ancient Jewish priest of the temple either). He was an adult male Jew who went around teaching- so he was a rabbi. He didnt have any official status as a "clergyman".

YES thank you - so many "Jesuses" only supports my claim that the image of Jesus could possibly represent more than one man.
Carpenter Jesus
Rabbi Jesus
Son of Man Jesus
Jesus the God
Jesus the slave
Jesus the unmarried
Jesus with Mary Magdeline
Healer Jesus
Jesus the only child
Jesus with many brothers and sisters
Jesus the party host
Jesus the teacher.

Did I leave any out?

Many crucifixion stories. They were real human beings not to be lost to history.

Btw, one Jesus wasn't really a carpenter, more like a mason.

Also, another version of Jesus does portray him as a youthful Rabbi in training. Saying he is the first born son of a woman who has never had sex with a physical man is another way of saying he is to be given to the temple for training as a rabbi. It is not a direct way of saying it, rather, an implication.