Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Seira011
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Mar 2015, 8:24 am

Hi. I have been looking for some form of online or in-person social outlets to feel comfortable about meeting people of a similar age (20s-early 30s at the moment) with similar issues for some years now. I hope that in registering on this forum/site that this might contribute to a starting point to achieving more independence/autonomy and having a better understanding as to where I sit in the Autism/GLBTIQ Community.

I recognise the forum on this site is (from what I have been advised) based in North America and that I am from near Adelaide in South Australia on the other side of the world. I see little issue with that. I think one of most important things is that I feel up-beat about joining this forum.

genesis529
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Mar 2015, 8:57 am

How are you doing?
Is Adelaide a big city? I've always loved that name for some reason.

Nightingale121
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 9:04 am

Welcome! :)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 2:39 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 4:34 pm

Hey Seira011 welcome. :sunny:

Seira011
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Mar 2015, 4:56 am

Thanks for the welcome everyone. It probably makes me feel a bit more at ease.

genesis529 wrote:
How are you doing?
Is Adelaide a big city? I've always loved that name for some reason.

Hi genesis529, I think I’m doing ok. First time on a forum dedicated to different ways of thinking (Autism and so forth) :) .

If you can imagine what Sydney or even Melbourne look like in photographs from Australia (maybe postcards) Adelaide is more of a country town compared to them. The population is a lot smaller in South Australia as well (maybe 1-2 million or something, might have to check that). A positive with Adelaide being a bit smaller is that you get to know a lot more people, and familiar faces :) .

Also, just for the benefit, these posts might be a bit delayed sometimes because of the time zone differences and when I can get on here. It’s currently 8:25 pm local time here in autumn when I’m typing.

Seira011
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Apr 2015, 2:13 am

I am a mentor for a group of people with mild to moderate intellectual disabilities run by an organisation in South Australia. I have come to understand Autism (including Asperger's Syndrome and High-Functioning Autism) can mean different things to different people (clients, carers and support workers and those in the wider community). This is one of the reasons why I do not think stereotyping people for whatever conditions they have is particularly helpful. I have also come to know something about the GLBTIQ community in recent years, and even attended a conference on these matters for professionals and the community held here in Adelaide in October last year (2014). My impression is that the GLBTIQ community is established in Adelaide, if a little more discreet or obscure, however it is becoming more apparent. Although I have not yet made it clear what my gender is, hopefully in time this may shine through in my writing. As I consider to be from both the Autism community and the gender diverse community, and as there is very little literature or background on the connection between the two, this situation may well be unique. I am however keeping an open mind :) .