Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

foursticks
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Apr 2015, 9:21 pm

Is it hard for other people with Asperger's to learn music, or is it just me? I haven't taken Irish harp lessons in years, but am thinking about starting to take them again. My original reason for stopping was monetary, but my second was how hard it was to learn. It was like pushing hard cheese through a fine sieve. It was absolutely painful! I always felt like I should pay my teacher extra because of how aggravating it must have been for her. My repertoure would never grow beyond five - six tunes because I forget anything previous when constantly learning new tunes. The only way I got a good grip on the tunes I now know by heart was by stopping lessons. Any thoughts? Insights?

charcoalsketches
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Apr 2015, 11:10 pm

Depends on how you learn. I am usually reliant on both ears and patterns when playing a piano. I am trying to learn notes, but those patterns tend to get me mixed up, so as I persevere, I simply stick to my old methods.

Playing my ear gets me by fine as a musician.

Mrrandomman
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Apr 2015, 10:26 am

I've never had a problem with learning music. I'm currently playing for the concert band and jazz band at my middle school. Two different instruments

foursticks
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Apr 2015, 11:54 am

Yea. I think I'm just slower on the uptake than most. I used to find it surprising how much easier learning music seemed to be for other people. I just need to tell my harp teacher that things need to change if I start again.

Douglas_MacNeill
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 3:45 pm

Mrrandomman wrote:
I've never had a problem with learning music. I'm currently playing for the concert band and jazz band at my middle school. Two different instruments

Call me curious, but what instruments do you play?
I played clarinet from Grade 5 through Grade 10, then bass clarinet in Grades 11 & 12; I haven't played an instrument since then unless you count voice as an instrument.

AndrewtheFiddler
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Apr 2015, 4:52 pm

I'm in university for music, so I was pretty fine learning music. Still, my biggest difficulty is my bad motor skills. And Asperger's never stopped Mozart and Beethoven from making music