Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2015, 6:12 pm

Anyone else getting ads with audio unexpectedly starting up sometimes while looking at posts here? It really bothers me every time it happens. It's kind of ironic to have intrusive ads on a support site for people who often have sensory sensitivities.

Alienhybrid
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Apr 2015, 6:23 pm

i use chrome with ad blocker
= no more ads

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2015, 6:24 pm

I did but now as my pc got hacked with a virus inside and I had to clean it completely and restart it all new, since then I do not get this ads anymore (brought exta anti-virus and PC-tune-up program).
But it was very annoying before as I first did not found the source, but luckily now I do not have this problem anymore.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

Last edited by Eloa on 05 Apr 2015, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2015, 6:33 pm

I use Firefox and a plug-in called flash block. Flash block just stop flash from auto playing and will not let flash run unless you click on it. Works great for stopping those annoying auto play videos.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2015, 7:31 pm

I really despise those ads. They startle me and interrupt me if I'm writing a post. They are obnoxiously loud and intrusive.

It was made abundantly clear, when the colors were changed here, that no one cares much about the sensory sensitivities of people posting here.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2015, 7:42 pm

I am suprized that Alex doesn't ban some of those ads. Even Autism Speaks had been running ads on this site as well. Although Adobe has been trying to shove their "Creative Cloud" product down my throat. At least their ads are not obnoxious, like some others.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2015, 9:08 pm

I use Mozilla Firefox and several of its best filters like Adblock Plus. I don't see or hear any advertisements unless I want to do so.

I hope that doesn't rob any compensation that Alex gets to help operate the site.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 12:07 am

Those video ads my PC run like garbage, a large part of why I haven't been around much. This site ran so well until they started.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 11:02 am

rapidroy wrote:
Those video ads my PC run like garbage, a large part of why I haven't been around much. This site ran so well until they started.

This will happen if you have a slow computer. But in general, those video and rich flash animations still consume a lot of CPU power. And that's another reason why I want them off.

ConceptuallyCurious
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Apr 2015, 4:21 pm

Yes, these bother me too. I tried to download ad blocker but my computer told me it was a virus so I wasn't sure which company to download it from under Chrome Apps.

If anyone has advice for who the extension is created by please let me know.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 5:31 pm

i personally use chrome with adblock and receive 0 ads, though when i was not using it (downloaded it in november) i did not recall many audio ads...those are the worst.

AspieUtah wrote:
I hope that doesn't rob any compensation that Alex gets to help operate the site.

unless merely viewing the ads goes towards compensation, i don't think it would have a significant effect since so few deliberately click on them. i would personally rather make an actual donation to keep the site afloat, since i spend so much time here. :P there is this dinosaur: http://www.wrongplanet.net/supporters.htm but it really hasn't been brought up for years, i'm pretty sure it is defunct, if not i'd ask alex about it before going ahead. it's how the WP supporter badge was earned. i remember alex agreed with one members idea of not being subjected to ads if one paid a small fee.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

svetlana
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Apr 2015, 7:36 pm

http://www.wikihow.com/Block-Internet-Ads - a copyleft resource on installing an ad blocker for your browser

as indicated in my profile, i do not use javascript at all - but for those of you who use it, any reports not caught by these programs already should go to the adblock or spyblock guys

i second the suggestion to add a 'donate' button on the website as an alternative source of income for it in addition to the ads