A new aspergers dating site called Spectrum Singles

Page 3 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 2:57 am

guessing its geared towards successful aspies/autistics vs those who are on welfare or have low paying jobs.

theres unregister which removes it completely is that what you did tagnacious?

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 3:08 am

LuckyLilith wrote:
No, I am not an aspie. I was diagnosed as autistic, I don't think it matters much but for some reason many people label me as aspie and I'm unsure if stating my correct diagnosis changes any thoughts. Kirsten Fitzpatrick's photo looks "stock photo" like because she has many other jobs besides being co-founder. It's her work portrait :)

Diagnosis in general makes little sense when working with dating sites as there isn't any diagnostic criteria related to relationships in ASD diagnosis. This aspect of the autism simply is not understood by psychiatry.

LuckyLilith wrote:
I joined to make this reply mainly to answer some issues but to also better explain the website. Many people are upset that we aren't a 10/10 Eharmony-like website right out the gate.

Not really. More like upset that not any of the questions are related to neurodiverse relationship preferences, which are bound to be the main players in trying to match a sample of people high on neurodiverse traits.

LuckyLilith wrote:
We are crowd-funded, and I (currently a college student) am currently paying for everything out of my own pocket. Next to school, work, sports, and other responsibilities, I have also committed to this website and its community. Yes, we have faced various bugs and glitches (as we are in fact, a new website 8O ) but many of them have been fixed and cleared up. We also moved to a new server to better accommodate the large community, so the lag and slowness has gone away as well. As why we require a paid membership, it is for security and to help fund making the website better. If we wanted to, we could have made it free and just get funding from advertisements.... but then that would invite anyone to join. Meaning there'd be no real sense of monitoring and security as trolls, bullies, scammers, and more flow in. We currently have matched the prices of Match.com .....from over 20years ago. Considering the pricing of other modern-day dating sites...

Uhhm, not really. I've put down 11 years and many thousand hours on Aspie Quiz, and it's free and on a site without ads. I don't think that good tools for aspies needs to generate income. I'd prefer them not to because that is a sign that they are developed for the good of the community rather than as a business idea.

LuckyLilith wrote:
We were very much satisfied with our prices. The test we did create ourselves, we even have it patented. :) The questions have a specific answering system because if given the chance... many people may just select "lol I dunno" and then the test results aren't accurate. The test may not be compatible for everyone, but that's why again we have the paid membership so we can update it and further make it user-friendly. Hopefully this clears up some of the negativity that has been brewing. This wasn't a "no u guyz r wrong" post or any of the sort, I genuinely just wanted to help clarify some things as I want to be able to reach out to all members of the spectrum community. If anyone has any questions, you're free to ask me anything! :D

You just cannot makeup a survey like that. You need to validate it in some way, otherwise nobody knows if it is any good or not. If you are really seriously interested in this, you could get the data from Aspie Quiz where I have answers for both people in a relationship which gives an idea which traits are best complimentary and which are best similar. Because this is what you need to research in order to provide people with good matches. And there isn't any current studies on this you could use.

Besides, the AQ test is a horrible starting point for doing a test for romantic compatibility between neurodiverse people.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 3:24 am

Just a fancier aspie affection site resulting in a sausage fest!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 4:23 am

LuckyLilith wrote:
Hello!

I am Olivia Cantu, co-founder of SpectrumSingles.com :mrgreen:

I have briefly lurked on WrongPlanet before, but joined today as to better be able to reach out to people who have seen and discussed the SpectrumSingles Website. Yes, we are women. :lol: If you need more proof you can see us on Facebook... or me in the HuffPost Live interview with the directors of the new film Autism in Love... Also we will be uploading youtube videos soon of us explaining some stuff and you again can double-check that we are women.

Why should we care that you are women?

Autisto
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Apr 2015, 4:32 am

The site looks seriously second rate, it is so bad that I am considering building my own. I wouldn't release it until it was a finished product (or at least close to one) and I think I'd make it ad supported - nobody likes ads but I really despise paywalls, that site is also a bit of a joke wrt what you have to pay for (forum privileges? yeah sure xD). I had a few cool ideas too but I don't feel it's wise to give everything away.

Verdict: great idea, terrible execution

mpe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Apr 2015, 3:33 pm

yellowtamarin wrote:
starkid wrote:
I just signed up and it seems cool. I was surprised that the Spectrum Questionnaire was basically the questions from the AQ with some extra questions at the end.

Cringe cringe cringe. They used the same questions but changed the scale! You can't ask how frequently you frequently do something, but well, that have! And there's nothing in between "frequently" and "rarely"...that's a huge gap there, and a lot of my answers would fall somewhere in that gap rather than at one of those options. The original AQ has the options "strongly agree" "agree" "disagree" and "strongly disagree" which is also not flawless but makes a lot more sense. Baron-Cohen must be rolling his eyes at this.

Though the AQ tests were typically scored on just the "agree"/"disagree". Ignoring of this was "strong" or not.

[quoteThings like this surprise me, how an aspie (the site creator), who would stereotypically be detail-orientated, could fail to see what they have done.[/quote]

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 3:45 pm

mpe wrote:
Though the AQ tests were typically scored on just the "agree"/"disagree". Ignoring of this was "strong" or not.

Yes. The AQ test has 4 alternatives, but they are aggregated into only two when scoring. No idea why they made this strange design. It could be because autistic and non-autistic people use large Likert-scales differently.

mpe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Apr 2015, 3:57 pm

rdos wrote:
I just registered and did their test. They use lots of stereotypes in the test (mostly borrowed from the AQ test and similar). They have a single question linked to asexuality, and then one question that presumes that hugging and kissing are similar (what an awful expectation that people that dislike kissing also dislike hugging). There is absolutely nothing about attachment-style, or any other neurodiverse relationship preference. Additionally, there are detailed LGBT-options, but none of those are linked to neurodiversity so that seems unnecessary. The test is also overloaded with sensory-related issues that are highly correlated.

There is also a lack of relationship paradigm questions. Which makes little sense since the target demographic is more likely to include people who want something other than co-habiting vanilla monogamy. About the only options appear to be "friendship" or "relationship". Self evidently they don't believe neurodiverse relationship anarchists exist.

The LGBT options don't make a lot of sense anyway. With there being no obvious setting for sexual orientation.

The offered "matches" appear to be given on a "distance is no object" basis :)

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 4:03 pm

mpe wrote:
Self evidently they don't believe neurodiverse relationship anarchists exist.

Or maybe they simply didn't consider whatever "neurodiverse relationship anarchy" means?

mpe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Apr 2015, 4:03 pm

Mahler7 wrote:
Just created a temporary profile. I like the idea, but they have a long way to go. If they could copy OKC's questioning format and searching format it would be a lot easier to use.

But probably avoid the OKC questions. Especially the ones full of logical fallacies.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 4:17 pm

mpe wrote:
There is also a lack of relationship paradigm questions. Which makes little sense since the target demographic is more likely to include people who want something other than co-habiting vanilla monogamy. About the only options appear to be "friendship" or "relationship". Self evidently they don't believe neurodiverse relationship anarchists exist.

Yes, polyamory and time alone requirements (was that one there??) should be in any neurodiverse matching algorithm, but so should attachment style because when this is different it can create a lot of pain. In addition to that, asexuality, BD/SM and hugging vs kissing should also be there. Then, ideally, there should be some special accommodations for shy people so they dare to set up meetings.

mpe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Apr 2015, 4:20 pm

rdos wrote:
mpe wrote:

Yes. The AQ test has 4 alternatives, but they are aggregated into only two when scoring. No idea why they made this strange design. It could be because autistic and non-autistic people use large Likert-scales differently.

It makes little sense to me. Since it equates to ignoring part of the answer which has been specifically requested. They might just as well ask "agree"/"disagree". Even that's missing "don't care" and "it depends on something else".

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 4:25 pm

mpe wrote:
Even that's missing "don't care" and "it depends on something else".

That's typically hard to handle in tests with fixed cutoffs, like the AQ test. You basically cannot omit answers in the AQ-test without affecting scores.

mpe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Apr 2015, 4:30 pm

rdos wrote:
mpe wrote:
Even that's missing "don't care" and "it depends on something else".

That's typically hard to handle in tests with fixed cutoffs, like the AQ test. You basically cannot omit answers in the AQ-test without affecting scores.

I'd suspect that some of the questions being vague and broad can also affect the scores. I guess these tests were created by NTs...

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 11:37 pm

rdos wrote:
mpe wrote:

From memory, they found it made no significant difference to score it on the four point scale, compared to two. However when I studied it, I did find a difference, and I preferred the results using the four point scale, so I dunno. But it certainly makes it easier for a person to ANSWER, even if it makes no difference to the scoring. Part of survey design is creating a pleasant experience for the respondent.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 2:23 am

How about a dating site without the stupid questionnaires and the stupid matching things altogether?

Let the person's looks and basic info be the front, and people explore further thro conversation, like in real life?