Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2015, 2:30 am

This organization hopes to put a woman's image on a twenty dollar bill sometime in the near future.

Read more about it here:

http://www.womenon20s.org/

About time women were on money in the US, eh?

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2015, 2:40 am

our paper money is limited to presidents and founding fathers. even putting a recent president on one is considered out of taste. so maybe when we have our first woman president and then 50-100 years after they can be on money.

not really a gender issue. if there was a woman president of high statue and they refused to do it then it could be, but going out of the system to put a woman on one just for the sake of putting a woman on one.

what's next we going appoint a woman as president just to be fair even if they have no idea what they doing?

it'd be like canada not using the king/queen. more to do with tradition and how our money is set up then limiting women.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2015, 2:50 am

Only if it would make the 20 dollar bill worth more, otherwise I don't really see the point in changing who's face is on it, it's still a damn 20 regardless. Of course if they changed what it is worth I could see them changing how it looks. And besides there are those silver dollars with a woman on them...I guess she doesn't count to them.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2015, 3:07 am

Point is, women are roughly fifty percent of the population and you don't see any on money, just a stamp here and there. I think they should honor someone like Whitney Houston though instead of politicians and wives of politicians. Whitney Houston generates more money than any wife of a politician so it's fair, right?

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2015, 3:12 am

I see no reason to put anyone on a US note that is not a former President until such time that we have so many different notes that we run out of Presidents to put on them.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2015, 3:15 am

eric76 wrote:
I see no reason to put anyone on a US note that is not a former President until such time that we have so many different notes that we run out of Presidents to put on them.

Okay let me ask you this.

Whyyyyyyy does it have to be a President????? I don't get that. You want limited government yet you insist on putting PRESIDENTS on currency though last I checked ole Ben was never a US president yet there he sits on bill 100.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2015, 3:24 am

We've already had a woman on a one dollar coin.

Personally, I find it stupid to decide whether or not to put someone on a currency of any kind because of their sex or race. Put them on there for what they did and only for what they did. Anything else is an insult.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2015, 3:29 am

eric76 wrote:

Personally, I find it stupid to decide whether or not to put someone on a currency of any kind because of their sex or race. Put them on there for what they did and only for what they did. Anything else is an insult.

This group wants to put a woman's image on a widely circulated dollar bill, which would be like a one, five, ten, twenty, not a coin. Coins do not typically do images justice, anyway. There's not much you can do with a coin as far as detailing goes. I personally believe someone who generates a lot of money has earned their face on money. That makes sense. How can that be disputed? Politicians are so full of themselves only because they are in control of the government so they must be on all government things but we the people, right? This country is supposed to be much more than just government, politicians and what politicians do. We are pretty much becoming a country that revolves around politicians when America is supposed to be more complex than that.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2015, 3:39 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
eric76 wrote:

This group wants to put a woman's image on a widely circulated dollar bill, which would be like a one, five, ten, twenty, not a coin. Coins do not typically do images justice, anyway. There's not much you can do with a coin as far as detailing goes. I personally believe someone who generates a lot of money has earned their face on money. That makes sense. How can that be disputed? Politicians are so full of themselves only because they are in control of the government so they must be on all government things but we the people, right? This country is supposed to be much more than just government, politicians and what politicians do. We are pretty much becoming a country that revolves around politicians when America is supposed to be more complex than that.

So you think that making lots of money should be enough reason to appear on money? Like Warren Buffet? T Boone Pickens? Bill Gates?

Sheesh!

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2015, 3:52 am

It's not about worshiping politicians. It is recognizing those few people who built and shaped the framework of this country. Unfortunately, women didn't have much clout during those eras, but slapping any female on a bill is not the answer.

People who have generated or accumulated wealth should not be used on anything monetary. America is more complicated than that. Even though we are a capitalist nation, the former idea makes a parody of our society.

Even though the Susan B Anthony and Sacagawea dollars weren't as widely circulated, they shouldn't be discounted. Coins have a much longer life than paper bills, and there have been pushes in the past to eliminate paper money with lower denominations because of this.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

09 Apr 2015, 4:03 am

Andrew Jackson is probably rolling over his grave being on federal reserve note, his greatest accomplishment as president and life's work was killing the national bank so it is a deliberate slight putting his face there.

I'm not sure I would replace him with a woman just for the sake of having a woman, everyone else on paper money is a president or founder so you'd think follow that theme as. There are Susan B Anthony and Sacajawea dollars, Lady Liberty obviously, who is the person with the stature that belongs on our paper money?

People hate on dollar coins for some reason, I like them and my dad use to give us Sacajaweas pretty much every day to pay for lunch as a kid.

Alienhybrid
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Apr 2015, 4:09 am

The woman who authored Uncle Toms Cabin
Harriet Beecher Stowe
'twas the second biggest selling book of the 1800's
After the bible.

or Marilyn Monroe?

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2015, 4:31 am

If I was going to go for someone who was neither a President nor one of the founders of the country, I would probably go for a high ranking military officer who served the country with very high distinction. Of course, some of those went on to become President such as Ike Eisenhower?

As for those who didn't go on to become President, how about Mark Clark, Douglas MacArthur, George Marshall, George Patton, or Omar Bradley?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2015, 6:33 am

Who really looks at their money, anyway? As long as it is still "... Legal Tender, for All Debts, Public and Private", I don't care whose picture is on it.

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2015, 10:12 am

Leave our first US controlled Florida governor alone! He kicked British butt in New Orleans!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2015, 10:25 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Point is, women are roughly fifty percent of the population and you don't see any on money, just a stamp here and there. I think they should honor someone like Whitney Houston though instead of politicians and wives of politicians. Whitney Houston generates more money than any wife of a politician so it's fair, right?

What about:

Does she not count because she's a native or something?