Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2015, 11:36 pm

I am surprised no one has thought of it before. Since religious folks are the ones trying to deprive LGBT of rights based on religious freedom, why not create an LGBT religion complete with an LGBT Religious Codex or Text of some kind that states LGBT is part of its own religion? That way no one can deprive you of practicing your religion in the US.

Seems the only way to have rights is to be a religion...so.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 12:09 am

Well, atleast one person has escaped, if not persecution, certainly PROSecution (and gotten rich as hell) by declaring a non religion to be a religion. That being L.Ron Hubbard, and Scientology.

So I suppose that you could concoct a religion that required LBGT behavior in its commandments, and could try to see if the Supreme Court who accept it as a legit religion.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

10 Apr 2015, 12:58 am

I'm not sure you really say those "religious freedom" laws are really active persecution done by the state but rather the state not interfering to stop discrimination done against gays under the guise that it violate religious beliefs, sodomy laws would more fit my definition of persecution.

The laws are dumb btw and pointless, it seems overly broad considering the issue seems to mainly about the catering and venues of gay weddings which to me is just dumb from all angles. Like I get the religious argument not wanting to preform the ceremony which they might take as a religious but I don't think they're being forced to do that anywhere, its just the reception which is just for fun pretty much with no religious significance AFAIK. If I were a gay couple I wouldn't want to be giving money to bigots anyways for what is suppose be such a wondrous event especially with catering, you trust them? That's on them turning down the business, there shouldn't be any shortage of other suitors willing to pick up the slack.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 1:07 am

If there's a religious rite that says two members of the same sex must marry and pizza must be provided at the ceremony, it would be against the constitution to deprive the rite of pizza.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 8:24 am

And then comes ...

- The religion of slobbery. Since 'slobs' are discriminated against by stores "no shoes or shirt then no service". Their religious beliefs is to dress like a slob, or the Religion of Nudism - to be free to enter a store naked. So stop discriminating against their religious beliefs!

- The religion of bad choices. Since bad credit people / ex-inmates are discriminated against because of past behavior. Their religious beliefs is to make bad decisions. So stop discriminating against their religious beliefs!

- The religion of idiocy. Since under-educated/unintelligent face discrimination by colleges. Their religious beliefs is to stay lowly educated. So stop discriminating against their religious beliefs!

- The religion of the unskilled. Since poorly skilled people are discriminated by employers. Their religious beliefs is to not pursue training. So stop discriminating against their religious beliefs!

We can have 1st amendment lawsuits flying everywhere, for every group that faces a form of discrimination.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 2:17 pm

Well, to call it "LGBT Religion" seems to imply "worship of LGBT PEOPLE".

If you mean that LGBT people should have their own houses of worship, they DO----they're all over the U.S., Canada, and the U.K (if not all over Europe)----I've been to one, to attend an acquaintance's same-sex wedding.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 3:14 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
And then comes ...

- The religion of slobbery. Since 'slobs' are discriminated against by stores "no shoes or shirt then no service". Their religious beliefs is to dress like a slob, or the Religion of Nudism - to be free to enter a store naked. So stop discriminating against their religious beliefs!

- The religion of bad choices. Since bad credit people / ex-inmates are discriminated against because of past behavior. Their religious beliefs is to make bad decisions. So stop discriminating against their religious beliefs!

- The religion of idiocy. Since under-educated/unintelligent face discrimination by colleges. Their religious beliefs is to stay lowly educated. So stop discriminating against their religious beliefs!

- The religion of the unskilled. Since poorly skilled people are discriminated by employers. Their religious beliefs is to not pursue training. So stop discriminating against their religious beliefs!

We can have 1st amendment lawsuits flying everywhere, for every group that faces a form of discrimination.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but *ehem* you are stomping all over my individual liberty by requiring I wear shoes and shirt, even though I am a woman, I should be able to go shirtless in a free society. I should be free to do what I want when I want and if I don't want to wear a shoe or a shirt, then respect my liberty!

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 3:15 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:

If you mean that LGBT people should have their own houses of worship, they DO----they're all over the U.S., Canada, and the U.K (if not all over Europe)----I've been to one, to attend an acquaintance's same-sex wedding.

I meant, say it is a part of worshiping a god or goddess and then voila, instant protection of rights.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 4:13 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:

I meant, say it is a part of worshiping a god or goddess and then voila, instant protection of rights.

What exactly is "it"? The "it" that would be part of worshipping God/Goddess that would be protected by the Constitution?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 4:23 pm

In 1968, Troy Perry founded the Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropoli ... ity_Church ) which ministers specifically (but not exclusively) to LGBT followers.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 4:30 pm

I think that would only bring more trouble than the LGBT community's got, right now. The LGBT community wants to be accepted----they don't want something separating them, even MORE.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 6:05 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
And then comes ...

You forgot to add the religion of bigots, persecution is their religious right.

Oh wait...we already have that.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 6:38 pm

Twice now, I've started to post a fictionalization liturgy for such a church, including satirized stereotypes of LGBT people, Catholics, Greek Orthodox Christians, and even southern Baptists. But every time I get ready to press the 'Submit' button, I realized the inevitability that someone (anyone, really) could read through it and take enough offense to petition the mods to have me not only banned, but drawn and quartered as well!

(Okay, that last part is an exaggeration.)

Otherwise, someone (again, anyone) might take the parody so seriously that they would want to know when the next service will be held and if they can bring a friend who "really doesn't get it". Just remember Fnord's Law ...

"Any sufficiently adept parody of religion is indistinguishable from religion itself."

(Yes, I made that one up, back in the days of 1200 baud modems and dial-up bulletin board systems. Remember FIDO?)

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 6:43 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:

What exactly is "it"? The "it" that would be part of worshipping God/Goddess that would be protected by the Constitution?

"It" would be what LGBT people do that Christians say interferes with freedom of religion. If you say it is part of a religion then you can't be attacked by Christians.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 6:44 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
I think that would only bring more trouble than the LGBT community's got, right now. The LGBT community wants to be accepted----they don't want something separating them, even MORE.

I disagree. I think it would give them magical protection.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 7:13 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:

"It" would be what LGBT people do that Christians say interferes with freedom of religion. If you say it is part of a religion then you can't be attacked by Christians.

Well...what IS this thing that LGBT people do that Christian say interferes with freedon of religion?

I will help you out- what you mean is: start a religion that requires same sex marriage. So if anyone refuses to cater a same sex marriage by someone in this religion then they would be in effect descriminating against the couple on the basis of religion by denying them a tenet of the couple's religion. Therefore the refusal to cater would be legally defined as religous descrimination therefore the government could force the restaurant to cater the same sex marriage against the restaurant's will (though it wouldnt apply to same sex couples in general, only to those in the church of Anaism).

Is that what you're saying?