Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2015, 4:51 pm

I was wondering in light of the recent civil right issues, cases of brutality and civil unrest, if anything could be learned from the concept of Policing by Consent or Peelian principles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peelian_Principles

I know US has a entirely different history of law enforcement, so I can appreciate that. Still I wonder if something could be learnt from these ideas.

Even in the UK we have to constantly had to remind ourselves of these principles. Don't get me wrong we have had serious issues too. For instance the Special Demonstration Squad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_De ... tion_Squad

In my opinion, although that the ATF and DEA have engaged in criminal activity such as complicity in money laundering,smuggling, not protecting their informants, turning a blind eye to criminal network's activity and some of their cover operation have been highly questionable, the level of deep cover in groups like SDS is as bad if not worse. It was going on for many decades, with relationships, stolen identities, etc. Bare in mind they were targeting groups not necessarily becuase they knew they were involved in crime but more on the of chance they might be, and also to build credibility in those communities for infiltrating other groups. This is a very slippery slope (the old flawed 'anti-subversive' attitude). In one case there was a case of domestic terrorism (arson), and the officer was processed under his false identity, and he was complicit in this act, in it could have been avoided.

I think there a danger however well meaning policing based on perception or fear of crime can lead to ineffective law enforcement, and abuse of power.

I'm also sure law enforcement is not an easy job and there are a lot of frustrations, and grief. I do think that patience, and anger management are key qualities that do need to be tested in recruitment.

For instance, recently there was a guy who was tasered for flying a drone over a national park in Hawaii, and not grounding it quickly enough. Yes it technically illegal, however you could argue it could have been dealt with differently. This is why it is important to hire the right people for your forces.

Folk say there is 'no smoke without fire', and 'just comply' and you will be OK, however everything including policing needs to be subject to public scrutiny. Lack of public confidence in law enforcement, undermines the whole effort.