Do you think we should be allowed to mate?

Page 1 of 11 [ 175 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

anthropic_principle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 May 2015, 8:42 am

I personally do not think we should be allowed to create offspring.. the amount of suffering I have endured is simply immense and my life is quite awful because of being autistic.
I know that autism has its perks, but those aren't as relevant in todays world.. we have given the world great inventions and theories etc., but I think it's time to leave.
I didn't used to think like this but now that I am 20 I realize how crippling this condition really is when you're not just a kid.
The way I see it is is immoral to bring someone into the world who will likely only suffer and be bullied and live a lonely life of introspection and rejection.
I wish I was never born.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2015, 8:47 am

I think we should be allowed to mate.

People with autism don't necessarily give birth to people with autism.

It's not a cut-and-dry genetic disorder. Some autistic people actually make good parents.

We have some here on this Site who are successful at being parents.

anthropic_principle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 May 2015, 8:55 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

It's not a cut-and-dry genetic disorder. Some autistic people actually make good parents.

Even if its true that they dont necessarily give birth to people with autism, mine was inherited at least and thats a fact.
It is something that runs in families.. I dont think its worth the risk to allow them to reproduce.
Im not denying that they can make good parents.. I never said anything about that, but I'm simply thinking for the children. How will they cope when their parents are gone? Is it not immoral to bring someone in to the world who will likely suffer immensely? Look at the type of people on this site.. we mostly don't live good lives at all. I feel I just can't survive in the world or be happy because of this condition.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2015, 9:01 am

I think, perhaps, that people with autism should use their own discretion, like you're doing.

I don't think there should be a "ban" on autistic people having children. Autism covers many functioning levels, and many different levels of sadness and happiness. Sometimes it runs in families; sometimes, it doesn't. It doesn't run in my family, for example.

You should read Donna Williams. She's pretty happy right now, after a previous life of sadness.

You should also read Temple Grandin.

I'm sorry you're going through what you're going through. I wish there were easy solutions. I wish I could find a way to ease your pain.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2015, 9:03 am

anthropic_principle wrote:
Is it not immoral to bring someone in to the world who will likely suffer immensely?

What consitutes suffering to you could be a learning experience to another.

Many children raised by narcissistic parents end up suffering.

So maybe narcissists shouldn't be allowed to mate either...

Agemaki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 May 2015, 9:41 am

How would a no-mating policy be enforced? Forced sterilization of the disabled is a bit squicky to me.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2015, 9:51 am

Agemaki wrote:
How would a no-mating policy be enforced? Forced sterilization of the disabled is a bit squicky to me.

And that is the clincher. Whether something is a curse or a blessing or both or neutral to be born with is a moot point. The real question is- should people be sterilized against their wishes if they have condition X? My answer is no. I think it is unethical to not allow people to make that decision themselves.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2015, 9:58 am

Is it not immoral to bring someone in to the world who will likely suffer immensely?

No, I do not think it is. Every single human born potentially will suffer immensely and it may be impossible to have a suffering-free life at all. To be born at all is a risky proposition and always ends in death- the nature of which few know in advance. The potential calamities that can befall us are unlimited and there is no set of birth circumstances that can prevent that.

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2015, 10:21 am

Fat people shoudn't be allowed to mate then. That will get rid of the obesity crisis.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2015, 11:36 am

The amount of suffering an autistic person has to deal with because they are autistic might be less in the future.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2015, 12:14 pm

I think you live in a world where you are free to have children or not have children as suits you. If you do not want to bring a child with a good chance of having autism into the world, don't have kids.

I don't think that there should be a 'no children' policy for all autistics. That's ridiculous.

At the most I would go for having some sort of parental screening for anyone thinking of becoming a parent, like what happens with adoption but for children in general. And I'm very skeevy about that even, because such screenings and measures will be heavily influenced by cultural norms which people will purvey as 'absolutes' when they're no such thing. ie: it is not possible to objectively measure criteria for what is proper child-rearing skills or what sort of life should or shouldn't be allowed for someone.

Poor motivation

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2015, 12:32 pm

What causes autistic people to suffer is not always autism itself. It's mostly people around them that make them suffer. Punishing the victims is not a good idea. There are many other sorts of people that deserve to be banned from having children.

anthropic_principle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 May 2015, 12:44 pm

jk1 wrote:
What causes autistic people to suffer is not always autism itself. It's mostly people around them that make them suffer. Punishing the victims is not a good idea. There are many other sorts of people that deserve to be banned from having children.

Im well aware of that.. but lets be honest the world isnt changing for us any time soon is it.
It might just be the depression or chronic pain talking.. but lately Ive been starting to realize how hellish this world really is for us.. Just like the website name implies I dont feel I belong here at all..

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2015, 1:15 pm

So wait because you endured much suffering and see your life as awful....none of us on the spectrum should be allowed to reproduce? Not following that line of reason exactly. Also are you certain all the issues in your life and things causing it to seem miserble are due to simply having autism alone....or are there other factors, like how people treat you?

I do not think one persons wish to never be born should dictate whether or not those of us on the spectrum have children or not. Though I do believe it is possible to have autism and not be miserable as I think a lot of the misery comes from external factors....not to say the autism itself does not cause some difficulties like in my case sensory issues is one example but then of course it is possible to try and find ways to reduce sensory over-load or handle it if it happens.

Also though autism doesn't always run in families....two non-autistic people could still produce an autistic child, also autistic people could create a child without autism so legislation to outlaw us on the spectrum reproducing wouldn't stop the existence of autism anyways. I don't want to reproduce but I hardly think that should have any bearing on if other people want to or not.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2015, 1:20 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Even if its true that they dont necessarily give birth to people with autism, mine was inherited at least and thats a fact.
It is something that runs in families.. I dont think its worth the risk to allow them to reproduce.
Im not denying that they can make good parents.. I never said anything about that, but I'm simply thinking for the children. How will they cope when their parents are gone? Is it not immoral to bring someone in to the world who will likely suffer immensely? Look at the type of people on this site.. we mostly don't live good lives at all. I feel I just can't survive in the world or be happy because of this condition.

I guess I approach it differently....society could be changed to mitigate the immense suffering. Other way just means the status quo wins, and those autistics who come from non autistic parents will just slip through the cracks and have even more miserable of lives at least if we aren't barred from reproducing and thinning the numbers it forces society to address that we exist and are entitled to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness just like anyone else this way maybe things can change for the better....the other way they try to eradicate it and then those who are still born with it would have no real support/services, accommodations or any understanding about their condition since there wouldn't be anymore reason for it to be addressed as a society.

TheCrookedFingers
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 May 2015, 1:47 pm

Sorry about being blunt, but just because you're unhappy, does it mean everyone with your same condition should be denied a basic human right?