Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2015, 8:12 am

Does art need to justify itself? If I go to an art gallery then I'll maybe have to ask the question what is the point? Something I may be looking for is an experience I might not otherwise wise get. Writers give me that all the time. Maybe we will demand a bit more from painters to get that new experience.

I paint portraits and would hope to show something that doesn't happen with a photograph. I put something of my own self into the painting. I try to communicate with my subject even if that is somebody I do not know personally.

Portrait painting for me is confrontational. Does the artist confront the subject and does the subject confront the viewer.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2015, 8:20 am

Art should stand on its own, without any explanation whatsoever.

Explaining a work of art is like explaining a joke - if the person doesn't "get it" right from the start, then any explanation will only make the experience worse.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2015, 11:47 am

The point of art is to channel energy into an endeavor.

I also have other reason for creating art. Most importantly, for me, is to create illustrations to stories I create in my mind. I have been doing this since I was old enough to talk, reciting stories and drawing them out on pieces of paper while telling them and I always enjoyed and found great happiness in this state.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2015, 2:01 pm

Art is the only way we can see into the mind of another.

I am with OAnaO on this, I write, but in illustrating the story, I get a whole other view than I do in words.

It is for me and the reader. My verbal description of a character, is less defining.

The more sharply seen in my mind, the more of a character identity. Words could be anyone, an image narrows down who is the subject.

I find it takes a creative imagination to start a story. After the plot is laid out, characters defined, I get feedback directly from the story, on how to develop it. I draw my characters, do a character sheet, but find that looking at one character through the eyes of another gives new insights.

The same for images. I would produce one view. It is something between myself and the character, as I see them, as they see themselves. As they are seen by another character has to do with the relationship between them. We all play a lot of roles, an image varies as seen by a friend, lover, child, enemy.

Good art is invasive. Characters get introduced, they are a short description and a cardboard cutout image. The reader/viewer must meet them, and get to know them as would a person. The role has to grow in depth and range.

Strange to me who is not foremost a painter, is how much personality and emotion one drawing can convey. I do not know how I do it, I am not great or trained, but drawing the same character in different situations, they become the person for the situation.

Lately I have taken interest in animation as an art form. I find most of it cartoonish, plots weak, storylines vague. Still it is the evolving storytelling medium. I started when an illustrated book in color was very expensive to produce, and now find I can include full color animation and sound in an E-Book.

Art is also invasive of technology. Scanners, Software, Printers, Binders are a lot of new brushes.

It is taking time but Websites can become moving canvases. So far the web looks like a phone book, catalog, or ad for office fixtures. What do you expect from geeks and nerds? Artists have another tech, the two will merge.

The Point of Art is learning how others see life. Some writers I never finish one book, others I seek out everything they have published. I imagine other people have their favorites, that I consider weak and a waste of time.

Some of it speaks to me, I know others have seen as I do, it is a sign on my path through life.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2015, 1:00 am

I detest the elitist mindset that says if you don't understand art that you never will, and that explanations of art are not only a waste of time but somehow diminish the art.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2015, 7:37 am

I draw because it's fun and let's all the stress out so I think that's the point of it

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2015, 8:20 am

'Talking Body of Art'

For me ART is the human mind set free, in body balance, as well.

And what I mean by set free, is the human mind set free from a 'land'
of mechanical cognition, and restricted body balance in 'sidewalk' moves.

And just to talk about mechanical cognition is mechanical cognition limiting;

However, to lay out mechanical cognition in Art is of course a work of ART.

For me ART has a 'mind' of its own. The Art leads me; I do not lead the Art.

My main Arts are from Childhood Piano and never freeing myself fully to
create unique with piano until age 47, and a composition free does come.

And then comes writing; first strictly logic and mechanical cognition starting
in 2010; then emotions start to flow; then finally in 2013; I 'knOw' longer have
to think to express the energy of writing Art; and the writing becomes Free
verse poetry instead of 'mathematical' writing with 'Queen Victoria' as such.

Ah, and eyesight is restored; the smartphone is a perfect companion to
cherish the moment in the Art of photography, capturing synchronicity
flow wherever I go; making visual poetry a reality in new technology.

And then the words 'tell me' to dance; so I dance and the dance becomes Art;
without a thought; as the creativity in dance guides me through every step;
and move of body Art until my mind and body becomes balanced as one
force; with emotions regulated, senses integrated; and focus increasing,
along with short term memory enhanced for steaming cognitive
executive functioning, as one human force in tune, as living life.

And then comes Martial Arts to offset the divine feminine ballet-like flow,
in Sacred Warrior Spirit; Oh, and there is always singing, as with the
synergy of all these Arts the words in song do start to flow higher
and higher to reach the 'Temple' top of Catholic Church with 'Choirs
of Angels' in Unison.

For me, the point of Art
is to for Now,

literAlly become
the metaphor of Art,
as human being.

For me, Art is the creative force of the God of Nature; and
inherent potential in most of humankind just waiting to
be awakened and enlightened, as human Chi Force energy;
what the Christians call Holy Spirit; or what 'Anakin Skywalker'
calls the Dark and Light Forces of the Universe; Yes, Art can be
Dark and Light too, and all shades of colors and hues of grey,
as well. And there is no limit to Art, as long as it comes from
Human soul in greater mindful awareness in mind and body
balance in Feeling heArt expressed as human emotional
Spirit Flow
for
Now;
A Human
Force Fully
Alive and
Free..:)

Yes, finally my middle
name Arthur, takes flight..;)

Artscript:

Human sensuality is A Core
originator of
All Human
Art;
And yes, even science
shows this now,
in the creative
and productive
Art of
Human
Lust.

Art is more than a talking head.
Art is a 'talking body', as well..:)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2015, 8:51 am

auntblabby wrote:
I detest the elitist mindset that says if you don't understand art that you never will, and that explanations of art are not only a waste of time but somehow diminish the art.

I enjoy being part of an International Poetry group that shares poetry and other related arts online.

The best part of the experience is commenting in poetic expression to the poetry of others and seeing
how everyone relates differently to the poetry in their unique expressions of their humanity of
perceived Universe.

Art is a microcosm of human reality in this way; in the fact and art that we all see reality different.

There is no ART that stands alone. Art is always a collaborative effort from the time
we humans

are born as healthy social animals in cooperative effort to inspire each other to

LIVE.

And truly human without Art is illness at the core of what human even means
as being.

I AM sick, very sick, in a mechanical cognition oriented culture for 40 years.

And Now I am well, very well,

in deed
of
Art
and ART
of Human Being.

Overall, Life Itself,
is a Prompt for Human
Art. To fully live, is
with it..:)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2015, 10:29 am

auntblabby wrote:

They probably say that because for some pieces of art, they can't describe what it means to them. Like literature, each individual takes something different from it than someone else might. I've found that with my art, people ascribe meaning where I never put any, while others just say "Oh, I guess that's nice..." I don't mind explaining my art to people, though, and I think any description should come from the artist, even if it's just "I dunno what it means, I merely wanted to paint it." Otherwise, the person is describing their perception of art rather than explaining what the piece meant to the artist.

Some people will never... understand? art to the extent others will, but that doesn't mean they can't enjoy it and for it to have meaning for them. For me, art is just a way to pour myself out to the world, whether they understand it "correctly" or not.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2015, 12:09 pm

Some people I know are really big into art. It kind of drives me nuts :). They'll make pieces that look like pieces I made when I was a child and then complain that the government (usually referring to local/city government) needs to subsidize them for their art. My opinion is that if a person makes art that people want and are willing to pay for, great! Good for them! If not, get a real job.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2015, 1:11 pm

The point depends on the aim/goal. Art can have a loose goal, and be an organic process for the artist or it can have a fixed goal, with an end product; two types of art, communicating different messages and providing the artist with different experiences, process orientated and product orientated, skilled artists can combine the two.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2015, 1:45 pm

I think it's nice when art "conveys a message"--but it's not necessary for "conveying message" to be the prime focus of the art.

I have my tastes in art--and they lean toward the Representational, the Colorful, and the Beautiful

I don't tend to like Abstract, Drab, and ugly art creations.

Anything in between: I would assess by their individuals merits/detractions.

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2015, 1:50 pm

As the Austrian satirist, Karl Krauss, once said: 'Die Kunst dient dazu, uns die Augen auszuwischen' ... 'The purpose of art is to wash the dust from our eyes'.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2015, 2:29 pm

Art has long been subverted into an economic asset.

I see art as having two categories. Real art and Art-for-Cash.

Real art is that which can be seen by a multitude of different people, from different cultures and economic status and be recognized as something that took effort and skill to create and which has a meaning behind it. That meaning can be different to each person but just that upon looking at it, it can be recognized as having meaning qualifies it as real art.

Art-for-Cash is that which upon looking at it by different people from different cultures and economic status has wildly different opinions on the opposite end of the spectrum as to whether it took effort and skill to make and most importantly, if there is a meaning behind it. This kind of art is given value and meaning not by the actual 'art' piece but by people who through group-think and which would benefit economically from calling it art. In layman's terms, 'hyping' a turd to give it value.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2015, 3:28 pm

Any form of art can become "Art for Cash" if the price is right.

Art is solely the artists' expression of his or her perceptions, filtered through his or her emotions: anger, joy, lust, serenity, financial greed, ... boredom ...

I think that most, if not all, 'real' art is produced by people with too much spare time and not enough gumption to get real jobs.

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2015, 4:10 pm

Quote:
I think that most, if not all, 'real' art is produced by people with too much spare time and not enough gumption to get real jobs.

That is just a hurtful thing to say. I am retired so have no need to earn money from my art, except maybe to pay some costs.

I speak to many of the artists who and exhibit in my town. I also speak to gallery owners. A few years back I was told that top artists were earning 27,500 pounds p.a. The average respectable professional artist earned 8,000. Those artists were nearly all working. A majority of artists I know in my town are women married to high earning professional men. Some of them still have jobs.