Page 17 of 19 [ 303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

denpajin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 May 2015, 8:51 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
denpajin wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
denpajin wrote:
Rights is not something granted to you by a piece of paper or a man in a fancy office, it is something granted to you from the moment you are born. Some people call these rights "god-given", I like to call them "natural rights".

OK, if that is the definition of "right" you wish to use, I dispute that you have a "right" to property. Would you care to provide evidence to support your claim?

You actually don't think I have the right to keep my own private property? Seriously?

So even if I work hard and honestly for someone, so that I can get enough money to buy a plot of land in the woods, and then work even harder to build a house, it is still not mine? Even though I worked honestly, bought the land honestly, and built the house honestly?

Property rights mean nothing without the government acknowledging and enforcing them. Otherwise, who's going to defend you if armed men come and kick you out of your home? Sure, you can fight them off in a gun battle, but there's more of a chance that you'll either die or be hurt, not mention your property will be damaged. It makes more sense to have publicly funded police protecting you in the first place. Or what if your neighbor builds a house on your property? Without government, there's be no court system to right that wrong. The simple fact is, private property means jack without the existence of government.

If armed men come and kick me out of my home, I will detonate the explosives I have rigged all throughout my house (or gas, if I feel like I have to save my material possessions). Or, I would fight. "cold dead hands" etc etc etc... Really though, it's up to the individual to protect themselves. As stated earlier in this thread, "you're not entitled to safety". If my neighbor builds a house on my property, I will thank him for the gift, and use it for maybe something like a greenhouse... If he tries to claim something he put on my property on purpose as his own, I will tell him to sod off, and if he does not sod off, I will force him off my property, if he does not comply then, I will have to shoot him. Such is life when people invade your rightfully owned land...

In the first place, I doubt any of those things would happen. An armed society is a polite society.

denpajin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 May 2015, 8:55 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
denpajin wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
denpajin wrote:
Of course there would be costs for using roads! There are costs for using roads today too, we just call them "taxes". Here in Norway you have to pay out of your ass to drive a car.
You could pay out of your ass to the government or pay out your of ass to road inc. What would be the difference?

The difference is that with Road Inc, you could chose for yourself what roads you want to buy/rent/own a stake of/whatever, and if you just said "I don't want to use or pay for your roads", nobody would come and jail/shoot you. It's voluntary.

You also have the fact that there would most likely be Road Inc, Acme Roads, and Road International, so you can pick which road provider to buy your road from, then Road Inc and Acme Roads would have to compete for your business, and thus you would get a better end product.

There are pragmatic and idealistic benefits, there you have them.
Yep, competition between different roads is a theme of Snow Crash. Each road is not only a corporation but also a sovereign microstate.

People in Snow Crash don't pay to have private roads built for them. Not everyone can own their own road. They pay tolls. People don't get to decide which roads get built individually, not even by voting with their dollars. If Road Inc has one road that I need to use but they're using my tolls to fund construction of another road I think is unnecessary, I don't get to tell them what to do with their corporation. I could choose not to use their road but if it's runs past my house I'll be a shut-in.

Not all the funds from tolls would be used for maintenance or to pay back construction costs of that particular road. It's common corporate practice that most of the profits go to expanding the business, not maintaining it.

Anyway, Road Inc doesn't get to build roads where ever it likes. In a world where each road, suburb and strip mall is a sovereign microstate, zoning disputes can get very heated. There can also be conflicts of interest. In the book, a section of Fairlanes Inc is bought by a mall and redirected into their labyrinthine parking system, confusing by design. You can attempt to drive through to the other side if you want but it's easier to just park and shop. The plan was implemented to prevent shoppers from driving through to rival malls.

Normally competition between malls would lead to lower prices but this mall has a large section of LA to itself, leaving them free to jack up the prices. This fictional example illustrates how, while the free market can lead to increased competition and lower prices, it can also reduce competition which leads to higher prices.

Remember, if some CEO is talking about how competition leads to lower prices, he may be plotting to set up a monopoly.

This is a long post. it is four in the morning here, I will come back tomorrow for another round of Denpa Vs the Wrongplanet. :3

Good night guys.

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2015, 8:58 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
denpajin wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
denpajin wrote:
Of course there would be costs for using roads! There are costs for using roads today too, we just call them "taxes". Here in Norway you have to pay out of your ass to drive a car.
You could pay out of your ass to the government or pay out your of ass to road inc. What would be the difference?

The difference is that with Road Inc, you could chose for yourself what roads you want to buy/rent/own a stake of/whatever, and if you just said "I don't want to use or pay for your roads", nobody would come and jail/shoot you. It's voluntary.

You also have the fact that there would most likely be Road Inc, Acme Roads, and Road International, so you can pick which road provider to buy your road from, then Road Inc and Acme Roads would have to compete for your business, and thus you would get a better end product.

Do you even have the slightest notion how much road construction costs? It's out of bounds for the majority of people. In fact, it was President Dwight Eisenhower who had been responsible for the American freeway system, and he was a Republican, hardly a liberal Democrat. He clearly understood that there were many projects that private industry couldn't handle themselves without the government. And even if you had private companies building roads, what assurance would there be that they'd at all intersect? Great, you have a road, but very possibly a road to nowhere. And very likely you'd have roads of varying degrees of quality. And knowing the abuses of unregulated business, the chances are, those privately built roads would be of an inferior quality, as would other unregulated products be. Without an active government looking out for the citizenry, we'd be at the mercy of business taking advantage of us all for the sake of cutting corners to make a buck.

Also, before the interstate highway system was built, you literally had roads that would end at state lines...

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2015, 9:01 pm

denpajin wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
denpajin wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
denpajin wrote:
Rights is not something granted to you by a piece of paper or a man in a fancy office, it is something granted to you from the moment you are born. Some people call these rights "god-given", I like to call them "natural rights".

OK, if that is the definition of "right" you wish to use, I dispute that you have a "right" to property. Would you care to provide evidence to support your claim?

You actually don't think I have the right to keep my own private property? Seriously?

So even if I work hard and honestly for someone, so that I can get enough money to buy a plot of land in the woods, and then work even harder to build a house, it is still not mine? Even though I worked honestly, bought the land honestly, and built the house honestly?

Property rights mean nothing without the government acknowledging and enforcing them. Otherwise, who's going to defend you if armed men come and kick you out of your home? Sure, you can fight them off in a gun battle, but there's more of a chance that you'll either die or be hurt, not mention your property will be damaged. It makes more sense to have publicly funded police protecting you in the first place. Or what if your neighbor builds a house on your property? Without government, there's be no court system to right that wrong. The simple fact is, private property means jack without the existence of government.

If armed men come and kick me out of my home, I will detonate the explosives I have rigged all throughout my house (or gas, if I feel like I have to save my material possessions). Or, I would fight. "cold dead hands" etc etc etc... Really though, it's up to the individual to protect themselves. As stated earlier in this thread, "you're not entitled to safety". If my neighbor builds a house on my property, I will thank him for the gift, and use it for maybe something like a greenhouse... If he tries to claim something he put on my property on purpose as his own, I will tell him to sod off, and if he does not sod off, I will force him off my property, if he does not comply then, I will have to shoot him. Such is life when people invade your rightfully owned land...

In the first place, I doubt any of those things would happen. An armed society is a polite society.

Why aren't I guaranteed safety? I have that expectation thanks to government.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2015, 9:04 pm

pcuser wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
denpajin wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
denpajin wrote:

Do you even have the slightest notion how much road construction costs? It's out of bounds for the majority of people. In fact, it was President Dwight Eisenhower who had been responsible for the American freeway system, and he was a Republican, hardly a liberal Democrat. He clearly understood that there were many projects that private industry couldn't handle themselves without the government. And even if you had private companies building roads, what assurance would there be that they'd at all intersect? Great, you have a road, but very possibly a road to nowhere. And very likely you'd have roads of varying degrees of quality. And knowing the abuses of unregulated business, the chances are, those privately built roads would be of an inferior quality, as would other unregulated products be. Without an active government looking out for the citizenry, we'd be at the mercy of business taking advantage of us all for the sake of cutting corners to make a buck.

Also, before the interstate highway system was built, you literally had roads that would end at state lines...

That would majorly suck.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2015, 9:08 pm

denpajin wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
denpajin wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
denpajin wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Dillogic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Is requiring citizens to pay for roads, or national defense, stealing? What if I don't think a new street is required, or that a war is immoral and shouldn't be supported? Is that then stealing to use my money?
And in all honesty, churches and other charities don't receive nearly enough donations to sustain everyone in need, nor do they have the scope the government has in order to reach everyone needing help.

Well, only if they use the roads and ask for defense. Sounds fair, right? I'm sure there'll always be enough people that will want to pay for services that they and others use.

Church is just an example of where donations can go to help others. Creating the same thing as what's in place now (collection and distribution agencies), just without compulsory attendance, doesn't seem like a problem.

In the end, it's just giving people that want to be independent, a choice to be.

Of course, people can do that now, but they're given punishments if they're caught. So it's not a choice that's without consequences from external sources, even if what they're doing isn't inherently "wrong".

But if paying taxes is a choice, then nothing is going to be paid for. And privatization of public institutions, such as jails, juvenile detention facilities, and prisons, have been absolute failures wrought with corruption, so there's no reason to think that private armies and police forces would be any different. Even the founding fathers understood that involuntary taxation was necessary, as long as it was with representation. After all, Washington as President had suppressed the Whiskey Rebellion, which was a tax revolt, by force of arms.

And look where this representation lead you! It's sh*****g all over the constitution that you once waved so proudly. No thanks, I'd rather decide for myself what I do on my own land.

Well, I suggest you buy yourself a one way ticket to Somalia, where there is no government taxation - no government at all, as a matter of fact - and where people have absolute freedom, as long as they're warlords who can squash everyone else. Guess what, there, you'll find a real gun pointed at your head to coerce you. That's all what your libertarian wet dream will get you if put into practice.

As I said before, I shouldn't have to move for people to stop stealing from me, it's simple human decency to leave people who want to be left alone, alone. Also, I sincerely doubt that Norway would turn into Somalia if we let people do what they wanted on their own land, Norway is a completely different culture with a completely different history and completely different culture. You also have the fact that Norway is an already economically and culturally developed country, unlike Somalia. Thinking that Norway is what it is only because of its government is in my opinion stupid, and I also feel like I should feel insulted, but I don't take pride or identify much with my country in the first place, so eh...

I never said Norway, or any industrialized western country would sink into being a Somalia-like cesspool; I said a libertarian like yourself should go there in order to see how a country works without government.
And if you choose to be insulted, then go right ahead. Maybe then you'll understand how you're making the rest of us feel.

You never said Norway explicitly, but you did say "That's all what your libertarian wet dream will get you if put into practice." My libertarian dream is a free Norway, and you said it would turn into a country very similar to Somalia. I also explained to you that I shouldn't have to move away from the place I was born to have people stop stealing from me.

Also, I'm not really insulted, I just feel like I should be. If you people (the ones advocating theft) are feeling insulted when I'm saying "stop stealing from me," what can I say? "deal with it"? I don't want to be rude, but I'm just saying "stop stealing from me".

But that's the thing; absolutely no one's stealing from you. Taxation is the price we pay for living in a civilized society. How is that any different from paying for goods and services from private business? Is that theft, too?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2015, 10:34 pm

denpajin wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
denpajin wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
denpajin wrote:

Of course road building is expensive, its a very labor intensive process and requires a lot of expensive materials and tools. No single individual is going to build a highway, it would most likely be something like city A and city B getting together and saying "we want a road to go between us", and then people can put money in the pot to get advantages on the road use, like exclusive access during certain hours or lower toll price.

Companies have reputations to protect, it's not in their best interest to be known as "that company who sells faulty pacemakers" or "that company whose roads falls apart after three years". People are not all helpless, some people know to look up the people they are doing business with.
Right. So city A could get together with City B. Cities C and D could join in as well, along with all the towns and countryside in between (thus avoiding zoning disputes when building roads between the four cities). All the people living therein could contribute a portion of their income to the pot to pay for road construction and maintenance, along with other services. How would this be different from the nation states we have already?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2015, 10:37 pm

denpajin wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
denpajin wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
denpajin wrote:

What!?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2015, 10:41 pm

denpajin wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
denpajin wrote:

If I were to go into the forest, I would have problems building myself a cottage, because if I do not own the land, it is not mine, and I would be thrown out of it....

No, there are lots of people who live outside the bounds of "normal society" which do so quite successfully.

Quote:
Furthermore, asking me to go somewhere else because I am asking you to stop stealing from me is unreasonable.

No, asking people to kill themselves because they cause you an inconvenience is unreasonable.....

The people who live outside of society does so risking being arrested and put in jail.

Asking people to hurt themselves instead of me is perfectly reasonable.

Well no one here is hurting you and people on social programs aren't directly hurting you either...so yes it is unreasonable to ask people to hurt themselves sitting atop your high horse, also a good way to eventually just get banned which wont bother anyone here.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2015, 10:43 pm

denpajin wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
denpajin wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
denpajin wrote:
If you can't live without others helping you, tough s**t. You have no right to force others to pay for you. You have a right to not have your life taken away from you, but you don't have a right to make others protect your life.

Taking money that is not yours away from someone against their will is stealing. Stealing is wrong. Don't steal.

Freedom is a good thing, it lets the people who can reach far reach further.

Your right to property is trumped by other people's right to life, I'm afraid. That's also a very simplistic view of "freedom" - if I take some money from Bill Gates and give it to a struggling family, I have massively boosted their freedom without making a noticeable impact on his.

My right to property is absolute. If you cannot sustain yourself in any way, it is your own fault and you should not steal from anyone. Bill Gates earned that money doing some nasty stuff (http://www.ecis.eu/documents/Finalversi ... epaper.pdf) but it is still *his* money. You have no right to take away what is not yours.

If you're really so deep in the hole that you have to resort to theft, I suggest you either go kill yourself as to not cause harm to society, or start begging instead.

Pretty sure telling people to kill themselves on this site because you're a selfish prick is against site rules. :D

So telling people to not steal from me is being a selfish prick? Alright, I'll just write that down on my list of stupid things heard today.

No telling people to kill themselves because they are on welfare programs they qualify for because you and other uber right wingers have decided to redefine taxation as stealing....and you can't bear the thought that any money you pay for taxes might end up going to someone on a welfare program makes you a selfish prick.

Also who is stealing from you anyways? if taxation really is stealing than its the government stealing from you, not people benefiting from programs/social services they qualify for so you're throwing stones at the wrong people anyways. Do you expect people struggling to feed themselves and afford basic needs and medical care to just refuse the government programs put in place to help them...just so someone like you who would rather the less fortunate just kill themselves doesn't feel like they are being stolen from?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2015, 11:01 pm

denpajin wrote:
"being public they have to be maintenance and are for the use of everyone seems much more effective." What? Could you explain what you mean by that sentence, it's not making much sense to me.

What do you mean by giving large companies more power?

Yeah taxes are a more effective system for paying for roads...it would be more expensive if they where privatized. And by giving large companies more power they could charge fees for the roads, refuse to maintenance them and in places where class division is an issue this could be used as a tactic to sort of keep the poor out....like they try to do by remolding various areas in cities to create gated communities.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 1:11 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
denpajin wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
denpajin wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
denpajin wrote:

What!?

Don't try to wrap your head around right wing fantasy, as it doesn't make sense, anyhow.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 May 2015, 6:20 am

denpajin wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
denpajin wrote:

For a start, land can never truly belong to an individual. I'm slightly put off by the idea that it can belong to a state, either. We have agreed upon rules for what can be done on the land so nobody imposes and illegal externality upon others, like destroying forests so that future generations cannot enjoy them.

But the house, assuming it is legal, is "yours", it just isn't "yours" due to some natural right - merely because the government acknowledges it as such.

I have to dispute your argument that "might is right", or that a world where "might is right" would be remotely a good place to live. It would be a huge regression. You've already claimed that you would rig your house to explode in order to deter thieves. This is obviously a huge regression on our current system.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 7:43 am

denpajin wrote:

You're absolutely right! Noone is entitled to safety, comfort, and security! Now you're getting it!

Yep. So, if you don't wish to contribute to society, go live in the woods and eat nuts and berries.

Quote:
The thing is, though, that if I go and live outside in the forest, I would want to build my own cabin. What I would do, is that I would buy myself a plot of land in the forest, and chop down trees and use the logs as building materials to make myself a nice little log house, but I can't do that since the state would come and tell me what I can or can't do on my own privately owned land, which is the problem here.

If you don't want to contribute to society, go live in the woods and eat nuts and berries. The fact you won't be comfortable isn't my concern.

Homeless people are plentiful, and the State doesn't throw them in jail. Go be "free."

Quote:
No, seriously, asking people to not hurt me, and instead go do something else, whatever that may be, is perfectly reasonable. I am literally asking you to leave me alone and go do something else, but you have a problem with this idea since you feel like you have a right to tell me what to do.

And you feel you have a right to tell me what to do, as in, go kill myself, which I'm not doing just to spare you a minor inconvenience.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 7:45 am

The_Walrus wrote:
denpajin wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
denpajin wrote:

For a start, land can never truly belong to an individual. I'm slightly put off by the idea that it can belong to a state, either. We have agreed upon rules for what can be done on the land so nobody imposes and illegal externality upon others, like destroying forests so that future generations cannot enjoy them.

But the house, assuming it is legal, is "yours", it just isn't "yours" due to some natural right - merely because the government acknowledges it as such.

I have to dispute your argument that "might is right", or that a world where "might is right" would be remotely a good place to live. It would be a huge regression. You've already claimed that you would rig your house to explode in order to deter thieves. This is obviously a huge regression on our current system.

Yep. Additionally, I find the entire notion of "inherent rights" to be laughable.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 2:17 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
donnie_darko wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
No, asking people to kill themselves because they cause you an inconvenience is unreasonable.....

See - like I said, many libertarians seem to advocate genocide towards the lower class. People always think I'm crazy when I point that out, but it's right from the horse's mouth! I've been told to kill myself many times online when I've discussed economic issues and related my personal struggles to them.

Dude, just to let you know, I'm impressed by what a lot of Libertarians are saying,I'm just a person who believes in mixed economies, and who doesn't hold fast to any particular ideology.

I'd be interested in hearing more of what you had to say.

Why would you be impressed by Libertarianism? It's inherently a hateful, classist and smug ideology. So what if they are against the federal government banning gay marriage and pot, they're ok with the states and your boss punishing you for it!