Displaying affection and ASD

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 3:34 pm

My mom wants me to hook up with a guy with Aspergers.

I know and have dated a guys with ASD, but they don't like hugs or kissing. I'm very affectionate and I think an NT guy would be a better fit, but my mom says that a guy with Aspergers would understand me.

What should I do?

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 4:02 pm

My suggestion would be to find out if the guy in question like hugs and kisses, and go from there. I have AS, and I'm very physical. The stereotype of aspies not liking hugs and kisses isn't taken out of thin air, but it's also not universal. Also, distinguish between displays of affection when you're alone together, and when in public.

314pe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 5:16 pm

Some aspies are affectionate, but very careful about showing it. You may need some patience to win their trust first.

Looking for a person with specific issues is a bad idea. Having aspergers doesn't make you a better or more understanding. Aspies are just people.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 5:35 pm

Just go out with guys you feel affection for, and feel like you have something in common with.

Whether he's an Aspie/autistic, or whatever is irrelevant.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 5:44 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Just go out with guys you feel affection for, and feel like you have something in common with.

Whether he's an Aspie/autistic, or whatever is irrelevant.

This.

My son has Aspergers and he is VERY affectionate. Some can be.

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 10:14 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
My suggestion would be to find out if the guy in question like hugs and kisses, and go from there. I have AS, and I'm very physical. The stereotype of aspies not liking hugs and kisses isn't taken out of thin air, but it's also not universal. Also, distinguish between displays of affection when you're alone together, and when in public.

yep. this

most women aspies are against hugs kisses and touching too, yet you're not. I'm not either as a male aspie. I crave it. which makes never getting it worse.

Non_Passerine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jun 2015, 11:41 pm

I hug people I'm friendly with, but only kiss the people I truly love.

Kaufmancab51
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Jun 2015, 11:32 pm

Ask them!

The best way (IMO) to know whether or not a male with asperger's is comfortable with hugs and kisses is to just ask!

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2015, 3:02 am

I am very touchy-feely with those i trust and am attracted to.
I will not tolerate touch from just about anyone (regardless of who initiated), but i love few things more then touching/hugging/cuddling those whom i have an emotional bond with (primarily, a girlfriend).

Your mother has a good point about an ASD guy understanding you, i recommend you don't blow them off this easily, there's no harm in going on a date and finding out if this guy likes touching a loved one.

TheNameless
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jun 2015, 8:47 am

Neither my husband or I are affectionate with others but we are very tactile with one another. Not liking affection from outsiders does not mean you do not wish it from a person you are romantically involved with.