Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

allenhntx
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jul 2015, 5:31 pm

I'm just now hearing of this and it confuses me? :?

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2015, 5:46 pm

Yes

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2015, 5:49 pm

^He's lying! :wink:

Aspies can lie. We tend towards telling the truth though, even if it's brutal.

WatcherAzazel
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Jul 2015, 5:52 pm

We can lie, yes, but it's usually not the first solution we think of like it is with NTs.

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2015, 5:56 pm

Lol. I'm kidding :) we can lie. Some aspies have trouble with lying because it's false information.

Some of us tend to be quite direct when we tell the truth though. For example; 'do I look fat in this dress?' 'Yes, it doesn't flatter you, wear something else'

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2015, 6:25 pm

We can lie. With a flat affect and little or no tonal inflection, our lies may sound more like like recitations of facts than do the lies of other people. Also, we may tend to be more careful and vague about the kinds of lies we tell, relying on our own literal interpretation of people's questions, and their non-literal interpretations of what we say to keep us out of trouble. We also may not tend to volunteer any information, especially if it could be used against us.

"Did you break that window?"
"No, sir." <The rock that I threw broke the window>
"Did you see the person who broke the window?"
"No, sir." <I was not looking at myself when the rock went through the window>
"Where were you?"
"Having lunch." <Note that the answer addresses the question "What were you doing?", not the question that was asked. Most people eat lunch in the cafeteria, and that's the assumption that I would want the person to make>

Yes, we can lie; but if we volunteer nothing and keep our answers short (natural acts for many aspies), we're less likely to be caught out.

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2015, 6:27 pm

Fnord wrote:
We can lie. With a flat affect and little or no tonal inflection, our lies may sound more like like recitations of facts than do the lies of other people. Also, we may tend to be more careful and vague about the kinds of lies we tell, relying on our own literal interpretation of people's questions, and their non-literal interpretations of what we say to keep us out of trouble. We also may not tend to volunteer any information, especially if it could be used against us.

"Where were you?"
"Having lunch." <Note that the answer addresses the question "What were you doing?", not the question that was asked. Most people eat lunch in the cafeteria, and that's the assumption that I would want the person to make>

Yes, we can lie; but if we volunteer nothing and keep our answers short (natural acts for many aspies), we're less likely to be caught out.

Yup

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2015, 6:31 pm

starfox wrote:
Lol. I'm kidding :) we can lie. Some aspies have trouble with lying because it's false information. Some of us tend to be quite direct when we tell the truth though. For example; 'do I look fat in this dress?' 'Yes, it doesn't flatter you, wear something else'

My answer would be "That dress does not make you look fat." First, it's the truth, especially if she is fat. Second, it addresses the literal meaning of the question she asked. Third, if I follow up with the words, "It's a nice dress", she may feel flattered that I pointed out her good fashion sense.

But if what she was really looking for was an answer like, "Oh, sweetie! You look great no matter what you wear!", then she may feel disappointment instead.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2015, 6:48 pm

WatcherAzazel wrote:
We can lie, yes, but it's usually not the first solution we think of like it is with NTs.

I really like this explanation! It's not the first solution/default / easy go-to like it might be for NTs maybe.

I tend to over-blab the truth as my default instinct in responding to a question, but I'm capable of lying, though usually only to protect myself or my privacy if put on the spot. Even so, it doesn't feel good.

Last edited by BirdInFlight on 17 Jul 2015, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2015, 6:51 pm

If asked a question point-blank without warning, I can't help it. I don't lie. I don't enjoy lying anyway.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2015, 7:05 pm

If asked a question, point-blank, without warning, I can stall for time while I process the ramifications of telling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, knowing that any answer I give may be used against me, or to benefit only the person asking the question.

"How do I calibrate the whatsitron?"
"Let me look up that procedure and get back to you." <I'll give him one of the earlier revisions, so that my job as Chief Calibrator will still be secure>

"How do you operate this device?"
"Very carefully! :lol: Seriously, I had to read the entire manual first ..." <It's common sense to read the manual first; but not always necessary, especially when you are the one who designed the device>

steelysunshine

17 Jul 2015, 7:13 pm

Fnord wrote:

"Where were you?"

OMG that is so me. I literally just verbally walk around the truth. Someone else said if asked point blank they usually blurt out the truth, I do that too if it's something that has absolutely nothing to do with me. If it does then I am furiously trying to figure out if I am in trouble. If so then I start doing that verbal walk around until I figure out how much trouble I was going to get into if I had just blurted out that some rock broke the window.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2015, 7:18 pm

I feel very uncomfortable when lying. I usually do whatever I can to avoid it, including throwing questions back at people, evading the answer, or answering in a vaguely related way.

I try to always find something I like, and I will be very specific about compliments, leaving out the stuff I don't like. That helps me to avoid lying, too, because I will say truthfully that I like the 1% even if I dislike the remaining 99%.

If I am pushed, though, I will be blunt.

This does not mean I never lie. I do sometimes, but I tend to be guilty by omission more than by direct statements of falsehood.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2015, 7:36 pm

I can lie----butcha gotta gimme a couple days notice, to practice----and, even then, I've botched it, cuz it's just not natural; lying takes WORK (arduous processing).

If I'm walking down the street and someone asks me for money, I can easily say "No" (even when I have money), cuz that's a practiced response (I knew the response, beforehand).

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2015, 8:45 pm

Of course. I would say we as a group MIGHT be less inclined to do it and not as convincing.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2015, 8:59 pm

Saying, "Aspies can't lie" is like saying, "Vulcans have no emotions". Both are myths (the second is a myth within a myth), because the subjects in question seem to have a natural affinity for personal privacy and lack of somatic expression.