If you could cure yourself of Asperger's, would you?

Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

If you could cure yourself of Asperger's Syndrome, would you?
Yes 25%  25%  [ 16 ]
No 75%  75%  [ 47 ]
Total votes : 63

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 6:18 am

For myself, I'd have to consider it, but ultimately, I probably would cure myself of it since I often feel like I'm on a different wave length to most other people, and my Autistic awkwardness can make certain situations challenging and embarrassing. Additionally, I feel I'm not a very approachable person, and I'd have to say at least some of that can be attributed to my AS.

So what about you? If you could cure yourself of Asperger's Syndrome, would you? Why/Why not?

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 6:23 am

I would not. Aspergers is not something i have, it is what i am; "curing" it would be akin to suicide.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 6:31 am

izzeme wrote:
I would not. Aspergers is not something i have, it is what i am; "curing" it would be akin to suicide.

Interesting perspective, but I would disagree. It's a part of you, sure, but it doesn't define you as a person. It's still a condition.

You would be different if you didn't have it, but that doesn't necessarily mean you wouldn't still be you.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 7:17 am

Would you want to cure yourself of neurotypicality if you became neurotypical? Probably not, since THEY don't see it as a disease. See; it's all about stigma and THEM. Don't let THEM have power over you, power to make you hate yourself.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 7:27 am

CharityGoodyGrace wrote:
Would you want to cure yourself of neurotypicality if you became neurotypical? Probably not, since THEY don't see it as a disease. See; it's all about stigma and THEM. Don't let THEM have power over you, power to make you hate yourself.

I see where you're coming from, but this isn't about stigma, this is about how I function, and how I'm consequently viewed in life. It's not so much about seeing AS as a disease, but it's hard to dispute that people with AS are inherently different, and thus, are viewed differently. If the rest of the world had Asperger's Syndrome and I was neurotypical, I'm pretty confident that unless being neurotypical gave me an advantage over everyone else, I'd wish I had Asperger's Syndrome. Just the same way that if being morbidly obese was common and attractive, I'd want to be morbidly obese, but it's really not, so I really don't. It's all just pack mentality.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 7:45 am

Now, what would being normal do for me... :

-beautiful wife and kids; probably ends in divorce and for the thing to repeat itself
-awesome job and degree; which takes up all of my time so I can't do as much of the "small" things I like
-"wealthy", so I don't know what it's like to appreciate the "small" things as much

Nah, I'll stay autistic.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 7:55 am

Yes, I would. I don't think such a thing would ever be possible, though. They're more likely going to be able to find a way to prevent people from ever being autistic than to cure those already with it I'd imagine. I'd imagine cures would be risky as it'd probably involve messing around with the brain. If it was risk free I'd want to. I'd like to be able to go places without everything being too loud for me. To be able to talk well when I need to. It'd be very nice.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 8:02 am

iliketrees wrote:
Yes, I would. I don't think such a thing would ever be possible, though. They're more likely going to be able to find a way to prevent people from ever being autistic than to cure those already with it I'd imagine. I'd imagine cures would be risky as it'd probably involve messing around with the brain. If it was risk free I'd want to. I'd like to be able to go places without everything being too loud for me. To be able to talk well when I need to. It'd be very nice.

A cure probably won't ever be viable, but I'm really just asking because I'm curious as to whether people with high-functioning Autism would eradicate their condition if it was possible

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 8:10 am

The Grand Inquisitor wrote:
izzeme wrote:

Interesting perspective, but I would disagree. It's a part of you, sure, but it doesn't define you as a person. It's still a condition.

I do see it as a defining part of me; just like "gay", "transsexual" and "redneck" are things that define a person.

of course, everyone is allowed his/her own opinions, but this is mine

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 8:15 am

Dillogic wrote:
Now, what would being normal do for me... :

-beautiful wife and kids; probably ends in divorce and for the thing to repeat itself
-awesome job and degree; which takes up all of my time so I can't do as much of the "small" things I like
-"wealthy", so I don't know what it's like to appreciate the "small" things as much

Nah, I'll stay autistic.

I voted cure pls, and you don't have to do this as NT and there are more advantages...
but I like your perspective. :)

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 8:25 am

izzeme wrote:
izzeme wrote:

I do see it as a defining part of me; just like "gay", "transsexual" and "redneck" are things that define a person.

Fair point, but if a gay person woke up one day and realised their sexual preference had suddenly changed to the opposite sex, would they be a different person?

Girl_Kitten
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Sep 2015, 8:36 am

izzeme wrote:

You would be different if you didn't have it, but that doesn't necessarily mean you wouldn't still be you.

A cure would likely require physical changes to your brain. We'd likely not be ourselves in the same way that other people with physical alterations of their brains are not themselves anymore.

I would not want to cure my Autism. It might be nice to be able to ride public transportation and eat the foods that everyone else eats, but I'd have to give up my stimming, which is profoundly relaxing and enjoyable to me, and I'd have to give up my strong senses including my ability to differentiate sound and my ability to taste mild tastes. I'd rather just drive and eat my own foods and keep my sensory abilities.

I'd like to be less socially awkward and for socialization and speech to require less concentration. However, I'd have to give up my near-photographic memory, my special interests (like the law), and my Autistic-level concern for what is "fair". I wouldn't have ever gone to law school, so therefore, not only would I not have my career, but I would also not have my husband (who I met in law school) and the three children that resulted from our marriage. I'd much rather have my husband and children and have to work a bit harder to interact with the outside world.

I'll also probably never get dementia, as research suggests that Autistic people do not get dementia due to our greater neuroplasticity. My grandmother died of demetia and Parkinson's, and it was miserable for her and for my family. It hurt my grandfather most when he went to see her in the nursing home for their anniversary and she didn't even know who he was. I'd rather be socially awkward than ever hurt my husband like that.

Yes, some of my Autistic traits make many things more difficult. However, many Autistic traits are assets. My assets make me who I am more than my difficulties, and I like my Autistic assets more than I dislike my Autistic disabilities.

Girl_Kitten

16 Sep 2015, 8:39 am

izzeme wrote:
izzeme wrote:

Fair point, but if a gay person woke up one day and realised their sexual preference had suddenly changed to the opposite sex, would they be a different person?

Many gay people would say "yes," and there is genetic research to suggest that your sexual orientation is in your genes. If your genes changed, you would change.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 8:50 am

Girl_Kitten wrote:
Many gay people would say "yes," and there is genetic research to suggest that your sexual orientation is in your genes. If your genes changed, you would change.

If it was completely genetic it'd never exist, though. I'd like to see this research. Link?

Girl_Kitten wrote:
I'd have to give up my stimming

Why?

Girl_Kitten wrote:
I'd have to give up my near-photographic memory, my special interests (like the law), and my Autistic-level concern for what is "fair". I wouldn't have ever gone to law school

NTs can have photographic memory and deep interests, too. And I'm sure at least 99% of the people at law school are NTs, so I don't see why you wouldn't. Not sure what you mean by "autistic-level concern for what is "fair"", though.

Girl_Kitten wrote:
I'll also probably never get dementia, as research suggests that Autistic people do not get dementia due to our greater neuroplasticity.

Source?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

16 Sep 2015, 8:54 am

Unless you have a time machine you can't cure anything. Would I want to deal half the crap I have to deal with? Hell no but that is my life I guess and I am doomed to suffer. C'est la vie.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 8:56 am

I could care less...

Whether I'm an aspie or not, I'll find ways to navigate in this NT dominated world.

In fact, I'm quite closer to find how to be approachable to NTs at the same time as an aspie/autistic and as myself in the current culture I'm into. So, I don't need to be someone else to fit in, nor lie through my life to gain certain "NT privileges".

In my opinion, the only thing I might gain as an NT is sensory filter and their social instinct, not instant success. Yet I know there are ways around to gain them without becoming NT.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.