can people with autism live independently?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

joshskuxx
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Nov 2015, 9:06 am

can people with autism live independently and have successful lives ( friends, girlfriend,good job,nice house,nice car etc)?
I have aspergers syndrome and I dont see how Im ever going to have a success life. I havent had a proper relationship before and I find it hard to make friends. because of my asd I cant get a job since most jobs require good communication skills. I am probably going to be one of those people that still lives in there parents basement when they are 45. Ill probably never get married,I wont have children and i probably wont be able to get a good job. Ill probably die alone and no one will give a f*ck about me. I hate my life and I hate the fact that my future is ruined and that all my hopes and dreams are ruined. my life is not worth living... :(

donaar
Raven
Raven

29 Nov 2015, 9:12 am

Never fear I'm on the spectrum and live on my own and have a steady job actually 3rd in the chain of command getting hands on training with the manager that wants me to officially become one of the assistant managers

And I was in a stable relationship for 4 years but left him due to his drinking saddly and we have been talking bout getting back together

Life has not been easy but I'm very independent

Though I am on the mild end

Aq: 37

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2015, 9:23 am

We have members here are autistic and who have done all of those things so the answer is yes. But there are caveats. The severity of ones autism is one factor, the type of people the autistic is surrounded by is a big deal do they accept the person or do they view the autistic as diseased burden, ret*d?, and how does the autistic view thier autism? The first cavaet is beyond our control, the second is beyond our control until we are in our late teens then we can control it but it can be quite difficult if we don't have money, the third caveat is totally within our control.

I think trying get all these things may be too much to think about and do at once, so maybe one or two goals at a time is the way to go about it. Also you need to define success not as what everybody else thinks is success is getting what you really want. If you follow those suggestions it will be difficult but you may find yourself in a lot better place then you think possible right now.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 29 Nov 2015, 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2015, 11:23 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
We have members here are autistic and who have done all of those things so the answer is yes. But there are caveats. The severity of ones autism is one factor, the type of people the autistic is surrounded by is a big deal do they accept the person or do they view the autistic as diseased burden, ret*d?, and does how does the autistic view thier autism? The first cavaet is beyond our control, the second is beyond our control until we are in our late teens then we can control it but it can be quite difficult if we don't have money, the third caveat is totally within our control.

I think trying get all these things may be too much to think about and do at once, so maybe one or two goals at a time is the way to go about it. Also you need to define success not as what everybody else thinks is success is getting what you really want. If you follow those suggestions it will be difficult but you may find yourself in a lot better place then you think possible right now.

Excellent observations. Having read their journals, I was amazed at how many of the people that moved West in the USA before the gold rush preferred to be away from society and mentioned what seemed like spectrum symptoms in their trail guides and journals. Likewise for even older letters from people who lived in relative or total seclusion by choice. And the advice to not try to deal with all three at once is well thought out. It takes decades for NT people to find their place in the world, depending on personality, innate and learned skills, and upbringing; why should we be any different?

I think what I'm trying to say is that yes, living independently is possible depending on severity, but don't try to shoehorn yourself into a NT lifestyle and expect a good fit. We're *taught* that blending seamlessly and successfully into mainstream society is the goal and yet it clearly doesn't even fit many of them!

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2015, 4:55 pm

I live independently with help, I have my own apartment and pay my own bills but I live off disability and my parents transport me places as I have no car. I ride the bus too, I would say I function about like a 6 on a scale to 1 to 10. Holding down a job is hard for me cause I have sereve communication problems, I can do the work to a degree but without fail, a few weeks into a new job and co-workers, customers, managers all say I have been rude, crude, threaten, etc. I am genuinely confused as to how I put off that image as I have been disowned from colleges, jobs, churchs, etc for this behavior and whats weird is I always have one or two friends from these places that say I did nothing wrong. I am confused, if I could solve this one problem in my life, I really wouldn't even consider myself disabled. The only thing I can think of, is I must come across as borderline threatening for some people to defend me in these situations.

Either that or I have just had a lot of bad experiences and I have done nothing wrong, which I doubt actually cause if the majority of people perceive you one way, there is probably some truth to it.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2015, 7:17 pm

Many Aspies manage to do very well for themselves and even to raise great families of their own. I can live semi independently but I have never succeeded to live fully independently. My main issue is I can't hold a job. But I can live in the house by myself. I actually prefer that. I am married and love my husband but sometimes his presence can be overwhelming to me. Sometimes I have difficulty with paying bills and stuff and eating and doing chores when I am overwhelmed but I can manage to do them enough to be able to live alone. But I do need financial support.

Wreck It Ralph

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2015, 7:37 pm

Many autistics do live independently, earning their own keep. Many are married and have children. The "Parenting" forum here on WP has a lot of autistic parents, parenting autistic children. Or occasionally autistic parents with NT children, which is generally more confusing.

Others live semi-independently, with help. I'm in this second category. I'm on disability so I can eat and pay for rent, and I have an aide who visits weekly to help with instrumental ADLs (for example shopping, paperwork, that kind of thing). I'm also going to college, because I'm much better at learning academic subjects than you'd expect from my independent-living skills, which are... patchy at best.

Some autistics have live-in help, whether in group homes, on their own with a daily aide, or with family like parents or a spouse. (Yes, spouse. There are severely autistic people who have fallen in love and gotten married; don't be surprised, love isn't limited to NTs.) These people need help with a lot of things, but many of them still make their own decisions.

So... your answer is: It depends on the person; but whatever your level of independence turns out to be, you can end up with a high level of self-determination--that is, making those decisions you are capable of making.

I'd like to point out that your idea of "success" is very much the typical idea of success--money, a hot spouse, kids, a good job, popularity, etc. Do yourself a favor: Challenge that. Yes, that is society's rule about what you are "supposed" to want, but you don't have to obey that rule; in fact, it's not really a rule at all. People are happy in many different kinds of lives, rich or poor, married or single, with all kinds of jobs or none at all.

You should not be trying for the stereotypical "successful life", but for your own ideal existence, your own happiness and fulfilled potential. It is who you are and what you want that determines that, not the rest of the world. If you do end up living with your parents, and you are happy that way--then that can be your ideal existence (but do remind them to plan for what will happen as they age--you will want to hire an aide to do the jobs they may not be able to do when they get older).

The most important parts of life are not the material things. Happiness comes from being able to pursue your goals, from doing things that you feel are important and purposeful. It comes from being able to be yourself. My happiness comes from making blankets for foster children and keeping a database of autistic homicide victims so that no one will forget them; it comes from going to the library and learning new things, from going to the lab and watching a rat learn how long fifteen seconds is. Happiness is a purring cat on my pillow and the quiet of deep night under my weighted blanket. There are always difficulties, but all in all, those things make life worth it.

I am not rich, I do not have a spouse, I do not have a job, but I do have purpose and I make my own decisions. Those are the important things. Do not let the world tell you what you should want.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2015, 7:43 pm

I've earned degrees, held down jobs, got married, raised a family, and except for a very dark time in the late 1980s, I am generally satisfied with my life!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2015, 7:57 pm

I really like what Callista is saying about defining success for yourself and not falling into the trap of trying to live up to the success standards of other people. That is a really excellent point. And Fnord, as an Autistic person you have not only raised a family but your children are beginning to raise their own families as well. That shows that Autistics can do very well in family life as well as academically and in the job world. But each individual, just like for NT's or anyone else, has to know his or her own self and decide if he is able to raise a family or if she can do a traditional job. I know that I cannot raise a family and I have never been able to keep a traditional job. But it really depends on you and what your body and brain can manage.

Wreck It Ralph

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2015, 8:48 pm

dcj123 wrote:
... I can do the work to a degree but without fail, a few weeks into a new job and co-workers, customers, managers all say I have been rude, crude, threaten, etc. I am genuinely confused as to how I put off that image as I have been disowned from colleges, jobs, churchs, etc for this behavior and whats weird is I always have one or two friends from these places that say I did nothing wrong. I am confused, if I could solve this one problem in my life, I really wouldn't even consider myself disabled.

If you want to examine your behavior in this regard, just go over to rightplanet.proboards.com and look at your farewell post. "I am leaving, you guys want anarchy than anarchy is what you will receive, tear one another apart, I don't give a f**k. I did my job and your are all a bunch of ungrateful dumbass pricks. I was objective and you still didn't listen to reason, most of you simple have a problem with authority." You really don't see why people consider that rude and crude? Really?

Savegraduation
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Nov 2015, 10:07 pm

I don't see why not. With Asperger's, the deficits are in social things, not in self-help/independent living skills. In fact, no self-help deficits is a prerequisite for being eiagnosed with Asperger's.

Considering that Aspies are supposed to be extreme systemizers, I'd even say they'd be more skilled than neurotypicals at things like paying the bills, paying taxes, following maps, etc.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2015, 10:22 pm

Savegraduation wrote:
I don't see why not. With Asperger's, the deficits are in social things, not in self-help/independent living skills. In fact, no self-help deficits is a prerequisite for being eiagnosed with Asperger's.

Considering that Aspies are supposed to be extreme systemizers, I'd even say they'd be more skilled than neurotypicals at things like paying the bills, paying taxes, following maps, etc.

Aspies can really suffer from executive functioning deficits. I do. That can impair your abilities to do those kinds of things. Also when you are constantly dealing with sensory overload, I do in the environment I live in, that also impairs your ability to perform certain self-help/independent living skills. With Asperger's the deficits can be in much much more than just social things. And even if self help deficits might not be specifically outlined in the diagnostic criteria, other things are and those things can greatly affect your ability to do the self help things. And not every Aspie is an extreme systemizer in ways that help with day to day functioning.

Wreck It Ralph

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2015, 10:55 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
dcj123 wrote:
... I can do the work to a degree but without fail, a few weeks into a new job and co-workers, customers, managers all say I have been rude, crude, threaten, etc. I am genuinely confused as to how I put off that image as I have been disowned from colleges, jobs, churchs, etc for this behavior and whats weird is I always have one or two friends from these places that say I did nothing wrong. I am confused, if I could solve this one problem in my life, I really wouldn't even consider myself disabled.

If you want to examine your behavior in this regard, just go over to rightplanet.proboards.com and look at your farewell post. "I am leaving, you guys want anarchy than anarchy is what you will receive, tear one another apart, I don't give a f**k. I did my job and your are all a bunch of ungrateful dumbass pricks. I was objective and you still didn't listen to reason, most of you simple have a problem with authority." You really don't see why people consider that rude and crude? Really?

I objectively handled the situation to the best of my ability, the rules were laid out by another user and I enforced them, you do want anarchy. I stand by what I said, you do have a problem with authority and I didn't threaten anyone with that post. Furthermore, you people have accused me of doing something that was not done by my hands. The trolling that took place Autism Social Forum had nothing to do with me, someone else posted under my name and others users. I don't see these other users coming under attack, only me.

I am reporting you to the moderators, I am done with what transpired at Right Planet and Autism Social Forum, your just butt hurt you broke the rules and got banned. I am posting here how autism has effected my life, I will continue to report this personal hatred towards me until you guys cease and desist attacking my character.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2015, 11:58 pm

skibum wrote:
Savegraduation wrote:

Aspies can really suffer from executive functioning deficits. I do. That can impair your abilities to do those kinds of things. Also when you are constantly dealing with sensory overload, I do in the environment I live in, that also impairs your ability to perform certain self-help/independent living skills. With Asperger's the deficits can be in much much more than just social things. And even if self help deficits might not be specifically outlined in the diagnostic criteria, other things are and those things can greatly affect your ability to do the self help things. And not every Aspie is an extreme systemizer in ways that help with day to day functioning.

Aspergers is not only social things only and never has been. That idea is a stereotype. The DSM 5 has a seperate diagnosis for social things only called Social (Pragmatic) Communication Disorder
Quote:
While previous editions of DSM included diagnoses with related symptoms, the SCD diagnosis was needed to ensure that the unique needs of affected individuals are met. For example, while autism spectrum disorder (ASD) does encompass communication problems, it also includes restricted, repeti- tive patterns of behavior, interests or activities and gives equal weight to both communication issues and repetitive behaviors. ASD must be ruled out for SCD to be diagnosed.

The DSM criteria for ASD now includes sensory
Quote:
Hyper- or hyporeactivity to sensory input or unusual interest in sensory aspects of the environment (e.g. apparent indifference to pain/temperature, adverse response to specific sounds or textures, excessive smelling or touching of objects, visual fascination with lights or movement).

I would hope that the DSM adds Executive Fuctioning impairments to the diagnostic criteria for autism and do it soon. Pretty much every expert in Aspergers/Autism I have read mentions executive functioning deficits as common.
https://books.google.com/books?id=qJZmsp3ZVG8C&pg=PA248&lpg=PA248&dq=tony+attwood+executive+functioning&source=bl&ots=lFqyqMxIxo&sig=gzymqJql_D2uOmDPV2kYHNyusrw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiprJe-q7fJAhVD8CYKHXBsBcIQ6AEIKjAF#v=onepage&q=tony%20attwood%20executive%20functioning&f=false

EXECUTIVE FUNCTIONING IN ASPERGER‘S DISORDER AND NONVERBAL LEARNING DISABILITIES: A COMPARISON OF DEVELOPMENTAL AND BEHAVIORAL CHARACTERISTICS - Duquesne University

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 12:31 am

Yes, I think a great many people whom are on the spectrum have the capability to live independently. as it's a matter of how well your able to not only navigate the social difficulties but, manage to overcome the many other obstacles. Personally I have been on my own for 24 years though I,ve not had the so-called dream job or have been married nor had any long term relationship. Still I keep trying regardless.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 12:39 am

Like Vegas, what happens on RightPlanet can stay in RightPlanet. Please don't continue that website's conflict here at any time, it is not appropriate.

B19 (in mod mode)