Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

BeauZa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Feb 2016, 1:20 am

About two years ago, I made some fundamental changes to my life: started an online course in IT, took up the GFCF diet, and began to remodel my beliefs as a new Christian. I became depressed but stuck it out for several months, believing that I simply needed time to adjust. It never really got better, and through determination I moved to undo those changes and return to my old life. I lived out 2015 with a complete lack of expectations and a willingness to allow myself to go on my own way.

Fast forward to Christmas, where I began to feel overwhelmed with the idea of my future lying ahead of me; I knew I would have to seek a new direction and a new outlook if I wanted to set myself up for a manageable adulthood, but needless to say the experience of depression coming about as a result of change in my life fills me with doubt even now.

And so to you I turn, friendly WrongPlanet user: I want to know of the major changes you have made in your life, and of the strategies that you implemented in order to adjust to them comfortably. I understand that each Aspie is unique, and thus your answer will be considered as inspiration. Don't be afraid to share your truth.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2016, 7:35 am

You should change elements of your life without changing the essense if you. I have never found change comfortable but sometimes it has made my life better.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2016, 6:46 pm

BeauZa wrote:
About two years ago, I made some fundamental changes to my life: started an online course in IT, took up the GFCF diet, and began to remodel my beliefs as a new Christian.

Maybe you can try "adding" instead of "changing".

For example, try adding some kind of GFCF-approved food to some of your meals. Treat it like an experiment to find out:
* foods you hate
* foods you do not like
* foods you can add to your base diet
* foods you can keep as a special treat
You do not need to push yourself to adhere strictly to the diet RIGHT NOW. You do not need to push yourself to eat foods that you do not like. You do not need to forbid yourself foods you love. Just eating some healthy, tasty foods a little more often will be a great start.

Keep your current life as it is, and your expectations as they are, just experiment.

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2016, 12:46 am

I changed my diet when I heard somebody who was disgustingly fit tell me "nothing tastes as good as good health and fitness feels and looks." so I got a severe case of body and brain envy, and I made up my mind, "daggone it! I can do this also!" so I did. a good case of envy is a terrific motivator, I have found.