Now that there is no triple crown winner this year....

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

TheWhale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 May 2005, 3:22 pm

It will be at least 28 years since Affirmed won in 1978 and that only if we get a triple crown winner next year. This is an interesting thing I share with my alter-ego, Josh Hartnett. We were both born in the year that a horse won the triple crown. Citation won in my birthyear, 1948 and I was almost twenty five before Secretariat won in 1973. Josh was born in 1978 and still has yet to see one.

My middle brother, Jim, is a Kentucky Colonel, as a result of a couple of movies he filmed there. We hope to see the Derby together next year.

Now, here is a tip for anyone who doesn't care to read the form and just wants to lose a minimum amount of money and maybe even make a little, just reading the tote board...

1. Bet to place and show on the following situations...

a. Horse's odds to win are ten to one or less
b. Horse's portion of the place or show pool is less than his portion of the win pool, preferable half as much or less.
c. Don't bet in any race in which one horse is even money or lower as a favorite, unless you have a real reason to think he won't finish in the money.

I have found that if you only bet on the shorter priced horses, with no regard for handicapping, you reduce your losses from 15%, the track take, to ten percent or less. Most longshots are even worse than their odds indicate. They get bet down because some people just like to bet them no matter how bad they are. This is based on looking at results from thousands of races. The pattern is universal for all types of horse racing.

But if you bet place and show on short-priced horses that are bet "top heavy" ( their backers are betting on the win end a lot more than usual ) you can actually make a little money with no handicapping.

Giacomo was a horse like this last race. His portion of the show pool was about 9.8%. His portion of the win pool was 14%. I like that pattern because it shows a lot of confidence in the horse winning, as opposed to those who aren't sure and back it up with place and show bets.

The profit is obviously not a lot since I have a day job :) but this is a fun way to bet. Through in a little handicapping and who knows?

Jerry Newport

Feste-Fenris
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2005, 5:54 pm

I read your book: Your life is not a label, Jerry...

Very good read... recommended it to my Mom... she liked it...

TheWhale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 May 2005, 9:16 am

Feste-Fenris wrote:
I read your book: Your life is not a label, Jerry...

Very good read... recommended it to my Mom... she liked it...

Nice of you to say that but it didn't include any gambling tips. I don't reccommend that at all unless you have money to wager that you don't need for any other purpose. I know people who make money on the horses and other gambling activities but all of them do it as a part-time hobby and don't even need the money. It is a lot easier to gamble with a clear head if your next month's rent is not riding on your bets!!

Jerry