Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Rakkety_Tamm
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2005, 4:02 pm

This week is the longest distance race in Stock Car Racing, the Coca Cola 600 at the Lowes Motor Speedway in Charolette North Carolina!! !! !

Wisguy
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2005, 9:51 pm

Rakkety_Tamm wrote:
This week is the longest distance race in Stock Car Racing, the Coca Cola 600 at the Lowes Motor Speedway in Charolette North Carolina!! !! !

Not really directly related to this race, but I sometimes wonder how things would change in stock car racing if NASCAR would adopt Formula 1's new-for-this-season tire rule. :?:

For those not aware, with a couple of exceptions, F1 now requires that each car use the SAME SET of tires through qualifying and the entire race. (The standard F1 race length is the first lap completed after 306 km.) The exceptions are 1) ONE tire may be changed during a race, if it goes flat, shreds, etc, and 2) if it starts raining, teams may change to rain treads, but MUST put the old tires back on the car when the track dries out. No more soft/sticky tires that must be changed at every pit stop.

The big things that I like about this new rule is that it more closely matches driving in the 'real world' (ie, keeping the same tires on the car over an entire long-distance roadtrip, but allowing a spare) and that the tires' harder-compound rubber surface puts more of a premium on driver skill.

Any thoughts?

Mike

strange_wraith
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 May 2005, 11:17 pm

What a waste of precious, expensive gasoline. We need it to fuel our over-sized SUVs! (Even though they're not selling so well anymore)

"It's all right Ma, I'm only sighing"

Rakkety_Tamm
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2005, 11:11 am

The F1 tires are obvouisly much more durrable than the NASCAR races, I think that rule would kill NASCAR. The most exciteing part of the race are the 13-14 second pit stops where all four tires are changed, 22 gallons of gasoline are poured into a thirsty beast with over 500 horses under the hood, where one split-second decsion in the pits can be the diffrence between 1st and 21st place on the track.