Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 5:39 pm

I try to aviod them if I can. I'm glad that it's not the 1800s, when the women had to keep the social order of the household.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 5:46 pm

Yes... it is for this reason, I guess, that I have not been to the dentist in a year + even though I need a tooth out as it has partially crumbled. I put off most essentials that might involve making phone calls or talking to someone. It can be a real issue.

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 5:54 pm

I'm bad - I'll go through a drive through to lessen the interaction. I hate buying clothing in stores were people come and keep asking you if you need help with something.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 5:56 pm

is the pope a catholic?

yes. i avoid socially heavy stuff. unfortunately, i have moved to a highly social small town, a consequence of which is i've got heaps of friends and i don't even know how it happened.

not sure i want this much social life (have to tell people i'm not THAT social), but eh social networks are very helpful.

when i went to the library yesterday (a nearby branch i hadn't used before) i noticed they have a self-scanner where you can check out your own material. i was the only person using it! everyone else wanted the social aspects of being served by another human being.

Last edited by Postperson on 04 May 2007, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 5:56 pm

janicka wrote:
I'm bad - I'll go through a drive through to lessen the interaction. I hate buying clothing in stores were people come and keep asking you if you need help with something.

I HATE that. I am afraid that regardless of the fact they are 'only doing their job', I either blank them or tell them sharply that no, I don't need any help. I am usually in my own world when I am out and about and hate being shocked out of it by some human voice.

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 6:07 pm

I don't shop in stores that have pushy sales people. I lost a job in a maternity clothing store because I refused to actively confront customers. I told them if they needed help to just call me. Not good enough! :)

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 6:22 pm

Avoid? I think I mentioned I'm sort of a hermit. Yeah you could say I avoid the outside and be correct. Obsessive about it, is closer. I guess I'd actually have to go out, to know if it's getting worse or better :wink:

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 May 2007, 9:40 pm

I can relate to most of the posts here. I, too get days of being "out of Kilter." I have found that if I try to go shopping, I will wander up and down aisles, and come away with either nothing, or a weird assortment of things. I thought that a list would help, but I have still forgotten things on it. I just realized that my favorite supermarket, (favorite because it carries bulk and organic) is also my least favorite, because its always crowded, the aisles are narrow, and people are constantly doing confusing things like trying to make direct eye contact and smile, or standing in the middle of the aisle talking on their mobile phone, etc.

I used to go to this one post office, and it was like running a gauntlet. Since it was located in the same building as the county courthouse, you had to put any bag you were carrying on a conveyor belt to go through a machine, (in case you were going to gun the place down). And the old men who run this machine, sit there staring at you like a bunch of crocodiles, with insincere smiles and penetrating stares. I usually felt on the verge of tears by the time I was allowed to enter the post office. Once, they made me run a stack of library books through!

Eclair
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 9:52 pm

I can cope with social occasions like drinks after work...probably because there is alcohol involved, I can deal with it. However, I cannot deal talking with people I have no respect for...it's like having a loaded gun put at my head.

People are under the impression sometimes that I am an extrovert, but I think it's possibly because I say what's on my mind, often without thought to the consequences...the NT's interpret that as 'being out there' and ready for combat.

If I have to make an effort to do something, like a social thing on the weekend where I have to make an effort, you are at someone's house, it's a bit of a stretch for me.

Shopping centres just fill me with disdain.

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 10:13 pm

I think I just decided I need to get out more often - the funniest thing happenned to me at the state liquor store today.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... ic&t=32521

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 11:33 pm

blessedmom wrote:
I don't go shopping alone because I tend to talk to myself when I get nervous, which is as soon as I leave my car. If I take someone with it looks like I'm talking to them. .

I have this one taken care of! I have a cell phone, a TracPhone that cost me $20.00 USD and I don't even turn it on, I just chatter my nervousness into the phone and no one bothers me or gives me looks. I talk alot to my dead grandmother. I don't remember her much at all but she is a good listener. . .

Merle

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 11:41 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I try to aviod them if I can. I'm glad that it's not the 1800s, when the women had to keep the social order of the household.

huh? I have to keep EVERTHING in the household! If I don't do it, (dishes, cook, clean, grocery shop, take the car to the garage, pay bills, work to make money to pay the bills) It just doesn't get done

and it isn't because I am a woman, it is because I am all there is!

Merle

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 May 2007, 1:53 am

sinsboldly wrote:
blessedmom wrote:
I don't go shopping alone because I tend to talk to myself when I get nervous, which is as soon as I leave my car. If I take someone with it looks like I'm talking to them. .

I have this one taken care of! I have a cell phone, a TracPhone that cost me $20.00 USD and I don't even turn it on, I just chatter my nervousness into the phone and no one bothers me or gives me looks. I talk alot to my dead grandmother. I don't remember her much at all but she is a good listener. . .

Merle

Wow, I thought I was the only one talking to myself on a turned off cell phone! It sure comes in handy when you don't want to have your train of thought derailed by some socially needy person trying to strike up a conversation.

Rjaye
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 2:50 am

I hate going out as well, but I've made it into a challenge. Because I'm in classes, that means I have to do things during times I normally wouldn't, times where there are a lot more people around and more cars and more noise...

It's like a marathon. First here, then here, then here, and, of course, there's always some snafu somewhere along the way that makes it so much more worse. I can barely stand the barrage of moving images and sounds and smell of the traffic or machines or whatever, but I have to do it. I'm hoping I will at least become partly desensitized to the distractions, but at the end of all the chaos, I go home, drop the bags and purse on the floor next to the chair, and collapse. I either channelsurf continuously (something about the buttons), or I crawl into bed, and zone for a couple of hours.

The one thing people have noticed and hate when they are riding with me is that I notice everything around me. Part of it's the anxiety. I see things they would never have caught. The hawk swooping in the air. The bunny under a bush. The guy on the far corner picking his nose. My comments are like a random, jittery stand up. See that, see that, what the hell, lookitthat...

Rjaye

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 11:48 am

I loathe having to shop. I try to avoid interaction as much as possible like using the self check aisles. I avoid going into the bank unless absolutely necessary and use the ATM. Having direct deposit from work helps avoid having weekly interactions at the bank. I've had car trouble over the past few months and that has really put me over the edge with having to deal with lying jerks at the garage several times over! Plus the recent incident with Nutbag and I being harassed by the police for sitting at the lake watching the stars didn't help. I guess I have a good job for an Aspie. Well it wasn't originally that great as I used to have to speak on the phone 8 hrs a day which I don't know how I ever survived. I transferred to a data entry type position where we can listen to our iPods the whole time and drown out our surroundings. The only problem is I have several guys that like me so they have to stop by and say hi constantly. There are two guys that want to say hi at least 5 times a day and another guy that purposely walks by as often as he can find a reason to just so he can stare at me. I hate this kind of "interaction" with people where I can't escape since its my job to be there.

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 12:31 pm

i dont mind mixing with others if it is in an official capacity. Errands and so forth are no problem. If conversation has to progress beyond "so how are you then?", then people may start to suspect that i am weird or something. :?