Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CryingTears15
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jul 2016, 9:22 am

To be brief: I am thoroughly disappointed with "Autistic" characters in media. Characters that attempt to capitalize off of us, Sherlock, Sheldon, even Abed, (though he isn't so bad), and now Elliot, leave a sour taste in my mouth due to exactly what is being portrayed.

If they supposedly give us someone to identify with, I do not see how I can. For example, Mr. Robot's Elliot Alderson. Asperger's? Maybe. He has the issues with eye contact, social deficits, and awkward presentation.

But wait. What does the diagnostic criteria for Asperger's say? Does he have strict routines, heightened senses, stims? These last two things are very important to me. Being tired at home is Hell for me because even people's voices grate on me. And my stims were so odd, parents have kept their children from going near me, and kids have yelled "ret*d" in my face.

I asked my mom why these "Autistic" characters don't have stims or sensory issues, and she responded, "because it's annoying."

So these characters come with, at the very least, one rigid type of Asperger's, not to actually give many of us representation, but to be theatrical, dramatic. If people find it annoying, they should have it; then NTs will have to accept us, instead of loving the "cute" and "quirky" "Autistic" characters in media.

Finally, they all have the same personality, too. Highly intelligent, hyper-logical, good at STEM kinds of guys. Yes, many of us are like that. But many aren't. Those Aspies with average or low average intellect, artistic interests, and love of people, perhaps as an interest, have no representation. These caricatures are meant to serve NTs and NTs only.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 10:23 am

The charactors are not written to have Autistics identify with. They are written to entertain the masses, 98 percent of whom are not autistic. Because the words autism, aspergers, autistic are scary to a lot of people most of these charactors are not described as autistic.

If people are uncomfortable with a charactor en mass, they will watch something else, the network will lose money and the show will be canceled.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CryingTears15
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jul 2016, 10:45 am

I suppose there cannot be shows geared towards Autistics?

There are aspects of many shows I am uncomfortable with, yet I still watch the shows.

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 12:13 pm

CryingTears15 wrote:
I suppose there cannot be shows geared towards Autistics?

There are aspects of many shows I am uncomfortable with, yet I still watch the shows.

There could potentially be shows created that are geared toward autistics. Odds are they would likely end up being made by some non-mainstream company. At least initially. They would probably be delivered through the internet, given the limited channel space of television. ALso would likely need significant input from or even production by autistic people.

CryingTears15
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jul 2016, 8:22 pm

TV is coming to that nowadays... All I need is two or three different, original characters who deal with things like stimming, sensory issues, reciprocity, etc.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2016, 8:08 am

I feel the same, but not for TV characters, rather for the characters I've seen in movies that are supposed to be about aspie characters. I wasn't that impressed by "Adam" or "Mozart and the Whale." I feel that most portrayals seem like cartoonish ones consisting of every most obvious trait intensified even when supposedly "high functioning."

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2016, 8:28 am

You would like a show called "Monk." He's not autistic; he's supposed to have OCD; but he stims sometimes, and seems "weird" at other times. You might identify with him somewhat should you watch him. He's also a very good and smart detective.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2016, 5:56 pm

I think Goren from Law and Order Criminal Intent is autistic and I just love him. Have you seen that show? I also like Spencer Reid from Criminal Minds.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

amdedinboro
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Jul 2016, 8:27 pm

I've thought about this as well. Not that I necessarily dislike a lot of the autistic or supposedly autistic characters I've seen (Lisbeth Salander from the Millennium series is said a couple of times to have Asperger's, and I think she's great haha.) But I don't think there are a lot of real, down to earth and relatable autistic characters out there, at least not in popular media.

I've also been noticing a lot of "autism as a superpower" sorts of archetypes, where characters tend toward extreme social awkwardness, but then they end up being geniuses and doing great things, so it all supposedly balances out. "The Imitation Game" was a good example of that for me. On one hand, as someone with Asperger's it can be inspiring to see portrayals of people with autism achieving great things. Yet at the same time these portrayals really only capture rare and extreme ends of the spectrum, so it can feel to me like it's sending the message that people with autism only have worth based on what they can contribute to society (Not to mention, Alan Turing, the subject of the film, wasn't ever even properly diagnosed as having Asperger's as he's portrayed, so it's like they tried to shoehorn that entire aspect of his character into the movie as some sort of inspiring message.)

So yeah, that's my longwinded way of saying I mostly agree with you XD

Last edited by amdedinboro on 15 Jul 2016, 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2016, 8:36 pm

CryingTears15 wrote:
To be brief: I am thoroughly disappointed with "Autistic" characters in media. Characters that attempt to capitalize off of us, Sherlock, Sheldon, even Abed, (though he isn't so bad), and now Elliot, leave a sour taste in my mouth due to exactly what is being portrayed.

If they supposedly give us someone to identify with, I do not see how I can. For example, Mr. Robot's Elliot Alderson. Asperger's? Maybe. He has the issues with eye contact, social deficits, and awkward presentation.

But wait. What does the diagnostic criteria for Asperger's say? Does he have strict routines, heightened senses, stims? These last two things are very important to me. Being tired at home is Hell for me because even people's voices grate on me. And my stims were so odd, parents have kept their children from going near me, and kids have yelled "ret*d" in my face.

I asked my mom why these "Autistic" characters don't have stims or sensory issues, and she responded, "because it's annoying."

So these characters come with, at the very least, one rigid type of Asperger's, not to actually give many of us representation, but to be theatrical, dramatic. If people find it annoying, they should have it; then NTs will have to accept us, instead of loving the "cute" and "quirky" "Autistic" characters in media.

Finally, they all have the same personality, too. Highly intelligent, hyper-logical, good at STEM kinds of guys. Yes, many of us are like that. But many aren't. Those Aspies with average or low average intellect, artistic interests, and love of people, perhaps as an interest, have no representation. These caricatures are meant to serve NTs and NTs only.

The character of Elliot from Mr. Robot is has schizoaffective disorder, not autism. I'm pretty sure that's stated explicitly in like the first episode of the show.

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)

CryingTears15
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jul 2016, 9:30 pm

He's not officially stated to, it's fan speculation. :roll:

Like I said, Abed's not that bad imo, but it still seems like the screenwriters and whatnot are taking the "coolest" symptoms of Asperger's, theatrical, but not "annoying" things, and leaving out stims and sensory issues, at least one of which most of us, if I'm not mistaken, have to deal with.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2016, 9:54 pm

CryingTears15 wrote:
He's not officially stated to, it's fan speculation. :roll:

Like I said, Abed's not that bad imo, but it still seems like the screenwriters and whatnot are taking the "coolest" symptoms of Asperger's, theatrical, but not "annoying" things, and leaving out stims and sensory issues, at least one of which most of us, if I'm not mistaken, have to deal with.

He has delusions though, so he much closer fits a diagnosis of schizoaffective (because he seems depressed too, and has anxiety) disorder or schizotypal personality disorder than autism. I'm pretty sure he calls himself schizoid at one point in his voice over narration.

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)

Last edited by wilburforce on 15 Jul 2016, 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2016, 9:55 pm

Also, there was no need to roll your eyes at me. That was kind of rude.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2016, 10:48 pm

amdedinboro wrote:
I've thought about this as well. Not that I necessarily dislike a lot of the autistic or supposedly autistic characters I've seen (Lisbeth Salander from the Millennium series is said a couple of times to have Asperger's, and I think she's great haha.) But I don't think there are a lot of real, down to earth and relatable autistic characters out there, at least not in popular media.

If you liked Lisbeth, you might like The Bridge (Bron/Broen http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1733785/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1), the original Danish series, NOT the remake. The main character was for me the only one I felt as "true" and not exploitative, and they make a point to also show her struggles and the way other people shun or misunderstand her as well as how hard it is for her to understand and reach to others.

amdedinboro

15 Jul 2016, 11:46 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
amdedinboro wrote:

If you liked Lisbeth, you might like The Bridge (Bron/Broen http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1733785/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1), the original Danish series, NOT the remake. The main character was for me the only one I felt as "true" and not exploitative, and they make a point to also show her struggles and the way other people shun or misunderstand her as well as how hard it is for her to understand and reach to others.

Thanks for the recommendation :) I may have to check that out.

Lisbeth to me didn't fit the role of a perfectly realistic representation, so much as she was a generally interesting character who just happened to have Aspergian traits. And I think that's pretty valuable as well, showing a character that's more than just a diagnosis personified.

amdedinboro

16 Jul 2016, 12:06 am

CryingTears15 wrote:
but it still seems like the screenwriters and whatnot are taking the "coolest" symptoms of Asperger's, theatrical, but not "annoying" things, and leaving out stims and sensory issues, at least one of which most of us, if I'm not mistaken, have to deal with.

That's a great way to put it.

I saw someone mention Monk earlier in the discussion, and for the longest time that was probably the show I related to the most with regards to mental illness/disorders. I know officially his thing was being obsessive compulsive, but there was a lot depicted in the show that I could easily relate to living with Aspergers as well. It did have the "cool symptom" component of his detective work, but to me it was always balanced well with the little, awkward, and even humorous"ticks" of his disorder, as well as the more severe (and honestly sometimes heartbreaking) effects his obsessive personality could have on his life. Lots of stuff in that show got to me on a personal level growing up.