Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 12:02 pm

I need to keep it because it's the only way to keep contact with some people that are important for me and also I like some pages and it's easy to contact people from university there

but it makes me see a side of people I don't want to, many people I used to find nice and interesting post too much stupid stuff like obviously fake news or just stupidity, it annoys me so much. I actually deleted my account once, but after half year I created a new one for the afore mentioned reasons

Do you also experience this kind of disappointment with people you met offline when you met them online??

Ignotum
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Apr 2017, 12:43 pm

Totally. I think this whole new wave of social media with sites like facebook, twitter, snapchat, and others stimulate pettiness and repetition over slow, rational thought. So don't despair if you feel disappointed with people on social media, in fact, I'd say disappointment is the best most logical reaction!

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 12:52 pm

yes, i can't stand facebook.
i keep it for events and old friends.

some level of anonymous forums are where its AT lol.

i'm always prepared to be disappointed by people,
but facebook throws it up in my face.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 1:00 pm

seaweed wrote:

+1

Ignotum
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Apr 2017, 1:04 pm

seaweed wrote:
yes, i can't stand facebook.
i keep it for events and old friends.

some level of anonymous forums are where its AT lol.

Agreed! Forums like this one are in my opinion quite superior. Comparing WP to say facebook or twitter is like comparing a thoughtful, caring discussion among friends to a bunch of monkeys throwing crap around at each other. Ok, perhaps that was a bit hyperbolic, but you get my point.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 1:33 pm

I also think forums are way better – the facebook groups could be something similar, but they don't receive enough attention, I think. a few years ago, the most popular social media website in brazil (where I live) used to be orkut – it was owned by google, but I think it wasn't very popular world-wide – I really liked it, it was really focused on the communities, so basically you had your profile, and you could put your info and photos and add your friends, more or less like facebook, but you weren't overwhelmed by a feed page, the "action" was more concentrated in the communities, which are like forums, it was much cooler, I don't know why people changed it for facebook.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 1:35 pm

Ignotum wrote:
Agreed! Forums like this one are in my opinion quite superior. Comparing WP to say facebook or twitter is like comparing a thoughtful, caring discussion among friends to a bunch of monkeys throwing crap around at each other. Ok, perhaps that was a bit hyperbolic, but you get my point.

according to some, forums like these are dying.
i hope if that's true there will be a resurgence.

Ignotum
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Apr 2017, 1:36 pm

ltcvnzl wrote:
I also think forums are way better – the facebook groups could be something similar, but they don't receive enough attention, I think. a few years ago, the most popular social media website in brazil (where I live) used to be orkut – it was owned by google, but I think it wasn't very popular world-wide – I really liked it, it was really focused on the communities, so basically you had your profile, and you could put your info and photos and add your friends, more or less like facebook, but you weren't overwhelmed by a feed page, the "action" was more concentrated in the communities, which are like forums, it was much cooler, I don't know why people changed it for facebook.

Sounds like an interesting mix between the normal facebook and something like reddit. Anyways, I kind of fear that forums like this are unfortunately losing tons of mainstream popularity, which kinda sucks in my opinion.

Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 2:45 pm

i tend to ignore a lot of it. the two hardest people to deal with are the friends who very clearly want attention, posting multiple times a day, being vague and stupid so people can tell them they're pretty or whatever. the second are the ones who post completely far fetched conspiracy theories.. it's funny how they act like they're smarter than us and above us because they clearly know the truth about the government from some dumb facebook page.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 4:17 pm

My aunt's a terrible menace on that site, I just made sure to unfollow her posts, etc... but it does show you a different side nonetheless. My older sister is also a little annoying for me on there as she seems to recently have taken to posting cat videos up on my page which I'm actually not ok with. :D

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 8:59 pm

FaceBook does not make me hate people.

long before facebook got invented, i hated people. facebook just helped.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 9:10 pm

So many days the posts on my page are Grandchildren, Pets, Vacation Pics, and a whole host of other shallow nonsense. Its pathetic, I see many of the same hoaxes over and over. I always post the Snopes page to show people that the post is false, but I know Snopes itself sometimes bends its own rules. Then theres the abused children and animals pictures that almost make me throw up. And oh yes, not to forget the network marketing posts where people put up pictures of the product and tell how they were physical wrecks before they took blah...blah...blah....

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 10:48 pm

simply posting about life stuff like grandchildren and pets and vacations is the purest way to use facebook imo.

but there comes a line.

last time i went scrolling (feels like being that brave stupid guy in a horror movie who just has to find out what's in the basement..) a couple posted pictures of their child eating sand...and it was not fine sand either, no, it had a similar roughness to aquarium gravel. why are you idiots taking pictures of your child eating handfuls of small rocks instead of making your child stop. what is wrong with you people.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 11:10 pm

seaweed wrote:
simply posting about life stuff like grandchildren and pets and vacations is the purest way to use facebook imo.

but there comes a line.

last time i went scrolling (feels like being that brave stupid guy in a horror movie who just has to find out what's in the basement..) a couple posted pictures of their child eating sand...and it was not fine sand either, no, it had a similar roughness to aquarium gravel. why are you idiots taking pictures of your child eating handfuls of small rocks instead of making your child stop. what is wrong with you people.

it just remind me that once I told a friend that I had put my kitchen on fire and he asked me if I had took photos... I mean, my apartment is burning and of course I'm going to think about snapping some photos.

But looking on what people share, it wouldn't be a surprise. My old neighbor always post pictures of her or her sons in the hospital, like taking medications or something like this.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2017, 8:16 am

It is disappointing when you see bigotry or meanness from people you have known a long time and are very kind and giving in person.

People who just post silly videos do not bother me.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2017, 8:40 am

It almost seems that Facebook causing people to hate others was the desired intent the whole time, huh?

Now, if that presumption is true, what does that tell us?

Wrong Planet is the ONLY social media I use (and even that has some moments of concern). When family and friends tell me that they get so tired of Facebook or other media, I remind them that they can turn off their accounts immediately without charge.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)