Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 3:14 am

gwenevyn wrote:
:( Once I had an eight hour panic attack over imagining I might have offended my boss (I hadn't). Luckily I can do this without any outward sign anymore. It just feels scary and awful.

Panic, or offend your boss?

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 3:16 am

This is pretty much the core of my social problems. I don't know how to react, and I don't want to offend so I am very cautious and don't do anything. I overly concern myself with how I am going to phrase what I am going to say.

If I actually want to offend I just close up and I don't interact with anyone... but I barely even register a response. But I have to be pretty upset for this to happen... it is very rare.

I made an astute observation at an early age... that people react to me based on how I react to them. I used to always just say what is on the top of my head random crazy things (like kids often do), I was deemed pretty obnoxous by my peers. I made an observation that the reason I was being ridiclued and left out was that I was saying such stupid things... so after that I made it a point to always think before speaking... and never speak unless I have something important to say.

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

05 Jun 2007, 3:19 am

Well, both. Sort of.

I've never had a boss mad at me, except the one who was dishonest and unethical, so I didn't care what she thought of me. So the whole panic thing was really rather unreasonable on my part. It's like believing the boogyman is gonna get me.

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 4:48 am

I'm always tripping over my words, I'm often bold, frank and blunt with people I know and feel comfortable with. Bring on the strangers and I seem to turn into a bottom kisser to avoid any kind of confrontation/anxiety in my body. People pleasing and overt generosity has been my way of dealing with people and its only brought me strife and a lack of respect cos they just walk all over me. I avoid people these days its just too overwhelming.

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 4:54 am

poopylungstuffing wrote:
i have had occasions of exreme parinoia about having offended people....(will try to be more articulate than that later)

Yeah i have those.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 5:14 am

gwenevyn wrote:
Well, both. Sort of.

I've never had a boss mad at me, except the one who was dishonest and unethical, so I didn't care what she thought of me. So the whole panic thing was really rather unreasonable on my part. It's like believing the boogyman is gonna get me.

I suppose that I can see panic without outward signs,
but what do you mean by giving offense without? That
you don't show any emotion, or that it's too subtle for
them to see?

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

05 Jun 2007, 9:13 am

I think I meant I was afraid of having offended even though the person didn't act like I had?

But it was the wee hours, so I'm not altogether sure what I meant. :lol:

willow
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 9:16 am

richardbenson wrote:
im never really afraid of offending anyone. i pretty mcuh say whatever i think

/signed

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 9:28 am

I don't care about offending people for the most part. Selfish, but true.