Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

GuyInABlackSuit
Raven
Raven

17 Jun 2018, 8:03 pm

So far I applied to four places: the local amusement park where I live, AMC Theaters, Sheetz (a convenience store), and Arby's.
Oops, better make that five, cos I applied for a job at Martin's.

I applied for Delgrosso's (the amusement park) in February, and they have not called me back at all. At this point, I don't even care.
I applied for AMC Theaters but they turned down my application.
I applied for a job at Sheetz and they haven't said jack, nor have I attempted to call.
I applied for a job at Martin's and they have not called me back at all.
I also applied for a job at Arby's, and it has been nearly a week, and they haven't called me yet.

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2018, 11:37 pm

Depending on where you live, those jobs due to the economy are currently being taken by people balancing college and work. They used to be teenage jobs and in some places they still might be. But, that may be a reason.

WAautisticguy
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jun 2018, 7:13 pm

It's been awful lately and today it was the worst day I've ever had for rejections.

My experience: substitute paraeducator, current college student going for an elementary ed. major, have been in leadership projects in HS and volunteered for two years in a row as a junior and senior, 2x a week, at my local elementary school helping kids.

Today I had 4 rejections all for paraeducator positions - two were at the same elementary school!! ! :(
I was a substitute para last year and was able to get many different jobs, but I was fired from one district because of false accusations from a student that I told him he was 'disgusting.' I fought that for weeks on end and they didn't budge or reverse their decision.
Non-school jobs I've been rejected from:
A bowling alley cashier/front desk job, where I would have given out bowling shoes and run cash registers. Handed my resume to them on a Monday, they filled it with someone else by Friday. :( :(
An ARCADE! Seriously?! 16-year-olds work here...but for a 20-year-old college student who needs the money badly, REJECTED.
A YMCA summer camp, and yes they have employees in the 17-18 year old range along with older. REJECTED from both counselor positions I applied for. I worked very hard on getting that job and had to do a project to prove that I was a good candidate - which I edited several times. My interview was good, but then on a Sunday morning YMCA came back to me and rejected me, 'you're not a good fit.' :x
A couple of office jobs...one working at Jostens which does the caps and gowns for high school/colleges. REJECTED.
along with stocking, call center and even a UPS job in the past couple years.
I do not have a Food Handler's Card yet, so fast food is off the list for now.

Looks like I'll have to try Goodwill - they need a Donation Attendant. And if not, it's time to go beg for work at Worksource or DVR. I'm so upset right now! :x

WAautisticguy
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jul 2018, 12:55 pm

OK - how can this be. Rejected from Goodwill now! They needed a Donation Attendant at their local Yakima store and they didn't want me to work there. Unfriggin'believable.
I have a DVR appointment on July 9th and maybe someone will give me a chance. But I'm hoping it's not picking apples in 100F heat, or throwing 2x4's into a dumpster on a construction site... :x

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2018, 8:30 pm

WAautisticguy wrote:
OK - how can this be. Rejected from Goodwill now! They needed a Donation Attendant at their local Yakima store and they didn't want me to work there. Unfriggin'believable.
I have a DVR appointment on July 9th and maybe someone will give me a chance. But I'm hoping it's not picking apples in 100F heat, or throwing 2x4's into a dumpster on a construction site... :x

Looking at your education and the jobs you applied to....

Have you considered aiming to be a freelance tutor?

It looks like you have all of the required experience for it.

Personally, I'd suggest looking online for ways to become a tutor and seeing if you can get that going.

The places that are rejecting you may be doing so because you seem over qualified for them, plus to them it might seem like you will when you land a teaching position.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2018, 8:41 pm

After college I applied for a position to 200 companies in person and sent out another 300 resumes. All to no avail. Then almost by accident I obtained a job and worked for almost 40 years and then retired. Sometimes you just need to try and try and try again. In my case, the lack of success was due to a major recession. If I tried to other regions of the country, I believe I could have found employment much sooner.

WAautisticguy
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jul 2018, 1:24 pm

No on the tutoring, because I'm absolutely awful when it comes to math past about middle school-level. And even then, volunteering in the schools, middle school math has changed so much since Common Core was put in, that I practically had to relearn most of the content that I learned as a 6th grader.

I had one interview on Wednesday for a parapro position in a school district about 10 miles away - helping students in a middle school with Language Arts. 5 hours later I get a rejection notice over the phone. I have been rejected from 8 of 9 paraeducator positions that I have applied for. The 9th position is at an elementary school in the same district and I'm sure the result will be the same.
This morning, I called a local fitness club since I applied for a receptionist job. 15 hours a week, easy, answering phones and cleaning equipment. REJECTED! Seriously, WTH?! I can't seem to get hard OR easy jobs no matter what I do. I applied for a local grocery store as a cashier and haven't heard a word since I put in the application on 7/5. Our family needs the money. The rent went up, the bills (especially medical bills) have piled up, and my mom's SSI has been slashed by over $100. She needed a family member to help pay the LAST rent because I was unable to find work (and $$$).

Again....my experience and my resume states:
Current Substitute Paraeducator in one school district - September 2017-present (and not listing it on there, but I was fired from another district for 'allegedly' telling a kid he was 'disgusting' - I actually told him he was being disrespectful to me and other students. Sounds fine, right? :roll: )
Current college student in third year going for Elementary Ed. major
Have been in a couple of HS leadership projects (one included a canned food drive)
Volunteered dozens of hours in junior/senior year at two local elementary schools

When Goodwill, an athletic club, ARCADES of all places reject me, it really, really hurts. :( I have no idea what I'm supposed to do when they keep denying me a chance to make money!!
At my DVR meeting, the man told me that I would be approved, but unfortunately Washington has a waiting list that's about 50 miles long. (Keep in mind of the Seattle-Tacoma-Everett DVR clients as well, probably 10,000 of them.) It may take several months if not a year or two for them to finally help me. I'll be living in a homeless shelter before then due to the rise of rent. (And for those who say that I should find cheaper housing...in Yakima, there's an apartment crisis going on right now - finding an open apartment is like finding a needle in a haystack.)

I saw this on the CBS Evening News several months ago - Microsoft hired this 27-year-old autistic man after being rejected for over 600 jobs. Somebody around here has to give me a chance. :heart:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-growin ... workplace/

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2018, 7:09 pm

If there is a Vocational Rehab office close to your home and in your home state, go there and ask about what VR can do for you in regards to you wanting to find yourself proper employment.

VR has been helping me find work since the beginning of last year and despite no success yet, VR has been keeping my records on file.

VR helps people with disabilities find work, including for people on the spectrum. My case worker has been a good help and sometimes has dinner with my family and me.

WAautisticguy
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jul 2018, 5:21 pm

Like I said, DVR will NOT help me. They have a waiting list that's 100 miles long. Thousands of people are ahead of me. They take the most-seriously disabled people first, then they'll get to people like me (with high-functioning autism spectrum).

This morning I got rejected from the grocery cashier job (local chain called Rosauer's). So how many does that make it in just the past several weeks? 15? 16? God I don't know. But my mom and I are struggling to the point where we argue and bicker more than we have a enjoyable conversation. She can't pay the bills! I can't help her unless I hear the words 'YOU'RE HIRED!' I'm not sitting on my a$$ all the time, I apply for at least a few jobs a week. My depression level is really high right now, not having money to help this rent and the power bill and the cable bills...not to mention several hundred dollars in medical bills that Mom owes to debt collectors.
At this point, I have a better chance robbing a bank than I do finding a job. BECAUSE NO ONE WILL GIVE ME MY FIRST CHANCE. :x :x :x And no wonder people are living at the Union Gospel Mission. (Albeit some abuse drugs and don't care, others can't afford housing and can't find a job.)

I'll apply for Fred Meyer (grocery/department store in the NW) today and we'll see what happens. They need part-time help in a few departments. But if they can't help me either - I'm marching down to the unemployment line and/or People for People, which also help disabled people struggling to find jobs. But I worry about having to go out in the apple fields, in a van no less, with a bunch of Hispanics that don't speak a lick of English, or ending up on a 102 degree construction site throwing old pieces of lumber in a dumpster. Is that what my legacy is supposed to be? Picking apples in 100 degree lower Yakima valley heat? NO. My goal will always be teaching elementary/middle school kids.
If the world wasn't so unfair to all of us, I would be working as a full-time parapro the next couple years, studying and taking night/online classes as I go, and then transitioning from parapro to full-time teacher once I get my Bachelor's in Elem Ed. But 'we hired somebody else' - EVERY friggen' time.

And by the way, I really don't want to hear the 'W' word. W***art. I know they treat their employees like crap and I'm not going there. Despicable corporation.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2018, 5:30 pm

unfortunately in the uk, there isnt such a safety net as voc rehab, closest i was able to get was some useless program mainly for the near brain-dead or chavs in the local area who did drugs or were in gangs who ended up there as part of the governments plan to get the unemployment figures down. even then I didn't get anywhere with them because i was paired with idiots and troublemakers who seem to get away with everything and I got nothing as a result.

in recent times, jobs are scarce and i theorised that if I went all out like handing out CVs to people, act all enthusiastic and joyful (however hard that is), call employers following up vacancy listings, I still have that gap in my work experience and notion that because I was bullied throughout school by almost everyone, chances are those people will have integrated themselves into certain workplaces that I might have applied for and probably noticed my name and notified the employer. maybe paranoid on my part but its the only thing i can think of that is responsible for me not hearing back from anyone for a long time

DinoMongoosePenguin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Jul 2018, 12:42 pm

WAautisticguy wrote:
Like I said, DVR will NOT help me. They have a waiting list that's 100 miles long. Thousands of people are ahead of me. They take the most-seriously disabled people first, then they'll get to people like me (with high-functioning autism spectrum).

This morning I got rejected from the grocery cashier job (local chain called Rosauer's). So how many does that make it in just the past several weeks? 15? 16? God I don't know. But my mom and I are struggling to the point where we argue and bicker more than we have a enjoyable conversation. She can't pay the bills! I can't help her unless I hear the words 'YOU'RE HIRED!' I'm not sitting on my a$$ all the time, I apply for at least a few jobs a week. My depression level is really high right now, not having money to help this rent and the power bill and the cable bills...not to mention several hundred dollars in medical bills that Mom owes to debt collectors.
At this point, I have a better chance robbing a bank than I do finding a job. BECAUSE NO ONE WILL GIVE ME MY FIRST CHANCE. :x :x :x And no wonder people are living at the Union Gospel Mission. (Albeit some abuse drugs and don't care, others can't afford housing and can't find a job.)

I'll apply for Fred Meyer (grocery/department store in the NW) today and we'll see what happens. They need part-time help in a few departments. But if they can't help me either - I'm marching down to the unemployment line and/or People for People, which also help disabled people struggling to find jobs. But I worry about having to go out in the apple fields, in a van no less, with a bunch of Hispanics that don't speak a lick of English, or ending up on a 102 degree construction site throwing old pieces of lumber in a dumpster. Is that what my legacy is supposed to be? Picking apples in 100 degree lower Yakima valley heat? NO. My goal will always be teaching elementary/middle school kids.
If the world wasn't so unfair to all of us, I would be working as a full-time parapro the next couple years, studying and taking night/online classes as I go, and then transitioning from parapro to full-time teacher once I get my Bachelor's in Elem Ed. But 'we hired somebody else' - EVERY friggen' time.

And by the way, I really don't want to hear the 'W' word. W***art. I know they treat their employees like crap and I'm not going there. Despicable corporation.

I applied for Wal-Mart. (Though I too heard bad things about them.) However, after taking a silly and rather long online test simulation thing, I was rejected.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2018, 9:17 pm

^^^gosh :o that may bode ill for me should I ever put in an application.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2018, 9:51 pm

Anyone who's applying at multiple public-involved jobs (fast food, Goodwill, arcades) and getting rejected needs to ask themselves if there's a problem with their presentation. Is their grooming and clothing appropriate? Is their posture okay? Are they friendly and smiling when they approach? Is theirs one of a hundred applications, and the manager hires the neighbor kid? Sometimes you have to go back repeatedly until they cave and give you the job. You do need to find out who makes the hiring decision. And you need to make yourself personable.

I will say this though - people who succeed in life, unless very lucky in their parentage, generally have had to do some unglamorous jobs along the way. When I see someone turning down work or not considering work because it's outdoors in the heat, because it's Walmart, because they aren't good in math, etc. etc. etc., or thinking that without a degree they can find something in their academic field - I think "too picky."

I have maintained employment most (not all) of my adult life, and in that time I have waited tables, made beds, washed floors, scrubbed toilets, wiped butts, folded laundry, weeded gardens, edited census forms, gone door to door, sold fabric, taken typing jobs when I already had a degree, worked in a call center, sorted widgets, processed bulk mailings, etc., etc., etc.

You also have to understand the hiring cycle. Nobody ever hires between Christmas and New Year's, for example, but things pick up after the start of the year. You don't look for the type of jobs teenagers get, in June or July - because all those kids are filling summer jobs. If you are a college student you should start looking for summer work in March.

Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear, but sometimes the truth is unpleasant.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2018, 10:04 pm

there isn't jobs in the USA where the admission is via some exam? i feel it should be a good option to autistic people, as it don't depend on a personal evaluation.

they exist in brazil for public service and it's my hope for getting a good job.
i got an internship once but i feel it was just because they paid me very little. i don't feel very confident people will like me enough to give me a job.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2018, 10:25 pm

ltcvnzl wrote:
there isn't jobs in the USA where the admission is via some exam? i feel it should be a good option to autistic people, as it don't depend on a personal evaluation.

they exist in brazil for public service and it's my hope for getting a good job.
i got an internship once but i feel it was just because they paid me very little. i don't feel very confident people will like me enough to give me a job.

Yes we do, that's called "civil service" jobs. However, the people participating in this thread mostly seem to be looking for "casual employment" meaning a few months here and there while in school, or just something you can get immediately.

Civil service jobs are usually permanent jobs, and there may be many months from signing up to take a test, taking it, getting results, and then being able to apply for jobs. You still will have to compete with others meeting a minimum score, so interviewing skills are still helpful.

The job I held the longest in my life was civil service. It is stable employment with decent benefits, but upward advancement is somewhat limited, though not impossible.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2018, 10:05 am

I tend to agree with BeaArthur.

I always considered work to be an integral part of preparation for a career. Around the age of 10, I began cutting lawns in the neighborhood. In the winter I shoveled snow from driveways. I also sold garden seeds door-to-door in the springtime. This gave me spending money to pursue my passion at the time, which were comic books. In high school, I worked in a five-and-dime store. It is important for students to work during the summer and after school because it can help establish a good work ethic. In high school and all during college, I worked.

I worked jobs (20 hours per week) whenever I was in school and (40 hours per week) during the summers, the entire time I was in college. During my four years of college, I worked:
* in the main branch of a bank balancing daily receipts.
* as a postman in the downtown mail sorting station.
* as a parking lot attendant.
* as a warehouseman in a large department store storage facility.
* as a night shift operator on a cyclotron.
* with a supercomputer performing heat transport modeling.

Working prior to graduating from college does not equate to the career field that you will eventually land in. I generally worked at anything. I was always developing a range of skills.

One area that you have not tried is applying for the National Guards. I went through 6 weeks of basic training and then a few months of technical school. After that it is one weekend per month and two weeks a year during the summer. It gives you a steady income. You need to be able to follow orders. I did not find it terrible difficult to go through. Before I went in someone told me that in boot camp they tried and do head games. That turned out to be true. But I was very good at games. I could keep my head about me under extreme duress. In order to get in you will need to pass a written test and a physical.