Are my parents wrong to tell me to go to my room since Im 34

Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

neptunekh
Toucan
Toucan

29 Nov 2018, 11:43 pm

I get furious and yell at parents alot. I'm almost 35 and I'm wondering is it wrong for them to tell me to go to my room? I'm basiclly 35 for god's sake and I just because I live at home they don't need to tell me to do that. I also get really pissed off when my brother who visits sometimes tells me the same thing. It's wrong to impose on me I think.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2018, 12:19 am

Well, how do you think it feels to your parents when you yell at them?

neptunekh
Toucan
Toucan

30 Nov 2018, 12:24 am

Please leave me alone Bea.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2018, 12:27 am

I'm not trolling you. I'm suggesting an alternative viewpoint.

If you post on a public forum, you have to accept that some people who respond may not be your favorite people.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2018, 12:32 am

I know that I wouldn't want anybody yelling at me.

qwerwe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Nov 2018, 3:28 am

It's not about age. If you yell at them in their home, what else do they have to do with you?
Since I moved from my parents they don't yell at me and they don't commands me.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2018, 3:39 am

Yes it is a bit extreme for them to send you to your room, especially your brother who doesn't even live there.

Maybe the OP yells at her parents because they push her buttons and make her yell.
A lot of families yell at each other when living under one roof, especially as adults. No need to send her to her room like she's 8.

Angel 6
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Nov 2018, 3:41 am

No of course not.

If you yell then quite rightly you get told off by your parents and sent to your room. You live under their roof remember so you should live by their rules and treat them with respect.

Your parents should be your best friends, mine are my best friends. I'd be lost without them.

neptunekh
Toucan
Toucan

30 Nov 2018, 8:45 am

Thanks for agreeing with me Joe90.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2018, 9:14 am

If you're looking for agreement, then skip this post.

You live in your parents' house. They make the rules. You should respect them. Yelling at them is offensive. Sending you to your room is a defensive act. Ergo, you were wrong and they were right.

If you don't want your parents to send you to your room, then either stop yelling at them or move out and get a place of your own.

Yes, it's just that simple.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2018, 9:26 am

neptunekh wrote:
I get furious and yell at parents alot.

Why ?

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2018, 9:43 am

It is completely wrong for your brother to be able to do it, and I don't like that your parents do it either but at the same time you do live under their roof. I feel at age 35, and honestly even if you were a little child, there are far better ways to handle it.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2018, 10:20 am

If your parents are upset by you yelling at them in their own house and they want you to stop or they don't want to be close in proximity to you while you're yelling, where are they supposed to go? Leave the house? Go into the basement (if the house has one)? Go outside and stand in the yard? I have to agree with Fnord on this one. It's their house.

If a person is being belligerent in an establishment, does the proprietor walk out of the building with all the patrons leaving the belligerent person to have the place to themselves? No, the belligerent person is asked to leave.

I do agree it's not your brother's place to send you to your room, but it's your parent's house so you have to abide by your parent's rules or move out.

If you're having a shouting match where your parents are yelling just as much as you are (so they're not blameless) and then they send you to your room, perhaps that wouldn't be fair, but it's still their house so it's still their rules.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2018, 10:56 am

it's not always possible to "just move out".

not enough people are aware of this.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2018, 11:04 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
it's not always possible to "just move out".

not enough people are aware of this.

Understood. However, rules apply everywhere unless a person lives in a remote area by themselves.

There are only three options that I can see that anyone has if they don't own their own place but have a problem with the rules of where they live:

1) Try to change the rules or try to have the rules changed. If that's not possible...........
2) Move out. If that's not possible..................
3) Adhere to the rules of the house, apartment building, condo association, neighborhood, etc.

Is there any other viable option that I'm not seeing?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2018, 11:05 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
it's not always possible to "just move out". not enough people are aware of this.
True. I posed those options to illustrate why getting along with the parents is important -- the option of leaving may not be possible for the OP (or she would have done it by now), and an attempt to change a rule may be what precipitated the argument in the first place.

When I was homeless, I would have LOVED to have moved in with my parents, and even offered to run all of their errands for them. But being true to their "18 and Out" philosophy, they would not let me back in. Bummer.