Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

abearofverybigheart
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 May 2019, 5:43 am

Does anyone else carry a stuffed animal with them? I'm always afraid people will look at me weird, but having it would make me feel better because it's a point of familiarity when things get to be too much. I take one with me in the car when my family and I go on day trips, but I don't take it out of the car because my sister thinks I'm weird for bringing it in the first place. Any input?

SecretOpossumCabal
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 May 2019, 8:22 pm

I think it's cute for a girl to do, but a guy would likely get looks, most people would likely just assume that the person is carrying it for child relative. But I would say if you were male it would probably best to ween yourself off that habit, though it be harmless it would hurt him in the end by drawing unwanted stigma, but for a lady I think it should be okay.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2019, 1:44 pm

abearofverybigheart wrote:
Does anyone else carry a stuffed animal with them? I'm always afraid people will look at me weird, but having it would make me feel better because it's a point of familiarity when things get to be too much. I take one with me in the car when my family and I go on day trips, but I don't take it out of the car because my sister thinks I'm weird for bringing it in the first place. Any input?

I think there are ways to carry around a stuffed animal and perhaps
1. A really small one on a key chain
2. Get a big enough bag and hide it and if you have a meltdown in public, pull it out in a bathroom stall

As far as carrying a stuffed animal goes, I have not done that in a long time but I would love to carry around a Stitch, from Lilo and Stitch.

Dan82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 May 2019, 3:46 pm

SecretOpossumCabal wrote:
I think it's cute for a girl to do, but a guy would likely get looks, most people would likely just assume that the person is carrying it for child relative. But I would say if you were male it would probably best to ween yourself off that habit, though it be harmless it would hurt him in the end by drawing unwanted stigma, but for a lady I think it should be okay.

I think it's slightly more socially acceptable for a woman, but overall it wouldn't be strictly speaking okay.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 May 2019, 3:57 pm

I brought my teddy bear to the hospital and everybody was so surprised and so very nice! Definitely a hospital is a good place for that.

It never occurred to me until you asked but, yes, I would like to bring a stuffed animal with me everywhere. I know a woman who carries a Barbie (appropriately clad for the purpose) in her purse, but keeps it hidden.

This is such a wonderful idea you've had - I'll have to get creative and find something I can get away with. Press it against the heart chakra, what a relief!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2019, 5:20 pm

Carrying a stuffed animal in public (if you're not a young child or in a wheelchair) is considered embarrassing and people will stare and laugh at you. Inconsiderate, I know, but it is just socially forbidden according to NTs. But taking a stuffed animal in the car with you or anywhere that's out of the public's eye but around people who know you well, is OK.

I would take my bear to hospital with me if I ever have to have an operation, but I'm worried about what sort of nurses I get attending to me. My grandmother was in hospital once, and she had dementia, and was feeling emotional and worried before her operation, and her sister told us that the nurse on her ward was rather insensitive and told my grandmother to "stop being silly", and didn't comfort her or care about how she felt at all. So if some nurses can be critical like that to an elderly lady with dementia, then I could get a nurse who's critical about me taking my teddy bear with me to hospital. I don't like people criticising my choices.

CalicoMischief
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 May 2019, 6:59 pm

I dont carry one around with me but i do own them and I like them.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 7:09 pm

What makes me happy is more important that what society thinks, but unfortunately there's too much stigma for adults to be carrying a doll or stuffed animal with them in public. They think you're mentally disabled.

On other hand, most sellers don't seem to mind when I've admitted that I'm buying the toy for myself and not for a child.

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 8:41 pm

As a teenage girl Ive never had any trouble with it.

My friend and I once did a photo challenge with a stuffed bear. Took it everywhere to take pictures of it and never got any odd looks. Did the same thing with a tiny unicorn once too.
My friends and I in general have bought cute souvenirs and stuffed animals and toys while on vacations and places and carried them and not cared. Disney world doesnt count however everyone is a kid there lol
I bring my stuffed animals to sleepaway camps, school field trips, and vacations. No other kids ever thought I was weird for bringing them.
I also have keychain animals hanging off my suitcases and backpacks and no one has ever found that odd.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 May 2019, 4:02 am

I've seen a lot of college and uni kids with stuffed animals, often tied to the back-pack. But I don't think you could carry one in an office.

I'm retired but don't want to look foolish, so I found something I could use. A smallish stuffed whale with a scarf that says, "Save Whales - Less Plastic." There! Once it has a purpose it seems better.

I live in Montreal, on the St-Lawrence River, and periodically a dead right whale fetches up dead from starvation because its stomach is crammed so full of plastic it can't take food. That really bothers me. I wouldn't mind sending a message on a stuffed toy.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2019, 8:44 am

First off, since this was your first post - welcome to Wrong Planet.

As Joe90 said

Quote:
Carrying a stuffed animal in public (if you're not a young child or in a wheelchair) is considered embarrassing and people will stare and laugh at you.
This is less of a problem for female Aspies than male Aspies. It definitely breaks all social rules for a male.

Stuffed animals provide a means of relieving stress. So I can understand the need. Best advise is to do this in a socially acceptable manner.

abearofverybigheart
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 May 2019, 6:28 am

It's nice to hear other people's stories and perspectives on the subject :) . I ask because I'd been having a few bad days, and wanted to know if anyone else did this to feel better.

As far as my own experiences go, when I was in high school there would be challenging times when I'd bring one with me if I felt I'd have a particularly rough day, and it seemed to go well. I usually only brought small one's, like a small plush Tsum Tsum, or one no bigger than maybe a hand.

There was one day, though, where I carried around a stuffed shark that was just a but bigger than my head, and people( students and teachers alike) were very kind about it, though that could have been influenced by the fact that I had a reputation for being particularly soft spoken and timid, which looking back could have given them reason not to say anything harsh.

That being said, I've actually not had many (if any at all) negative experiences regarding this, and I've never had anyone really judge me about buying one for myself (one or two thought it was nice, the rest didn't seem to really care). The only real negative influence I have is my sister. My mom doesn't seem to mind, and if anything my dad encourages both me and my sister to hold onto any childlike wonder.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2019, 8:02 am

A female buying a teddy bear is OK, or having a small teddy on a key chain or something, but just walking along a street as a childless person with a cuddly toy tucked under your arm is usually asking for ridicule. My mum stopped me taking my teddy out in public with me when I was 8. I don't know if 8 is too big to carry a teddy bear around or not, unless you're at a funfair and your parents have won a soft toy but I'm talking about taking out a soft toy from home to the shops or to school. I took my teddy to school when I was 4 and 5 and maybe 6 sometimes, but after that I stopped and so did the other children, although it's still socially acceptable to play tea parties with your soft toys at that age.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2019, 8:22 am

Joe90 wrote:
A female buying a teddy bear is OK, or having a small teddy on a key chain or something, but just walking along a street as a childless person with a cuddly toy tucked under your arm is usually asking for ridicule. My mum stopped me taking my teddy out in public with me when I was 8. I don't know if 8 is too big to carry a teddy bear around or not, unless you're at a funfair and your parents have won a soft toy but I'm talking about taking out a soft toy from home to the shops or to school. I took my teddy to school when I was 4 and 5 and maybe 6 sometimes, but after that I stopped and so did the other children, although it's still socially acceptable to play tea parties with your soft toys at that age.

8 is pretty young to be made to stop carrying around a comfort object. I stopped bringing a stuffed animal or doll with me when I was 10 or 11. I was a highly anxious child and felt more secure when I could have something comforting nearby. I probably would’ve been even a little older before I stopped if I had been able to buy the American Girl doll I wanted.

I’m not sure if one should base one’s behaviors off of what others think. I’ve been gradually moving away from that mindset, especially if it’s preventing me from doing something that is good for me in some way.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2019, 8:27 am

It's nice to hear other people's stories and perspectives on the subject :) . I ask because I'd been having a few bad days, and wanted to know if anyone else did this to feel better.

As far as my own experiences go, when I was in high school there would be challenging times when I'd bring one with me if I felt I'd have a particularly rough day, and it seemed to go well. I usually only brought small one's, like a small plush Tsum Tsum, or one no bigger than maybe a hand.

There was one day, though, where I carried around a stuffed shark that was just a but bigger than my head, and people( students and teachers alike) were very kind about it, though that could have been influenced by the fact that I had a reputation for being particularly soft spoken and timid, which looking back could have given them reason not to say anything harsh.

That being said, I've actually not had many (if any at all) negative experiences regarding this, and I've never had anyone really judge me about buying one for myself (one or two thought it was nice, the rest didn't seem to really care). The only real negative influence I have is my sister. My mom doesn't seem to mind, and if anything my dad encourages both me and my sister to hold onto any childlike wonder.

That’s great! Kudos to your dad!

Don’t worry about others judging you. If some do, they are probably people who wouldn’t be deserving of your friendship, and, thus, their opinion doesn’t matter! It’s taken me a long time to realize this, but it looks like you are ahead of the game.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 May 2019, 10:37 am

I once gifted a friend with a sports logo "muff" (hand warmer) - the team is its own justification.