Mathematic as an individual with asperger.

Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2023, 1:17 pm

Geometry was sent by the devil to drive some of us doolally .

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2023, 9:27 am

I struggle with math if it's badly communicated or explained.
I will struggle still as long as I cannot comprehend the verbal terms at all.

Math itself overall isn't actually easy to explain.
.. And whatever language issues and verbal memory I have doesn't help with that...

For me, nothing truly clicks until all parts, all steps and in between that, and all bits of detail in each part is explained.
I struggle to fill gaps and "assume" unless I voluntarily waste hours of time and happened to be willing to toy with it.

I'd do better in more visual representation of maths.

Better if there are patterns well explained enough in less concrete and more abstract parts.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Esme
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Nov 2023, 10:35 pm

What type of learner are you? I struggled with math until my teacher realised I was very visual. After that, I would doodle the problem so I could understand it and math became one of my favourite subjects. If I can’t ‘see’ a problem in my head, then it’s meaningless. Work out how you think and use that.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2023, 12:16 am

Yes, there are many different ways to solve math problems. Find the one that works for you!
I can manipulate numbers as well as visualize so I've done very well in math.
I don't get the benefit many get by graphing number sets as I can work with numbers directly.

I can "tune" an electronic circuit using a digital meter. Most people need a visual indication and can't process numbers to make adjustments.

cornpop397
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Dec 2023, 10:30 am

Mathematics... it's just- it's beautiful, really. I have created many "fictional" worlds, coding for planetary gravity and possible conditions. BUT! Only visually, mathematics in solely verbal/auditory form brings me to tears, as there is failure of understanding...

elotepreparado
Raven
Raven

06 Feb 2024, 2:02 pm

Yes, math was fun. But when I saw it written out in different ways. When the same problem is written or explained in different ways, it gets easier to understand because I find how all the ways are connected and understand each method better.

This was in high school, though. I haven't taken a math class in 4 years.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2024, 2:58 pm

BTDT wrote:
Yes, there are many different ways to solve math problems. Find the one that works for you!
I can manipulate numbers as well as visualize so I've done very well in math.
I don't get the benefit many get by graphing number sets as I can work with numbers directly.

I can "tune" an electronic circuit using a digital meter. Most people need a visual indication and can't process numbers to make adjustments.

I think sometimes the emphasis on teaching students lots of ways is asking for trouble. There should be one way of doing it until the students catch on in most cases. If they've got that, then adding more is fine, but so often additional ways are taught before the students have properly grasped any way of doing it.

ThatWeirdKid
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Feb 2024, 1:21 pm

I hate math and I really struggle with it. I prefer history, English and Polish

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2024, 9:26 pm

I am both great and terrible at math. I never learned my multiplication tables. Just couldn’t do it. I got great grades in Geometry, Algebra and Calculus. Had trouble with Differential Equations (all memorization) loke Matrix math. Got along great with statistics when it was “marbles in a bag” crashed and burned after that. What the heck is e? How can you take “e” marbles out of a bag? Poson distribution? It looks like a fish, beyond that I don’t get it. It got worse from there.

vergil96
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Mar 2024, 7:41 am

I like math a lot and want to specialize in machine learning and data science, which are math-loaded. I'm a programmer.

JamesW
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Apr 2024, 8:06 am

I got into trouble at school for being able to add columns of figures in my head.

As an autistic child I had no instinctive understanding of the fact that teachers don't like to be made to look stupid - even when they are.

There is a God.