I'm adult but i wonder how many of you kids get misdiagnosed

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2019, 2:28 pm

I'm adult but I wonder how many of you kids get misdiagnosed?
As a kid, I was misdiagnosed for having ADHD but I haven't I was diagnosed at 18 for having ASD, even that psychologist suspected that before?
I wonder how many kids today got wrongly diagnosed?
And does you're ware bullied because of ASD, ADHD or any other mental problem

Remember kids, "Si vis pacem para bellum" :D

julian_03
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Nov 2019, 9:57 pm

I'm not sure about misdiagnoses, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was a common problem. I wasn't misdiagnosed, but it took 14 years for me to get a diagnosis. I think that more often than getting a wrong answer, children with autism get no answers at all. Many of us with high-functioning autism have changed our behaviors and adapted to do just this. I don't think we always realize what we are doing or how different we really are from other people until we receive a diagnosis, but these traits make it difficult for the adults around us to even realize that there is something different about us. I can see how this would easily lead to children on the autism spectrum being misdiagnosed, but again, I don't have any firm evidence or research backing any of this.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2019, 6:52 pm

julian_03 wrote:
I'm not sure about misdiagnoses, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was a common problem. I wasn't misdiagnosed, but it took 14 years for me to get a diagnosis. I think that more often than getting a wrong answer, children with autism get no answers at all. Many of us with high-functioning autism have changed our behaviors and adapted to do just this. I don't think we always realize what we are doing or how different we really are from other people until we receive a diagnosis, but these traits make it difficult for the adults around us to even realize that there is something different about us. I can see how this would easily lead to children on the autism spectrum being misdiagnosed, but again, I don't have any firm evidence or research backing any of this.

As a kid, I was misdiagnosed or having ADHD, because I had problem with being patient and sit still when I was told do so, but over the time I was calmer and introvert, so they rediagnosed me as having High-functioning autism in form of Asperger Syndrome :)

Recently I read a very interesting article about a fearless nature photographer who was diagnosed with ADHD but only as an adult :-)

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 744AAs51bx

Quote:
Recently, I read an interview with one photographer who specializes in taking pictures of wildlife, makes pictures for our Polish magazines and for those with international coverage such as National Geographic.

The guy said that since childhood he was a risk-taker, that he liked to climb the tallest trees and buildings. That his parents were very good although his father believed in old upbringing methods, such as being beaten when he had bad grades,

He said that when he gets spanking he used foul language at his dad with making his dad even more mad, and give him even more spanking in a process.

And finally, when he did something rude again, his father said that this time he would not give him a spanking, because apparently he derives pleasure from it, "that he has a son a psychopath" :-)

He talked about the fact that at school he was the smallest child and because of this he was tormented by a school bully, but it did not deter him that he liked to mock this school bully, even though he knew that he might not end well for him :-)

And finally he beat his tormentor himself, but it was not the bully who had problems with it only he because of it always is, that he was diagnosed with ADHD but only later on as an adult

He said that I sometimes get pleasure out of pain or deadly risk.

That, as a kid, he liked to provoke a very dangerous dog, German Shepherd neighbours, that he provoked the dog to attack and then quickly ran away, watching as the pissed dog tugs his cloth toy, says that he is now ashamed because it could be seen now as form of animal abuse and he loves animals even more than people :-)

He said that photography of nature is his passion, that he once crept into the lair of a brown bear to have a better shot, although he knew that this shot could be a shot of his life, literally and figuratively :-)

But he just like adrenaline :-)

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2019, 1:40 am

pawelk1986 wrote:
julian_03 wrote:

As a kid, I was misdiagnosed or having ADHD, because I had problem with being patient and sit still when I was told do so, but over the time I was calmer and introvert, so they rediagnosed me as having High-functioning autism in form of Asperger Syndrome :)

Recently I read a very interesting article about a fearless nature photographer who was diagnosed with ADHD but only as an adult :-)

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 744AAs51bx

Quote:
Recently, I read an interview with one photographer who specializes in taking pictures of wildlife, makes pictures for our Polish magazines and for those with international coverage such as National Geographic.

The guy said that since childhood he was a risk-taker, that he liked to climb the tallest trees and buildings. That his parents were very good although his father believed in old upbringing methods, such as being beaten when he had bad grades,

He said that when he gets spanking he used foul language at his dad with making his dad even more mad, and give him even more spanking in a process.

And finally, when he did something rude again, his father said that this time he would not give him a spanking, because apparently he derives pleasure from it, "that he has a son a psychopath" :-)

He talked about the fact that at school he was the smallest child and because of this he was tormented by a school bully, but it did not deter him that he liked to mock this school bully, even though he knew that he might not end well for him :-)

And finally he beat his tormentor himself, but it was not the bully who had problems with it only he because of it always is, that he was diagnosed with ADHD but only later on as an adult

He said that I sometimes get pleasure out of pain or deadly risk.

That, as a kid, he liked to provoke a very dangerous dog, German Shepherd neighbours, that he provoked the dog to attack and then quickly ran away, watching as the pissed dog tugs his cloth toy, says that he is now ashamed because it could be seen now as form of animal abuse and he loves animals even more than people :-)

He said that photography of nature is his passion, that he once crept into the lair of a brown bear to have a better shot, although he knew that this shot could be a shot of his life, literally and figuratively :-)

But he just like adrenaline :-)

I guess it's easy to misdiagnose. Many of my ASD students/friends have a comorbidity of ADHD and OCD. It's difficult to determine where one begins and the other ends.

Stardust_Dragonfly
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2019, 4:48 am

I'm now an adult and was diagnosed as one, but was misdiagnosed my whole childhood.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2019, 5:10 am

My 1st school in Bangkok reckoned I had problems , but tests at Great Ormond street ruled out what is now called Cerebral Palsy. After that there were mentions of poor coordination/bad handwriting/disorganised/messy/the kind of boy to get bullied etc but no attempt at diagnosing me with anything .

Peta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Nov 2019, 5:30 am

I was told I had ADD but now ASD