Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

julian_03
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Nov 2019, 3:50 pm

I am getting to the age where I am expected to pick a college to attend and a major to study there. I don't struggle with school and I get good grades, but genuinely have no idea where I want to go. I hate change as it is very overwhelming for me, and although I have been going to therapy to work out some of my anxiety and difficulties regarding my autism, I don't know if I will be ready to move away to college in a year and a half. Unlike most teens, I am pretty close with my parents and heavily rely on the routines that I have established at home to keep my sanity. There are many majors that I am interested in pursuing, specifically something in the medical field or an engineering major. Sometimes I find it really hard to be hopeful for my future because of all of the struggles I know I will have. I don't think that it is realistic to expect myself to move far away from home, but there is only one public university close to where I live. I have decided that I will attend college there, but it limits some of my choices for majors. I am terrified of making the wrong decision, but also of being unsuccessful. Just wondering how college applications and actual college life is for other people on the spectrum. Hope you can relate and have good advice on how to tackle these obstacles :)

sophietheaspie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Apr 2020, 2:58 am

hey! Is there a college counsellor that you can get in touch with? Maybe there is someone you can get in touch with to arrange room accommodations and everything. Maybe it would be easier for you to share a room with another aspie, even to prevent loneliness and to have someone that could understand you. I know it could be hard but how about changing one part of your routine each day (consult your therapist), even a small thing like for example brushing your teeth before washing your face... I would love to hear if this would help.

If you go to a college with many students it is sure there will be more fellow aspies.