Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

plasma107
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Apr 2020, 5:20 am

I’m 15 and I’ve never really fit in with my peers. I always seem to have disproportionate responses in social situations and I’ve always had trouble making friends. I spend most of my time watching tv or movies, sometimes trying to better understand how to interact with other people.

Every time I interact with another person I feel as though I’m just emulating behaviors I’ve seen and mimicking their own behavior. I feel as though my personality, or the way I behave around other people, is not my own and it’s all stilted. Every time I laugh at a joke it seems obligatory and most of the time I don’t understand it or it takes me a while. When I make jokes it doesn’t usually make sense to other people and it just gets awkward.

I’ve been watching this show lately in which one of the main characters has aspergers and I realized how much I have in common with him. I started to research ASD and more specifically aspergers and I have many of the traits exemplified with the condition. I took a couple different online tests for ASD, and while I realize they are probably not that accurate, my results almost certainly indicate that I’m on the spectrum.
Is there any advice anyone can give me for how to proceed?

(Sorry for the jumbled post I’m not a writer and sorry if any of my ideas were inaccurate )

sophietheaspie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Apr 2020, 2:27 am

It is very possible that you may be on the spectrum! I am not a doctor however before getting an official diagnosis at 16, I had to self diagnose myself for anyone to believe me, it was hard. I had seen 2 'neurotypical' psychologists, who one of them completely rejected the idea I was on the spectrum. I finally have an official ASD diagnosis and it has helped me so much. Does your family know you are thinking you may be on the spectrum? Do you have a good relationship with your family members? (at first, my mom wasn't quite accepting, it was hard for her to accept the news, but now it's ok). Also do you know what masking is? If not I suggest you research into it.

julian_03
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Apr 2020, 10:46 pm

I would definitely do some research. If it is important to you and/or you think it would be helpful, you could pursue a diagnosis. I would definitely talk to your parents about it too. I got a diagnosis when I was 15/16, so not very long ago, and before that, it wasn't really something I even considered myself having. For me, a diagnosis makes some things easier, but also makes me question a lot of things. Overall I think it's a lot easier to have a diagnosis because a lot of your traits and struggles will make more sense. I definitely relate to having struggles with making friends. I currently don't have any friends, and I find it really hard to connect with people. Is a diagnosis something that you are interested in? What does your family think about the possibility of Aspergers?