Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Connie1207
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 May 2020, 5:55 pm

So I have a super silly problem and want advice. Lol.

I’ve always loved horses and want to become a rider. The problem is, I live in an area where that’s largely not possible as there is nowhere locally that I can receive lessons.
I’ve only ever had a few lessons at very young ages.

Now the thing is, my dad might buy me and my sister a horse next year (yay!) I’m so excited because I know it will help with some autism symptoms, plus it’s just something I’ve always wanted to do.

The thing is, my old best friend abandoned me for another girl ages ago, but keeps sitting close to me, letting me get my hopes up, and then making a rude comment or ignoring me. It’s been really tricky to have to let this happen.

This old friend has horses, and had previously asked me if I’d like to ride them. I said yes, only to find out she’d asked the other girl and can’t bring me anymore as there are only two horses.

It would be so easy if she’s just leave me alone. But she won’t. So now I have to see someone who I really wish would be my friend abandon me to go and do my dream hobby with someone else.
I have tried to talk to the friend in the past but she just made rude comments and ridiculed me.

What should I do and how do I stop it hurting? :(

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2020, 6:04 pm

Don't bother with your friend until she grows up and is mature enough to value you. People do change as they get older.
You could do with finding somewhere that does horse riding in your area. If you lived in my area I know a few people who even if they could not help, they would know someone who could, as quite a few living in my area keep a horse. (I never got on with trying to ride them as I was far too used to riding bicyxles, and apparently I am not supposed to hold its ears and squeeze them to use them as brakes! I was told they don't like it!

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2020, 9:51 pm

Horses can be helpful for those battling illnesses like depression. Animals provide for emotional support. When we were children we latched onto stuffed animals. But as we grew up, social norms forced us to toss these simple stress relievers in the trash. In animal therapy picks up where teddy bears left off. It provides a venue for the important need of touch.

Animals can provide a sense of calm, comfort, or safety and divert attention away from a stressful situation and toward one that provides pleasure. Advocates of animal-assisted therapy say that developing a bond with an animal can help people develop a better sense of self-worth and trust, stabilize their emotions, and improve their communication, self-regulation, and socialization skills.

So I guess the bottom line is "ditch the friend but keep the horse."

Sometimes when race horses are put out to pasture, they have found a new home in animal-assisted therapy. Sometimes race horses are used in equine therapy programs for wounded warriors. As race horses, they are trained to react calmly. They are not apt to be spooked by sudden noises etc. Here is a link to some programs: Equine therapy and other equine programs for military veterans & families