Dr. Anthony Fauci - I respectfully DISAGREE

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2020, 7:18 pm

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, believes Americans will be able to sit in theaters again once a coronavirus vaccine has existed "for almost a year."

He added that if the U.S. gets a "knock-out vaccine that's 85 [to] 90% effective," and "just about everybody gets vaccinated," society will have "a degree of immunity" that allows the general public to "walk into a theater without masks and feel like it's comfortable" that they will not be at risk of catching COVID-19.

Source: Fauci: Americans can go to theaters once a vaccine has existed for 'almost a year'

In Indiana, the movie theaters have opened up a few weeks ago. I have been to the movie theaters 3 times so far and saw 4 films. In my opinion, I have felt very safe. Actually very, very safe.
* For one thing the theaters are mostly empty. In two of the films, I was the only one in attendance.
* I wear a face mask while I watch the film. But it is an N95 and it protects me from the coronavirus by design. Even if the theater was full, my N95 would shield me.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 2:12 am

And I believe him far more than anyone else.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 10:58 am

I came across this article today. I find it somewhat comforting that some movie theaters have started to incorporate high tech solutions to minimize the spread of the coronavirus within their theaters.

AMC Entertainment CEO Adam Aron told CNBC on Thursday that the company has been pleased with the reopening of its movie theaters following coronavirus-induced closures, citing positive reactions from attendees.

“Our theater cleanliness scores are the best they’ve been in decades, an all-time high,” Aron said on “Squawk Box.” “I think you can eat off the floor,” he quipped.

More than 1 million people in the U.S. have attended movies at AMC theaters since they reopened in late August, the Kansas-based company said Wednesday. AMC started with roughly its first 100 locations on Aug. 20. Aron said the company, which had 636 theaters in the U.S., as of Dec. 31, will have about 75% of its locations open this weekend.

Aron said AMC worked with Clorox and Harvard University’s School of Public Health on its safety protocols for reopening. There are policies in place such as mask requirements — except for when eating and drinking during the movie — and blocking out seats to allow for additional space between guests, he said. AMC has disinfectant wipes and other products that it uses to clean, as well.

“But much more important than that, we’ve invested literally millions and millions in high-tech solutions. We’ve upgraded our air filters to MERV 13. It’s about four times the filtration that we had prior to the Covid-19 pandemic,” he said. “We’ve bought electrostatic sprayers for all of our theaters so that we’re spraying down out auditoriums with these electronically charged cleaning solutions, so we’re all over both tough and airborne transmission of the virus.”

In most places where theaters are allowed to reopen, there are capacity restrictions in place that are meant to allow for social distancing. Aron said those caps are less of an issue for AMC’s business than perhaps an outsider may think.

“We’re not an airline or a Broadway theater that traditionally runs full. In the movie theater business, we’re more of a church built for Easter Sunday,” he said, noting that the 350 million tickets it sold last year represented just 17% of its overall seats. “The issue for us will be convincing moviegoers that our theaters are safe and that our theaters are clean.”

Source: AMC’s CEO describes coronavirus precautions, including upgraded air filtration at reopened theaters

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 12:00 pm

So I thought I would dig a little deeper and see what MERV13 filtration provided.

Let us begin with an N95 mask: N95 respirators filter out most airborne particles from the surrounding air, preventing wearers from breathing in particles down to 0.3 microns in diameter. When worn correctly, N95 respirators block out at least 95% of small airborne particles. So the respirators can filter out some droplets carrying coronavirus. The average diameter of the virus particles is around 0.12 microns (.12 μm, 120 nm).

Hmmm! The coronavirus particles are actually a little smaller than 0.3 microns. I wonder how these N95 face mask deal with smaller particles!

--------------------------------------------

Sneezing or coughing leads to the generation of large droplets (4000+ nm) that can be easily captured by a respiratory mask but what about very small particles? A single influenza virus particle average about 100 nm in size, too small to be trapped by a mask. Or is it? Shown in the figure below is a graph of an N95 filtering facepiece respirator tested in our lab against a polydisperse (broad size range distribution) salt solution. A polydisperse aerosol is used to test the mask’s ability to capture particle sizes from 30-400 nm. The graph demonstrates the typical penetration curve of an N95 filter with few particles (300 nm size) passing through the filter mask (0.4%, circle), well below the NIOSH standard of 5%. As the size of the particle increases, fewer were able to pass through the filter. Note, however, that small particles were able to penetrate through the filter; however, they were still well below the 5% limit established by NIOSH.

Figure 1 in the following link provides a graph of the effectiveness of N95s with smaller particle size. Respiratory Infection Control: Respirators vs. Surgical Masks

When fitted properly, the N95 filtering facepiece respirator has been proven to stop 95% of airborne particulates down to the 10nm (0.01 micron) range

----------------------------------------------

MERV is an abbreviation for Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value. The filtration of MERV filters is given in the following table.

Thus a MERV13 filter will efficiently filter out around 50% of the smallest airborne particles, those between 0.3 and 1.0 microns. Therefore it might be equivalent to wearing a N50 face mask (maybe better than wearing a surgical mask that doctors wear in surgery and many times more filtration than a cloth face mask).

---------------------------------------------
So the MERV13 is a major step in the right direction. But my N95 provides almost complete protection.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2020, 3:24 am

jimmy m wrote:
He added that if the U.S. gets a "knock-out vaccine that's 85 [to] 90% effective," and "just about everybody gets vaccinated," society will have "a degree of immunity" that allows the general public to "walk into a theater without masks and feel like it's comfortable" that they will not be at risk of catching COVID-19.

jimmy m wrote:
For one thing the theaters are mostly empty. In two of the films, I was the only one in attendance.

If you are the only one in attendance either
1. You went at a time of day when nobody goes to movies
2. Most people do not yet feel safe in a movie theater

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2020, 8:41 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:

I am retired so I go to the matinees, they are less expensive. Most of those that attend matinees are old folks such as myself. In a way we are the most vulnerable because of our age.

Granted most people do not yet feel safe to go to movie theaters. They are driven by fear and in many cases this fear is "fear of the unknown". So I have a general understanding of the threat and mitigation techniques to minimize the threat. So I employ these and I feel relatively safe. I PROTECT MYSELF

This approach offers quite a degree of freedom. I go where I want and do what I want. I do not endanger others and they do not endanger me. I just take appropriate precautions. I have eaten out at fine dining restaurants perhaps a dozen time post-covid. I just take precautions. I never eat inside but rather I eat outside. If a restaurant does not offer outdoor seating, I just don't go to it. I have been to the gym at the YMCA a half dozen times. But I only go there to swim laps. There may be no safer place on the planet from the coronavirus than in a chlorinated pool. You are surrounded by disinfectant.

The N95 mask is a uniquely effective tool. The main vulnerability in mask wearing is that some coronaviruses might be trapped on the surface of the mask and I might contaminate myself when I handle the mask. Therefore whenever I get home I put the mask in a UVC Sanitizer box and kill them. This basically restores the mask. Because these mask are in short supply, reusing the mask is extremely important. I used my first mask for 4 months before it became so ratty that I finally decided to throw it away. But this was during the time when the virus was deadlier so it was critically important. I was wearing masks a month before they became mandated. When I started wearing them, I was the only one and everyone stared at me. But again I PROTECTED MYSELF.

Last edited by jimmy m on 14 Sep 2020, 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2020, 8:46 am

jimmy m wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

I am retired so I go to the matinees, they are less expensive. Most of those that attend matinees are old folks such as myself. In a way we are the most vulnerable because of our age.

Granted most people do not yet feel safe to go to movie theaters. They are driven by fear and in many cases this fear is fear of the unknown. So I have a general understanding of the threat and mitigation techniques to minimize the threat. So I employ these and I feel relatively safe. I PROTECT MYSELF

The N95 mask is a uniquely effective tool. The main vulnerability in mask wearing is that some coronaviruses might be trapped on the surface of the mask and I might contaminate myself when I handle the mask. Therefore whenever I get home I put the mask in a UVC Sanitizer box and kill them. This basically restores the mask. Because these mask are in short supply, reusing the mask is extremely important. I used my first mask for 4 months before it became so ratty that I finally decided to throw it away. But this was during the time when the virus was deadlier so it was critically important. I was wearing masks a month before they became mandated. When I started wearing them, I was the only one and everyone stared at me. But again I PROTECTED MYSELF.

Off topic:
Even sans pandemic those matinees are great for autistic people.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2020, 8:54 am

thewrll wrote:
When it comes to medical matters, I will believe the opinions of an active medical practitioner over the medical opinions of a retired physicist/engineer any day.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2020, 10:04 am

Fnord wrote:
thewrll wrote:
When it comes to medical matters, I will believe the opinions of an active medical practitioner over the medical opinions of a retired physicist/engineer any day.

That is your choice. But not mine. It is my very nature. I am an INTJ.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2020, 12:04 pm

There are many different coronavirus experts and many of them disagree. As this video reports:

'Mulan' struggles in China as North American box office remains mostly closed amid the COVID-19 pandemic

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2020, 1:06 pm

Fnord I seem to recall on 27 January 2020 at 8:32 pm, before the pandemic took hold in the U.S. and people were beginning to issue warnings that you said:

Fnord wrote:
So some anonymous gray-haired white guy is telling me it's time to panic ... big, fat, hairy deal.

Source: Emergence of a Deadly Coronavirus

And then on 28 Jan 2020, 11:17 am, you wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Nope ... sorry ... not panicked yet ... keep trying ...

Later that day I wrote:
jimmy m wrote:
It is a funny thing about panic. It is like a herd of buffalo. One buffalo senses danger and signals it to the herd. The whole herd can be grazing and all of a sudden one buffalo "on watch" smells, hears, or sees something. That buffalo "sets a point" with a tail signal and the whole herd comes to immediate attentions, starts slowly to form a tight formation and sounds the alarm.

Then the herd may panic and stampede. So when a panic sets in, there is not much to be done except go along with the herd.

So in some places such as Wuhan, China, they are in an action mode. The herd of buffalo is on the move. The streets are deserted, many store shelves are empty, transportation is at a standstill. They have adopted a shelter-in-place approach. In other places, people are taking precautions such as buying up face mask, quitely stockpiling food, medicine, drinks, pet food, toilet paper, vitamins, etc. in preparation for what may be turned into a global panic.

So although for the most part I am not concerned about this particular threat, I understand the tendency of the herd to panic. It can be prudent to take precautions early because many options will be rather limited if the herd of buffalo decides to stampede.

-------------------------------------

About 50 years ago, I experienced a panic in California. The news announced over the radio that many of the companies that manufacture toilet paper were temporarily shutting down and that there would be a shortage of toilet paper. After work I went into the grocery store to buy some food and I notices many old ladies with shopping carts full of toilet paper pushing them to the checkout lanes. I walked by the aisles that held the toilet paper and they were empty. The shelves were completely bare. I went home and a day latter there was an announcement that the toilet paper scare was fake news that spun out of control.

Your response on 28 Jan 2020, 12:33 pm was
Fnord wrote:
... right over a cliff, which is how some Native American tribes on horseback would kill as many buffalo as possible at once, thus ensuring enough food and hides for the entire tribe, all at once.

Lucky for us, humanity acts nothing like a herd of stupid animals that can be provoked into a mindless panic...

A few days later in the U.S. and then across much of the world, there was panic buying of toilet paper and it disappeared almost completely from store shelves.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2020, 9:53 pm

I went to the movie theater and watched another film today. This makes #5 since the theaters reopened after lockdown. It was really crowded today. There were two other people in attendance to the showing.

On the way in, I chatted with the ticket taker a little. Since this was an AMC theater, I asked about the upgraded to MERV 13 air filters. He said yes, the theater recently installed this change. Then I asked about the electrostatic sprayers. He said you mean one of these. He held up a unit that looked a little like a small vacuum cleaner and showed it to me.

It was just me and my N95 enjoying life. Stay safe everyone.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2020, 4:22 pm