Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

TT1660
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Oct 2023, 4:17 am

Joe90 wrote:
I'm not going to lie; I do get a little frustrated when people can't spell or write out their posts properly. I know they probably don't mean it (although some people do actually have their own way of spelling certain words even if they know it's not spelt that way, and I'm not talking about American-English). And I try not to be rude to them.
But as a person who is rather perfectionist when it comes to writing posts, I do get a little irked at how other people can just post and not be bugged by any typos. And with technology of today most computers and phones have things like spell-check and autocorrect, so I thought that would be a good help to make people's posts more readable if they do struggle with writing.

it duss annoy me as well wen folks type awe fully. But it's more like an obsession of mine. theyre are pet hates/specific wuns witch gets on my nerves. I check everything, and get annoyed when I put a character in the wrong order/whatever. i tend 2s wotch every characters inputed like itz a's contest without a firsts pries.

Seriously, I couldn't even bring myself to submitting 'dose' (common mispelling of does). This isn't very consistent. but dat teh space time continyou u.m

.I have a habit of including the offending words in a follow up sentence. ie ur grammer is terryble, or don't tempt me to type anutter sentance, due to the probability of suboptimal grammar.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2023, 4:26 am

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Keeping in mind that this is an autism forum, and that autistic people have different capabilities and comorbids could be helpful. I sometimes see higher functioning people get frustrated and act rude when someone posts something they can't read properly, or when someone goes on a tangent, like the person has decided to have problems writing things and staying on topic.

There's no problem with asking people to reiterate and stay on topic, and if you still can't understand them or they won't stay on topic, then there's also no issue with just leaving the discussion instead of being rude and making fun of them, and thus discouraging people from posting here or learning how to better their communication skills.

I agree with this, idk I think I even contacted a mod about posts being too long from one poster, but they explained that person has some like various issues and brain problems so they are probably just posting to the best of their ability and I should be more understanding. which yeah when it was put that way I did feel like kind of an ass for being so critical about how they post.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2023, 5:22 am

JustFoundHere wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:
Posts with 100 words (or less) with three paragraph-breaks are more likely to pique interest than wordy posts with very little in the way of paragraph-breaks.

Wordy content might even discourage readers from otherwise important content!

ADDENDUM: It can be difficult to organize posts - hence it can be natural to develop wordy-content. It's best to organize posts based-on the gist of what previous posters are communicating - hence guidance on posting content of 100 words or less.

Lengthy WP content is difficult to read. Understanding the gist of content is most difficult of all - esp. on account of no paragraph breaks.

Paragraph-breaks alone can boost interest - which can subsequently be reflected here on WP!

Hence proofreading before posting content might just make all of the difference!

I agree. Although I try to read more lengthy posts to understand what has been said already in a thread, sometimes people go on way too long and need to be more concise.

Like, I'll be bored if somebody just posts a wall of text and if they do that for every post? I'm probably not going to read all of that persons contributions, wherever I see them posted.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 Oct 2023, 7:51 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:
Posts with 100 words (or less) with three paragraph-breaks are more likely to pique interest than wordy posts with very little in the way of paragraph-breaks.

ADDENDUM: It can be difficult to organize posts - hence it can be natural to develop wordy-content. It's best to organize posts based-on the gist of what previous posters are communicating - hence guidance on posting content of 100 words or less.

Lengthy WP content is difficult to read. Understanding the gist of content is most difficult of all - esp. on account of no paragraph breaks.

Paragraph-breaks alone can boost interest - which can subsequently be reflected here on WP!

Hence proofreading before posting content might just make all of the difference!

I agree. Although I try to read more lengthy posts to understand what has been said already in a thread, sometimes people go on way too long and need to be more concise.

Like, I'll be bored if somebody just posts a wall of text and if they do that for every post? I'm probably not going to read all of that persons contributions, wherever I see them posted.
I have these issues when postimg sometimes but I also sometimes find it annoying in others :oops: Perhaps the issue is due to my ADD & dyslexia. I have the attention span of a gnat. It's hard for me to stay focused when posting but also hard for me to follow long posts. These days I have a habit of starting to type long replies & after going off topic & rambling for a bit I decide to abandon them. I tend to avoid reading longer posts if I'm not very interested in the topic & I skip posts & replies I have problems understanding.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2023, 8:31 am

nick007 wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:

I have these issues when postimg sometimes but I also sometimes find it annoying in others :oops: Perhaps the issue is due to my ADD & dyslexia. I have the attention span of a gnat. It's hard for me to stay focused when posting but also hard for me to follow long posts. These days I have a habit of starting to type long replies & after going off topic & rambling for a bit I decide to abandon them. I tend to avoid reading longer posts if I'm not very interested in the topic & I skip posts & replies I have problems understanding.

I try to read your posts Nick and often do so successfully, but sometimes they are indeed a teensy bit long. :wink:

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2023, 9:42 am

Potential steps to reduce confusion here on WP:

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2023, 9:51 am

Recidivist wrote:
Potential steps to reduce confusion here on WP:

Haha.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2023, 11:19 pm

No one is obligated to read any post. I pretty much just post what I want or need to say in whatever way seems right to me at the time and people can read or not read if they want to. Depending on what one needs to say, a long post might be necessary.

Members have different posting styles. There's nothing wrong with that. Not every style is going to appeal to all people. There's nothing wrong with that, either. Variety is the spice of life. Sometimes I ask people for clarification if I don't understand what they posted.

I have no issues with grammar or spelling mistakes. Some of us have learning difficulties. Some aren't native English speakers. A little patience and understanding go a long way.

David1346
Raven
Raven

07 Jan 2024, 3:18 pm

nick007 wrote:
I think it would help if we tried to keep in mind that when somebody is expressing a complaint or issue or problem with a certain type of person, the OP is partly venting their frustration to blow off steam & they do NOT mean that they believe all people are like that in negative ways.

Well said.

I only find length important when the OP writes a really long post consisting of one incredibly long paragraph without a single complete sentence. In trying to understand what this person was saying, I get lost without having paragraphs to indicate a transition to another idea.

Writing these. In incomplete sentences. Is also. Incredibly distracting.

TT1660
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jan 2024, 11:28 am

its common on social media where the OP write excessively long post which goes forever and does not have any commas or full stops at reasonable intervals to make it easier for folks to comprehend without overloading their brains etc when it becomes annoying and you feel like reporting the post in question only to have it rejected and when one has the impulse to type like this in a sentence of paragraph and likewise and you end up extending it involuntarily just because you cant come up with anything else at 1am in the morning because one is ridden with anxiety about their wellbeing and is slightly concerned about waking up dead not that its very likely at this stage but you get what i mean if you have read it this far you have don well so excuse the missing character in the post because i went to korrekt it but couldnt be bothered so i went on typing impulsively for even longer in an attempt to send the reader insane and this post is just making more and more awake so perhaps its time to adjourn can resume typing at some point in future