imposter syndrome and the fear of seeking a diagnosis

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

mutalune
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Feb 2022, 4:51 am

long time lurker, first time posting - I had an appt with a new psychiatrist who, after I expressed my concerns that my difficulties may not be something that can be solved through medication (As in i p much went “hey doc here’s a color coded list I put together of symptoms/problems I have and what diagnoses they could line up with and also here’s the my raads-r EQ AQ CAT-Q scores and I’m really thinking a lot of my ‘depression’ might be burnout and we should adjust my meds accordingly”) she was pretty darn encouraging about getting me tested for autism and/or adhd

Which is great! I think.

I’ve suspected that I may be autistic for the last year or so after researching and finding out autism isn’t just for little-kids-who-are-really-big-fans-of-trains. Every online diagnostic test, I’ve scored way above the threshold for autism (I even accounted for me having a case of confirmation bias and subtracted 20% from my scores - I still was well above the threshold value!), and everything I’ve read (diagnostic criteria + anecdotes/stories from the autistic community) really resonates - especially the sensory issues, which growing up, my family brushed off as me being a “sensitive kid who needs to grow up and get over it” except I literally still want to cry every time I touch cardboard and go almost catatonic when my friends drag me out to bars/clubs.

Basically, autism would explain a lot for me. Even before I was thinking this might apply to me, I made a point of following some advice that other semi-late-diagnosed autistics have shared online and it has helped a lot. (a big one is recognizing the difference between depression and autistic burnout - i used to force myself to socialize when I felt godawful b/c that’s what my therapist said helps with depression, but ever since I started taking time for myself when I feel that awful and I’d decrease sensory input around me, I haven’t had any more depressive episodes….)

So. All of this being said, and noting that I went into this appointment hoping that the new doc would refer me for an assessment - Why am I suddenly panicking? I walked out of that appt feeling like I was a horrible human for even bringing this up to the new doc, because there’s a voice in my head going “CLEARLY I’m faking this and want the assessment for attention. I’ve made up all of the difficulties I’ve had with feeling like I’ve never been on the same page as anyone else and the low tolerance I have for social events/activities because everyone else thinks I’m doing fine and even the people who know me best think I’m a personable, empathetic, and great-at-socializing woman. So even though internally I know how much work and effort and energy goes into presenting that facade, CLEARLY I’m faking it and am actually a terrible human being…”

it’s the same way I feel at work when I’m wondering if I’m actually qualified for what I’m doing or if I tricked everyone into thinking I’m more competent than I am.

imposter syndrome is a gd pain.

how am I supposed to know if i’m “overthinking the situation and am clearly exaggerating things b/c I want to get assessed and diagnosed - the friends I brought this up to p much laughed at me for even suspecting ASD” OR if this is actually “a reasonable suspicion to have and my perception of my struggles has mostly been internal so why would my friends agree with me, I’ve been trained to mask not only my neuroatypical traits but also just my own opinions due to a sh***y childhood where sharing my own thoughts/feelings was frowned up, the imposter Syndrome is clearly just anxiety and fear”

So with that, I’m now nervous that I’m going to get this evaluation done and either 1) not get a true response b/c I’ve been considered “decently successful” in most areas of my life or 2) get a true response but that true response is “you’re not autistic, life and socializing and everything is just hard for you and there’s no reason other than you suck at it by default and have to work at it”

I guess I finally got the courage to post b/c I badly want to know if other women or AFAB individuals experienced/are experiencing similar doubts towards their self-diagnoses and if there’s anyone who felt this way and then received a diagnosis, and if it was worth getting evaluated.

Thanks in advance - this has been weighing on me for a long time so any input/response will be appreciated

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2022, 10:05 pm

Initially I didn't think I was autistic (I am outgoing, empathetic, a good communicator: Ask, Don't Assume). I took the AQ for fun and was very surprised. Initially I didn't think I stimmed or had strange eye contact or was anxious or anything. Then I realized what NTs consider normal (less fidgeting, 10-second responses during conversation, intermittent eye contact, less concerns about personal responsibility) and it became clear. I was Autistic (without "intellectual or physical impairment"). I went through my childhood memories (and letters) and made notes sorted by physical, emotional and social differences. I provided the list to my evaluator and later a list about trauma that he prompted. I received a diagnosis more "easily" than I expected. It was a relief and overwhelming.

BTW - I did not meet the ADOS-2 threshold for ASD (I missed the "gold standard" by 1 point), one study suggested that the ADOS-2 gives a false negative for 33% of adult ASD women. It's important to get an evaluator who is familiar with adult ASD women who won't be put off by subclinical ADOS-2 score.

My likely-ASD daughter was not given an ASD diagnosis (IMHO b/c she is young and was not in "sufficient" crisis at the time) and I am seeking a second opinion. I am concerned the evaluator didn't see through my different perspective (and years of masking). The second go around I will be more clear "when I say she's 'flexible' it's relative to... you would call this 'rigid'." My ASD BFF and I agree that it feels like cheating to tell evaluators what they need to hear, but if it's not a good evaluator, then it's simply necessary.

Here's hoping you have a good evaluator (as I did). If not persevere as clearly you have in your life.

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2022, 10:21 pm

Even if the pro diagnosed me, I'd still have the doubts. I have a trust issue, even with myself. I've completed all the tests, being as honest with my self as possible. I've used both dsm-iv and -v definitions. I've interviewed friends and family. If I get a chance to be professionally diagnosed, I will jump at the chance. Otherwise, I'm good with the self-diagnoses and that's the important part.

aviandivine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Feb 2022, 10:48 am

When I went in for a diagnosis at 19 I was told I was too creative to be autistic. It was disheartening. Then, as I was processing, I realized that I had been infantilized every step of the way. When I walked into the clinic, they had to grab one of the "parent chairs" aka normal, adult-sized chairs for me to sit in. The chairs for the patients were all child-sized. The doctors used the high-pitched baby and puppy voice at me which I did not like. After thinking about it, I realized that I don't need a diagnosis and I can continue to be who I am and who I know I am. I hope you find inner peace no matter the outcome of your visit.

crystalline71
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Feb 2022, 11:10 am

I relate very, very much to the fear that if I go in for an assessment, I'll either feel dismissed or I might be told, nope, not autistic. Turns out you just suck at neurotypical life for no reason.

Looks like I'm older than you and while I've had some therapy, autism never came up. Ptsd, cptsd, one therapist said dysthymia, but not autism. I also tried to broach the subject with a few friends and was mostly shot down. Yet after taking every online assessment I can find and listening to more and more stories of late diagnosed women, I'm increasingly convinced that this is true for me. Yet I've also been taught my whole life not to trust myself so it's incredibly stressful to think of talking to a professional. I heard an autistic therapist on a podcast saying that support groups may be better for autistic adults than therapy, but I'm not sure if i can join a support group being only self diagnosed. I probably would benefit from connecting with other autistic adults though I'm not a terribly social person. But with NTs, i think my masking skills are waning with age as i just feel more and more tired of putting in all that effort. But another part of me wants so much to avoid any more therapists that I think maybe i should just stay self diagnosed and do with that whatever I can.

I think I'd feel more confident going into it with a referral but i can understand the anxiety and even the distrust of yourself and of how accurately you present yourself to others.

Last edited by crystalline71 on 12 Feb 2022, 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

crystalline71
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Feb 2022, 11:15 am

PS. Learning about autistic burn out and why some other standard forms of advice don't work for autistic people has been a big deal for me too.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 11:11 pm

crystalline71 wrote:
I relate very, very much to the fear that if I go in for an assessment, I'll either feel dismissed or I might be told, nope, not autistic. Turns out you just suck at neurotypical life for no reason.

Looks like I'm older than you and while I've had some therapy, autism never came up. Ptsd, cptsd, one therapist said dysthymia, but not autism. I also tried to broach the subject with a few friends and was mostly shot down. Yet after taking every online assessment I can find and listening to more and more stories of late diagnosed women, I'm increasingly convinced that this is true for me. Yet I've also been taught my whole life not to trust myself so it's incredibly stressful to think of talking to a professional. I heard an autistic therapist on a podcast saying that support groups may be better for autistic adults than therapy, but I'm not sure if i can join a support group being only self diagnosed. I probably would benefit from connecting with other autistic adults though I'm not a terribly social person. But with NTs, i think my masking skills are waning with age as i just feel more and more tired of putting in all that effort. But another part of me wants so much to avoid any more therapists that I think maybe i should just stay self diagnosed and do with that whatever I can.

I think I'd feel more confident going into it with a referral but i can understand the anxiety and even the distrust of yourself and of how accurately you present yourself to others.

Many if not most support groups accept the self-diagnosed.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

crystalline71
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Feb 2022, 8:54 am

ASPartOfMe, thanks for that note, good to know.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2022, 5:23 pm

crystalline71 wrote:
ASPartOfMe, thanks for that note, good to know.

You are welcome.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2022, 1:04 pm

Autistic peer-led support groups are even more likely than professional-led support groups to accept self-dx'd people, or anyone who faces a lot of the same challenges as autistic people and suspects they might be autistic.

Professional-led support groups are less likely to be comfortable with the idea of self-diagnosis per se, but many of them do accept people who "suspect they might be" autistic, and will support you through the process of seeking a diagnosis.

One thing to keep in mind here is that autism is not a single, specific condition. It's just a way of categorizing people based on behavioral traits. There are likely hundreds, maybe even thousands, of different specific underlying conditions. The science is still quite young.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2022, 1:36 pm

aviandivine wrote:
When I went in for a diagnosis at 19 I was told I was too creative to be autistic. It was disheartening. Then, as I was processing, I realized that I had been infantilized every step of the way. When I walked into the clinic, they had to grab one of the "parent chairs" aka normal, adult-sized chairs for me to sit in. The chairs for the patients were all child-sized. The doctors used the high-pitched baby and puppy voice at me which I did not like. After thinking about it, I realized that I don't need a diagnosis and I can continue to be who I am and who I know I am. I hope you find inner peace no matter the outcome of your visit.

this baby talk may be an even bigger issue with dementia than it is with autism. I only have experience with one dementia sufferer, but the whole room said I was good with old people after the first visit, and by the second or third figured it was more about them being really bad with old people, and the babytalk issue accounted for most of this problem. This Centerion was having none of it, just nope...

Edit: but ABA may be rife with this issue too, and has a lot of potential to mix open hostility with the baby talk, and then call it positive reinforcement badly.

regardless, to heck with babytalk., good reply aviandivine, and good OP to inspire it. My first impression with you mutalune is ADHD dominant, as you sound so much like my rambling inner voice - but thats just entertainment for all of us and in no way excludes autism.

ComfortablyQuiet
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Feb 2022, 11:30 am

mutalune wrote:
long time lurker, first time posting - I had an appt with a new psychiatrist who, after I expressed my concerns that my difficulties may not be something that can be solved through medication (As in i p much went “hey doc here’s a color coded list I put together of symptoms/problems I have and what diagnoses they could line up with and also here’s the my raads-r EQ AQ CAT-Q scores and I’m really thinking a lot of my ‘depression’ might be burnout and we should adjust my meds accordingly”) she was pretty darn encouraging about getting me tested for autism and/or adhd

Which is great! I think.

I’ve suspected that I may be autistic for the last year or so after researching and finding out autism isn’t just for little-kids-who-are-really-big-fans-of-trains. Every online diagnostic test, I’ve scored way above the threshold for autism (I even accounted for me having a case of confirmation bias and subtracted 20% from my scores - I still was well above the threshold value!), and everything I’ve read (diagnostic criteria + anecdotes/stories from the autistic community) really resonates - especially the sensory issues, which growing up, my family brushed off as me being a “sensitive kid who needs to grow up and get over it” except I literally still want to cry every time I touch cardboard and go almost catatonic when my friends drag me out to bars/clubs.

Basically, autism would explain a lot for me. Even before I was thinking this might apply to me, I made a point of following some advice that other semi-late-diagnosed autistics have shared online and it has helped a lot. (a big one is recognizing the difference between depression and autistic burnout - i used to force myself to socialize when I felt godawful b/c that’s what my therapist said helps with depression, but ever since I started taking time for myself when I feel that awful and I’d decrease sensory input around me, I haven’t had any more depressive episodes….)

So. All of this being said, and noting that I went into this appointment hoping that the new doc would refer me for an assessment - Why am I suddenly panicking? I walked out of that appt feeling like I was a horrible human for even bringing this up to the new doc, because there’s a voice in my head going “CLEARLY I’m faking this and want the assessment for attention. I’ve made up all of the difficulties I’ve had with feeling like I’ve never been on the same page as anyone else and the low tolerance I have for social events/activities because everyone else thinks I’m doing fine and even the people who know me best think I’m a personable, empathetic, and great-at-socializing woman. So even though internally I know how much work and effort and energy goes into presenting that facade, CLEARLY I’m faking it and am actually a terrible human being…”

it’s the same way I feel at work when I’m wondering if I’m actually qualified for what I’m doing or if I tricked everyone into thinking I’m more competent than I am.

imposter syndrome is a gd pain.

how am I supposed to know if i’m “overthinking the situation and am clearly exaggerating things b/c I want to get assessed and diagnosed - the friends I brought this up to p much laughed at me for even suspecting ASD” OR if this is actually “a reasonable suspicion to have and my perception of my struggles has mostly been internal so why would my friends agree with me, I’ve been trained to mask not only my neuroatypical traits but also just my own opinions due to a sh***y childhood where sharing my own thoughts/feelings was frowned up, the imposter Syndrome is clearly just anxiety and fear”

So with that, I’m now nervous that I’m going to get this evaluation done and either 1) not get a true response b/c I’ve been considered “decently successful” in most areas of my life or 2) get a true response but that true response is “you’re not autistic, life and socializing and everything is just hard for you and there’s no reason other than you suck at it by default and have to work at it”

I guess I finally got the courage to post b/c I badly want to know if other women or AFAB individuals experienced/are experiencing similar doubts towards their self-diagnoses and if there’s anyone who felt this way and then received a diagnosis, and if it was worth getting evaluated.

Thanks in advance - this has been weighing on me for a long time so any input/response will be appreciated

I just want to add that reading your post was a bit like reading my own mind.

I'm early 30's, and just beginning this process... But as many other women have said here, I have privately wondered and been questioning if I am autistic for the last ten or so years. I mostly just accepted I was introverted and probably just a bit weird (which may still very well be true :D ). I think, I've made it this far, I have a long term partner, I have a job which I enjoy and I'm seemingly getting on alright, so why do I need to look into this? And then I remember just how HARD everything is, and how much longer it has taken me to reach all of these milestones in my life - despite being otherwise able.

If anything as well, the pandemic and being in lockdown really made me aware of how much I prefer my own company and my own (+ partner) space. A lot of people I know really struggled, but I loved it, and not having to endure seeing people and putting on a face, and feeling constantly ground down and overwhelmed was freeing in a way I would have otherwise never appreciated.

Yet with all of that being said, I still doubt myself. Even when my partner says (endearingly I shall add), "there's another of your autistic traits", I still think, am I overthinking this? Am I really just a grumpy b***h that seemingly doesn't like most people? Am I just trying to find a way to excuse my disdain for the outside world?

It's natural to think you're imposing when you're otherwise doing okay. You're holding down a job, you have a home, maybe a person you love or even children. But it's not just about achieving or even having those things, it's about the sheer herculean effort it took to being able to obtain and then maintain those things.

(Sorry this turned into a bit of a ramble!)

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2022, 5:29 pm

ComfortablyQuiet wrote:
...It's natural to think you're imposing when you're otherwise doing okay. You're holding down a job, you have a home, maybe a person you love or even children. But it's not just about achieving or even having those things, it's about the sheer herculean effort it took to being able to obtain and then maintain those things.

(Sorry this turned into a bit of a ramble!)

I for one love your ramble. It hits home in a big way.

Outwardly I am a sufficient "success" and yet that same "success" means that inwardly I am suffering deeply every day. I am hoping some skills to regulate my emotions more quickly alongside pragmatic speech ("let me take a moment to consider that") will help me until my life demands are a bit less (for example, when I'm less "successful" :P ).

By the way, the school nurse just told me that my 10yo daughter (whom she adores and I have long suspected has ASD) is quiet, except she doesn't like attention. She is ComfortablyQuiet when alone, but UncomfortablyQuiet when peppered with questions or attention (demands) from others. :wink:

Welcome to WP.

ComfortablyQuiet
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Feb 2022, 7:15 pm

SharonB wrote:
I for one love your ramble. It hits home in a big way.

Outwardly I am a sufficient "success" and yet that same "success" means that inwardly I am suffering deeply every day. I am hoping some skills to regulate my emotions more quickly alongside pragmatic speech ("let me take a moment to consider that") will help me until my life demands are a bit less (for example, when I'm less "successful" :P ).

By the way, the school nurse just told me that my 10yo daughter (whom she adores and I have long suspected has ASD) is quiet, except she doesn't like attention. She is ComfortablyQuiet when alone, but UncomfortablyQuiet when peppered with questions or attention (demands) from others. :wink:

Welcome to WP.

I need to learn the art of pragmatic speech... The more I learn about autistic habits or behaviours, the more aware I have become of how much I do them. Then I get caught up in this post-coversation cycle of "WHY DID I HAVE TO SAY THAT? 8O )

Well, I hope you're able to fine some time to unwind and be whatever you want you to be.

Huh, yeah... I was struggling to come up with a good username and it sprung to my mind as yeah, this is me. Uncomfortably Quiet is definitely a thing, too much of a thing often. So many people just do not appreciate that not everyone wants or needs constant conversation or company, or enforced socialisation. I'm perfectly fine sitting quietly and doing my thing, and more than happy to avoid anything that involves more than four people.

Thank you for the welcome!

crystalline71
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Feb 2022, 8:14 pm

Quote:
If anything as well, the pandemic and being in lockdown really made me aware of how much I prefer my own company and my own (+ partner) space. A lot of people I know really struggled, but I loved it, and not having to endure seeing people and putting on a face, and feeling constantly ground down and overwhelmed was freeing in a way I would have otherwise never appreciated.

I felt the same about lockdown and that's one thing that led me to question my autistic traits again. My husband and I were fortunate, I realize, not to struggle the way many people did but for me lockdown was heaven. I prefer most covid protocols too. I don't mind masking in public places and much prefer people around me wearing them during cold and flu season. I loved when crowd sizes were limited and when people had to keep their distance. I was totally fine staying in--and when we had to go out, it was so much less overwhelming…for awhile. I'm not necessarily proud of it but it's just true that I didn't miss anyone or any social activity at all for well over a year… and even now when most people I know have gone back to normal, I question how much 'normal' I want to get back to.

Quote:
Outwardly I am a sufficient "success" and yet that same "success" means that inwardly I am suffering deeply every day. I am hoping some skills to regulate my emotions more quickly alongside pragmatic speech ("let me take a moment to consider that")

Even though I understand that it comes at a price, I feel a bit of envy of autistic women with successful careers—if that's the kind of success you mean. I work part-time and I'm good at my job but it's not rocket science and I think people consider me an underachiever, despite having been labeled gifted and all that. In one way, I'm okay with it. Even if I had fewer challenges, more social stamina, etc, I might still prefer a relatively undemanding job and as much personal free time as I could afford to take. But it doesn't always feel like a choice because it's always been so taxing for me to maintain full-time hours at any job I've ever had.

I could stand to practice using more of that pragmatic speech stuff too.

PS. Thanks Mona for that additional note about support groups. I can't say with 100% confidence that I'm autistic but I can say without doubt I have many of the same challenges.

Kt.Kpop
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Feb 2022, 5:57 pm

I dont know about the rest of y'all but my Psych Eval was two days, both days being 8 hours. They gave me multiple tests: IQ tests, sensory tests, personality test, grammar test, multiple choice questions, and multiple interviews). I felt very confident that the results would be accurate - and they were.

My first Psych Eval though, 12 years ago, showed all the traits of autism (depression, anxiety, OCD, problems with social interactions, etc.) but they never diagnosed me with the umbrella term of ASD. Instead, I was diagnosed with 6 other things.

Do NOT feel like a fake or an imposter. You want answers to better understand yourself, and self-improvement is a good thing. Just relax and be yourself, and communicate with the testing place/person so they can understand your needs and concerns.