Adaptogens : Preventive Buffer for stressful circumstances

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

RutRoh
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Feb 2022, 2:48 pm

Turn back ten years into this story, and I am working, doing well (tops in my field production wise), but a target by coworkers due to my atypical wiring.

I was not even aware that I was on the spectrum back then, but co-workers were oh so aware I was different.
I was in emotional danger multiple times a week, of having a meltdown that would go beyond the quiet inner fire, to tears that others may have seen. I had to actually exit building and sit in my car.

Enter Rhodiola. This is an amazing adaptogen that somehow just makes you feel that things are in perspective. Like the other person said, you feel like you imagine others without Aspergers/Autism must feel. Thinking becomes clearer. One person said he could tell when I was on it for I didn't seem tired/pale. You just have more energy. Feel healthier.

I had forgotten about those benefits, as I have been removed from that toxic workforce and thus stopped using that adaptogen. Now I am faced with life threatening health challenges for a family member, and though the person is calm and a matter of fact about it, I am a wreck. I will be going back on my Rhodiola, and looking forward to this taking the stress off my shoulders a bit. It's just enough to manager.

Just so you know in my experience... I found I had to use a 100 mg pill and shave a bit off the capsule contents. I am roughly best at 75mg of Rhodiola. One friend thought more was better, and did a 300 mg pill and regretted it... ha... I warned her. I may add some ashwagandha to that for evening, with just a bit, and working up higher (I use empty capsules to find the sweet spot for myself in regards to dosage).

How many here have experienced benefits of adaptogens?
Have others found other natural help in dealing with stress?

Prior to remembering that help I had back then, from the Rhodiola... I was actually considering legal marijuana to see if something could chill me out. I wasn't too eager to go that route, for I do not like how that makes me feel (munchy, unrpedictable responses, out of it and definitely unable to drive etc). So I am rather happy that I recalled the adaptogen benefit.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2022, 8:26 am

I might have to give rhodiola a try to see what I think of it. I've had mixed results with ashwagandha in the past, myself.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2022, 8:33 am

Results are questionable. Could be placebo. Or minimal effect. I've tried them.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2022, 8:47 am

I may try someday.

Though, all of it are quite expensive for me.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2022, 8:56 am

It's £10 a bottle. (30/60 capsules depends on manufacturer, sometimes you can get 90 capsules for say £15. )Are you completely broke? Yeah, most people consider such things a waste of money.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2022, 9:02 am

Herbal supplements can be very hit or miss, which I gather is because they aren't held up to the same quality standards that "real" drugs are. I've taken things that I felt actually did a bit of something, as well as things that just completely felt like snake oil.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2022, 9:12 am

theprisoner wrote:
It's £10 a bottle. (30/60 capsules depends on manufacturer, sometimes you can get 90 capsules for say £15. )Are you completely broke? Yeah, most people consider such things a waste of money.

Just disproportionately economically at odds.

£10 is equivalent to at least 3 to 6+ days total worth of my salary. Provided I spent zero the entire week or so.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2022, 9:16 am

Well, I spent like £200+ on supplements last year. All around same time. When i told some relatives, they was like Wtf....Me: :shrug: I wanted them. :shrug: Not rich either...but yeah. I wanted them. :lol: I deemed them necessary for my health,at the time. A worthwhile purchase, or experiment. :shrug:

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2022, 9:27 am

theprisoner wrote:
Well, I spent like £200+ on supplements last year. All around same time. When i told some relatives, they was like Wtf....Me: :shrug: I wanted them. :shrug: Not rich either...but yeah. I wanted them. :lol: I deemed them necessary for my health,at the time. A worthwhile purchase, or experiment. :shrug:

:lol: I have a list of yet to experiment with purchases that's never been brought and tried out for a good 10 years now.

It's this crap of a cycle between unhealthy coping with stress due to executive dysfunction, stress due to executive dysfunction, executive dysfunction due to stress, and weekly hormonal changes that won't allow me to change unhealthy habits and copings with stress.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2022, 1:05 pm

Oh yeah for sure, cannabis, magic mushrooms, and then tons of antifungal herbs and oils - oregano oil, grapefruit seed extract, garlic, apple cider vinegar, turmeric & black pepper, coconut oil, onions, mushrooms, fibre, slippery elm, burdock root, some red bark I forget the name of right now etc etc. All plants are medicinal.

Edna3362 wrote:
theprisoner wrote:

:lol: I have a list of yet to experiment with purchases that's never been brought and tried out for a good 10 years now.

It's this crap of a cycle between unhealthy coping with stress due to executive dysfunction, stress due to executive dysfunction, executive dysfunction due to stress, and weekly hormonal changes that won't allow me to change unhealthy habits and copings with stress.

The biggest thing I found to help with executive dysfunction and anxiety wasn't a plant at all, but rather, minerals. Epsom salts on my skin for the magnesium and sulphur required to absorb and be available in my body to bind to excess food acids in order to urinate them out. The first time I started using epsom salts on my skin was life changing over a period of ~5 days. Worst depression, anxiety, and executive dysfunction of my life that had persisted for 5+ months was all but completely gone in 5 days. Costs about $10 cdn for 4kg that lasts for months.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2022, 1:31 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
theprisoner wrote:

Just disproportionately economically at odds.

£10 is equivalent to at least 3 to 6+ days total worth of my salary. Provided I spent zero the entire week or so.

£10 is equivalent to a number of minutes of my salary, not hours, days or weeks. If you have a short list of things you've been wanting to try for a decade but the constraint is $ that'd take you months or longer to save and you've identified what you REALLY want to try and think may have the greatest impact on your health and well being, feel free to PM me and I'll fund it. Bonus if you're willing to share with the forum what things you tried and whether they worked or not and how you feel for it. I'd way rather splash cash on something of potential real world value like this than a meal or drinks out on the town. (I live where it cost me $95 cdn to buy three hamburgers with sides of deep fried jalapenos and bottles of soda.) Seriously - if you have a shopping list you'd like to give a go, shoot me a pm and we'll figure out what it costs where you live & how I can transfer funds. :)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2022, 1:44 am

No. No more drugs... please.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2022, 1:59 am

There is not enough evidence from studies in people to allow conclusions to be reached about whether rhodiola is helpful for any health-related use. Amateur testimonials are irrelevant.