Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2022, 4:35 am

I've been taking the contraceptive pill since I was 18 because of extremely painful periods that were effecting my life, and I haven't suffered unbearable cramps with periods ever since, only mildly and bearable. But this morning I woke up with period cramps that were so unbearable that I had to take painkillers. This has been the first time in about 13 years since I've had a period cramps this painful.

Is this anything to worry about? Can the pill outrun its effect? I haven't even started the period yet, it's due this week but not for a couple of days. I have had period cramps at this time of the cycle before but never this bad.

Why can't it be a migraine instead? I can cope with them. I've mopped 30 coaches for 4 hours straight with a splitting migraine before and could still bear it. If that had been this period cramps I would have had to go home. I can't bear any pain around the tummy area. :(

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2022, 8:40 am

It might not be anything.....but I sense that you should probably make an appointment with your GP.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2022, 3:49 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I've been taking the contraceptive pill since I was 18 because of extremely painful periods that were effecting my life, and I haven't suffered unbearable cramps with periods ever since, only mildly and bearable. But this morning I woke up with period cramps that were so unbearable that I had to take painkillers. This has been the first time in about 13 years since I've had a period cramps this painful.

Is this anything to worry about? Can the pill outrun its effect? I haven't even started the period yet, it's due this week but not for a couple of days. I have had period cramps at this time of the cycle before but never this bad.

Why can't it be a migraine instead? I can cope with them. I've mopped 30 coaches for 4 hours straight with a splitting migraine before and could still bear it. If that had been this period cramps I would have had to go home. I can't bear any pain around the tummy area. :(

Could be a hormonal thing. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the pill as I've never taken it but I know that hormonal changes can have an effect on period cramps.

Monitor it and see your gp if you think it is a cause for concern.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2022, 6:54 pm

I do hate going to the doctor's, as I always worry I'm wasting their time even if my complaint is as valid as the next patient's. Also I'm overdue for a smear test but I'm still awaiting therapy for that, as I have a crippling fear of anything being inserted between my legs. I've tried smear tests before and it was so painful that we had to terminate the procedure. I'm also scared to be sedated because of the fear of being unable to control bowel movements. I suffer severe embarrassment when it comes to butts. Talking about female stuff here with guys reading it is 100% less embarrassing for me than farting. I know it's normal to fart and all that cliched stuff I get told but it doesn't make it any less undignifying. Just because something is physically normal doesn't make it less embarrassing.

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2022, 4:46 pm

Joe90 wrote:

I’d suggest going to the GP like Kraftie did. Do you find that stress makes yours worse bc I know this Russia stuff has been really stressing you out. I’m asking bc when I’m extra stressed I can’t even stand bc of the intense pain of period cramps that month.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2022, 5:05 pm

Mine became awful and it turns out it was my thyroid.It quit.Once I started a daily thyroid pill the cramps went back to normal.
If it’s just once I wouldn’t worry but if it happens every period you should get checked out.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2022, 1:21 am

I don't want to go to the doctor's because they'll just do a smear test and I can't have them. They're too painful and I'm too scared and embarrassed to tell the doctor in case they think I'm stupid or immature, like a member here once said.

I've tried smear tests several times but have failed to complete the procedure because it was too painful. People don't understand how painful it is, and it isn't even a pain I can 'just bear through', it is a terrifying, agonizing, traumatic pain that feels like there's a rusty knife being shoved up there and piercing my bladder. I just can't face it, as I am extremely pain sensitive. People just don't understand. :cry:

Judging by the answers in this thread though, it looks like it could be cancer. How can I have ovarian cancer detected without having a smear test?

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2022, 7:38 am

Joe90 wrote:
I don't want to go to the doctor's because they'll just do a smear test and I can't have them. They're too painful and I'm too scared and embarrassed to tell the doctor in case they think I'm stupid or immature, like a member here once said.

I've tried smear tests several times but have failed to complete the procedure because it was too painful. People don't understand how painful it is, and it isn't even a pain I can 'just bear through', it is a terrifying, agonizing, traumatic pain that feels like there's a rusty knife being shoved up there and piercing my bladder. I just can't face it, as I am extremely pain sensitive. People just don't understand. :cry:

Judging by the answers in this thread though, it looks like it could be cancer. How can I have ovarian cancer detected without having a smear test?

Joe90, as someone who always assumes I have cancer, I understand the fear . However it probably isn’t cancer as there is a tonne of stuff that can mess with our menstrual cycle. Maybe if you go to the GP u coukd ask if there are any other tests they could do except for the smear test? Because if your age they’ll probably check your hormones first and you might be able to get an ultrasound. I think it’s worth going to the doctor about. If I’m the worse case scenario you do have to have a smear test, maybe ask if they could give you some numbing and explain your situation. Wishing you all the best.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2022, 11:26 am

I had my third covid jab the end of December and ever since then my periods have been noticeably more painful, especially in the days before the period starts. I don't know if it is to do with the vaccine or not, but it seems a little strange.
I know some women do suffer side effects when they first take the 7-day break from the pill, like my mum used to get bad migraines. But I've only just started getting these bad cramps when I start my break.

I don't have more bleeding or anything, my periods are still light. It's just the pains that are unbearable. If I get the same pains again next month I will see the doctor. Maybe she'll feel my lower abdomen for any unusual lumps, or maybe I can ask if I can be sedated for a smear test, even if I have to pay (which I don't think you do).

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2022, 12:35 am

I was on the pill briefly in my 20s and again in my 30s and my sister was on the pill for many decades. Both of us have had times with severe or mild cramps. My severe cramps started at the onset and were not attributed to anything, but I did have a fibroid tumor and uterine septum removed in my 30s. I also had problems after the pill both times. By my 40s my cramps had disappeared. My (NT) sister had severe cramps start in her 40s. I have yet to ask if they lessened or if there was an explanation. I just figured it's one of those things since my flow has (and cramps have) changed so many times over the past decades.

I remember that first smear. I jumped up on the table. Once my expectations were set, I tolerate it. I'm a redhead and nurses have told me that redheads are very sensitive, bleed a lot and have a high tolerance for pain. My medical history seems to agree with that.

Wishing you find a way for it to be tolerable, or that the risk without those tests is acceptable. Cramps, cramps go away! As with all things: monitor severity and frequency --- when one of those tips the scale, see your GP.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2022, 3:34 pm

I am lacking the key symptoms of ovarian cancer. I know you don't have to have all symptoms but often the most common sign of underlying cancer is loss of appetite and weight loss. I literally have none of those. Also a very common symptom of ovarian cancer is feeling full quick after eating even small portions. I have the exact opposite of that, I hardly feel full and even after a big meal I can sometimes still feel hungry, or feel hungry again about an hour later.

But if I get the same cramps at the same time next month I will go to the doctor, just to be on the safe side.

I hope they don't take my womb and ovaries away though because then I'll go into early menopause and I don't want to lose my feminity at 32 years old.