Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2022, 4:38 pm

Has anyone watched?

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 10:07 am

I've seen most of it (may have missed some of the first season) and my impression is largely negative.

If you haven't seen it, they have 2 seasons and some of the participants are different, but with one exception they are largely dependent on family or caregivers. The exception is a couple who are already a couple when introduced. In their case, the man is so high-functioning that he didn't even suspect being on the spectrum until his fiancée suggested it whereas to me his fiancée seems not so much on the autism spectrum as intellectually disabled (when interviewed he frequently helps her reply to simple questions).

The others are put under the guidance of a dating coach and dates are arranged, typically at restaurants during which the participants are interviewed as is typical for a reality show. In my opinion these dates are a stress-inducing experience, more like a job interview and we know that's one thing anyone on the spectrum dreads.

After both seasons, the only participants who actually establish relationships are gay. Except for the aforementioned couple, the heterosexual participants i.e. those with a clear heterosexual preference, predominately male, walk away empty handed. There is one success I suppose involving 2 relatively low-functioning people whose relationship I believe won't go beyond highly supervised hand-holding "intimacy". The gay couples however seem to be entering into what most people would recognize as "typical" intimate relationships, even one in which one partner lives in a group home.

There was another situation of a woman being brought in to supposedly romance one of the men but they conceal the fact she is asexual and annoyed by all the sincere attention the guy gives her (she actually posted about this on Reddit).

Overall a very discouraging message for most people on the spectrum, although I can see how many NTs might think the show charming and some LGBTQ+ activists might applaud the representation, but this wasn't promoted as an LGBTQ+ show but rather a show about autism.

I wish I had the resources to make a different sort of show.

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 12:21 pm

MaxE wrote:
I've seen most of it (may have missed some of the first season) and my impression is largely negative.

If you haven't seen it, they have 2 seasons and some of the participants are different, but with one exception they are largely dependent on family or caregivers. The exception is a couple who are already a couple when introduced. In their case, the man is so high-functioning that he didn't even suspect being on the spectrum until his fiancée suggested it whereas to me his fiancée seems not so much on the autism spectrum as intellectually disabled (when interviewed he frequently helps her reply to simple questions).

The others are put under the guidance of a dating coach and dates are arranged, typically at restaurants during which the participants are interviewed as is typical for a reality show. In my opinion these dates are a stress-inducing experience, more like a job interview and we know that's one thing anyone on the spectrum dreads.

After both seasons, the only participants who actually establish relationships are gay. Except for the aforementioned couple, the heterosexual participants i.e. those with a clear heterosexual preference, predominately male, walk away empty handed. There is one success I suppose involving 2 relatively low-functioning people whose relationship I believe won't go beyond highly supervised hand-holding "intimacy". The gay couples however seem to be entering into what most people would recognize as "typical" intimate relationships, even one in which one partner lives in a group home.

There was another situation of a woman being brought in to supposedly romance one of the men but they conceal the fact she is asexual and annoyed by all the sincere attention the guy gives her (she actually posted about this on Reddit).

Overall a very discouraging message for most people on the spectrum, although I can see how many NTs might think the show charming and some LGBTQ+ activists might applaud the representation, but this wasn't promoted as an LGBTQ+ show but rather a show about autism.

I wish I had the resources to make a different sort of show.

I’ve watched it. I actually quite relate to Jimmy, the one who got diagnosed late. I’ve struggled with finding myself, and figuring out why I feel so different. Some people are diagnosed late in life because they are able to get by with masking. I think Shanae has autism, as a doctor knows better than me.. and diagnosed her at 5.

Something that irritated me with this show is the feeling that they were almost making fun of those on the spectrum on the show. Narrowing in on awkward conversation so the NTs can laugh.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2022, 11:44 am

Brainiac42 wrote:
I’ve watched it. I actually quite relate to Jimmy, the one who got diagnosed late. I’ve struggled with finding myself, and figuring out why I feel so different. Some people are diagnosed late in life because they are able to get by with masking. I think Shanae has autism, as a doctor knows better than me.. and diagnosed her at 5.

Unlike you I don't accept all autism diagnoses as gospel and am willing to dispute whether the diagnosis was accurate in her case. But then we'll never know more than we already do.

Brainiac42 wrote:
Something that irritated me with this show is the feeling that they were almost making fun of those on the spectrum on the show. Narrowing in on awkward conversation so the NTs can laugh.

That's exactly the same way I feel about As We See It and yet it got an 8.2 rating on IMDb. It's a carnival side show.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2022, 11:49 am

Brainiac42 wrote:
Has anyone watched?

No. I'm not interested in such shows.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

KMCIURA
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Feb 2022, 5:28 pm

Watched several episodes.

It is a mockery of people with Autism.

Show is written and lead by people who obviously do not understand challenges of people with autism and aren't autistic themselves. In turn, they are shoehorning these cast into social situations they are visibly not comfortable with. They do not try to even explain what autism is and what causes certain behaviours of people in the show. You know, during an era of colonisation, indigenous people were quite often captured and shown in zoos or circuses in Europe as "humble savages", for entertainment. This is what this what this show does - it degrades from being complex human beings into pure, innocent and hilariously awkward child-like subjects.

This show is circus made for NTs to laugh at comedy value of people severely impacted with ASD, which is evident when you take it into account that there are few highly functioning autistic people in there and most of the cast is still very young and inexperienced not only when it comes to dating, but life in general.

Take a look at what POSE means to trans and gay black and latino communities. One of executive producers is a trans-woman who went through what many characters in the show did. Gay characters are played by real homosexuals, trans-women by real trans-women. The show pays respect both to people who it is about and historical source material.

Love On The Spectrum is trash, comparatively. I know that it isn't the same format, but it is clearly made to be "fun" for the audience, with parts of it done on what borderlines with slapstick comedy.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2022, 5:34 pm

KMCIURA wrote:
Love On The Spectrum is trash,

I'll take your word for it. I find most TV is trash.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2022, 5:39 pm

^Reality Television is just a bunch of hogwash, anyway. Glad I've never heard of a show such as this. :roll:

Minuteman
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Feb 2022, 4:31 pm

MaxE wrote:
the man is so high-functioning that he didn't even suspect being on the spectrum until his fiancée suggested it whereas to me his fiancée seems not so much on the autism spectrum as intellectually disabled (when interviewed he frequently helps her reply to simple questions).

The introduction was probably the funniest part of the whole series.

"Have you consummated the relationship?"
"I don't know what that means ... do you know what that means?"
"Yes"
"What does it mean?"
"Guess"
"Ohhh ... uhhh ... yes we did."

MaxE wrote:
There is one success I suppose involving 2 relatively low-functioning people whose relationship I believe won't go beyond highly supervised hand-holding "intimacy".

Ronan and Katie were a cute couple. But you're right -- Katie having Down Syndrome probably rules out a "traditional" relationship.

killerBunny
Raven
Raven

15 Feb 2022, 5:42 pm

Cut ,

Hey so like the producers are worried you aren't acting ret*d errr oops autistic enough ,

Can we do this again and act like you know,

this probably happened on set.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2024, 8:58 am

The second season of the American version is now streaming on Netflix

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

NibiruMul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Feb 2024, 8:08 pm

KMCIURA wrote:
Watched several episodes.

This show is circus made for NTs to laugh at comedy value of people severely impacted with ASD, which is evident when you take it into account that there are few highly functioning autistic people in there and most of the cast is still very young and inexperienced not only when it comes to dating, but life in general.

Take a look at what POSE means to trans and gay black and latino communities. One of executive producers is a trans-woman who went through what many characters in the show did. Gay characters are played by real homosexuals, trans-women by real trans-women. The show pays respect both to people who it is about and historical source material.

Most of the time you see anything with autistic people in it, it's made with neurotypicals in mind. I wouldn't be surprised if this show had neurotypicals posing as autistic people.

While a lot of things have improved for people of color and LGBT people, the same can't be said for disabled people, especially autistic people. During the George Floyd protests I was hoping that things would finally change for autistic people and that we'd get a reckoning. But alas, we didn't. The status quo was preserved and continues to be preserved.

Also, just because an autistic person is dependent on family or caregivers doesn't mean that they're child-like or immature. I am dependent on my parents and I am very much aware of the world around me and how things work. I knew what "consummate" meant when I was still in school. The problem is that I feel like some of the participants on this show probably didn't want to date. Autistic people, regardless of independence, should be allowed to consent to dating. You can't force people to date if they don't want to.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2024, 10:23 pm

NibiruMul wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if this show had neurotypicals posing as autistic people.

All the cast members are autistic.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman